How to get back at it?

Options
Last year, I was doing so good.
Zumba, yoga, dance, aerobics, swim, etc. Great dieting.
I still eat healthy now but after witnessing two of my friends be killed in a car accident... I was diagnosed with PTSD and became extremely depressed, stressed, and not myself by any means. I am active (cattle rancher) but I went from 175 lbs. To 215 lbs.
THIS IS NOT ME. I have gone through lots of counseling and my mental health is improved and is continuing to improve but how do I get back to my physical health??
It makes me upset and when I try to jump back into my old habits at my peak... I fail. How do I gradually get back to how I was?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that, that's an awful thing to have happened.

I sympathise with trying to get back into it too, I was training twice a week, going to the gym and working on running my first 5km, now I barely manage to get out for a walk and I couldn't run 100m. I'm just starting back at the bottom and working up again, remembering me at my peak as the goal, not the starting point and concentrating on the things I did to get there in the first place.

I also remind myself a lot that being able to do only 20% of what I could do before is better than doing 0%, and I WILL improve.
  • weightlossmfp1
    weightlossmfp1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tha
    I'm really sorry to hear that, that's an awful thing to have happened.

I sympathise with trying to get back into it too, I was training twice a week, going to the gym and working on running my first 5km, now I barely manage to get out for a walk and I couldn't run 100m. I'm just starting back at the bottom and working up again, remembering me at my peak as the goal, not the starting point and concentrating on the things I did to get there in the first place.

I also remind myself a lot that being able to do only 20% of what I could do before is better than doing 0%, and I WILL improve.

Thank you so much. I guess I will just have to start from the bottom again. Baby steps are better than nothing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You don't/can't just jump back into your peak...you have to rebuild your fitness. I was injured last year and went from riding 100+ miles per week, lifting, etc to basically not being able to do much but a little walking for about 4 months...there's no way I could have just jumped back into things...I had to start slow and work things back up...just how it is.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am also quite glad to hear you are seeking help. That being said, PATIENCE. I know, easier said than done. But you have to allow yourself to heal mentally. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You will get back on track. It took time and practice the first time around, and success does not come overnight. You know, because you have had success in the recent past. I am having a similar problem: I injured my abdominus rectus muscles Halloween last year during a Spartan Beast. Ab muscles take a million years to heal, and I am just now starting to be able to do a little. It is SO frustrating, to go from 4-5 days a week in the gym, lifting alltheheavythings, and running 5-6 Spartan Races a year...to being told to stay out of the gym for a while and let the muscle heal. Start at the beginning...and remember to breathe. Give yourself time, the rest will come. Best wishes to you.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    A while ago I tore my meniscus, so I had to stop my 3-mile runs and aerobics for months. Packed on a few pounds during that time and was miserable about it. Now I'm healed. Hard to get back into it, but here's what I do: I write down my Zumba class start time on my calendar for the upcoming week. I had to buy bigger workout clothes (ugh) but I put those on and I go to class. I congratulate myself for just showing up. It's taken a while to build up my stamina, but I finally stopped comparing myself to my pre-injury self. Two months ago I actually sometimes walked out of the class after a half hour, but now I do the whole hour and feel great that I can accomplish that. I am going to apply this way of thinking and resume yoga classes next week (it's on my calendar now!)
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i would recommend just to track what you eat, even if you don't change your current habits. get a week under your belt with being consistent, then look at reducing calories and getting back into the swing of it. for exercise, start small. go to the gym even if all you are doing is 10-20 minutes on a treadmill. if you want to do weights too, do what you feel like, but get some time building a habit of going and doing, then the jump to upping your game will be easier now that you have your feet underneath you again.
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am also quite glad to hear you are seeking help. That being said, PATIENCE. I know, easier said than done. But you have to allow yourself to heal mentally. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You will get back on track. It took time and practice the first time around, and success does not come overnight. You know, because you have had success in the recent past. I am having a similar problem: I injured my abdominus rectus muscles Halloween last year during a Spartan Beast. Ab muscles take a million years to heal, and I am just now starting to be able to do a little. It is SO frustrating, to go from 4-5 days a week in the gym, lifting alltheheavythings, and running 5-6 Spartan Races a year...to being told to stay out of the gym for a while and let the muscle heal. Start at the beginning...and remember to breathe. Give yourself time, the rest will come. Best wishes to you.

Wow thank you so much. Best of luck to you too. It feels good to have someone I can relate to
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    i would recommend just to track what you eat, even if you don't change your current habits. get a week under your belt with being consistent, then look at reducing calories and getting back into the swing of it. for exercise, start small. go to the gym even if all you are doing is 10-20 minutes on a treadmill. if you want to do weights too, do what you feel like, but get some time building a habit of going and doing, then the jump to upping your game will be easier now that you have your feet underneath you again.

Thank you so much!! I restarted today. I ate under my calorie goal and I went on a long walk.
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    A while ago I tore my meniscus, so I had to stop my 3-mile runs and aerobics for months. Packed on a few pounds during that time and was miserable about it. Now I'm healed. Hard to get back into it, but here's what I do: I write down my Zumba class start time on my calendar for the upcoming week. I had to buy bigger workout clothes (ugh) but I put those on and I go to class. I congratulate myself for just showing up. It's taken a while to build up my stamina, but I finally stopped comparing myself to my pre-injury self. Two months ago I actually sometimes walked out of the class after a half hour, but now I do the whole hour and feel great that I can accomplish that. I am going to apply this way of thinking and resume yoga classes next week (it's on my calendar now!)

I'm so glad to hear that.. I will be doing that same thing eventually. I love zumba and yoga. I started today by going on a long, nice walk. I felt it was best for me for a day one exercise.