How long...

Options
So I've jumped back onto MFP and stuck my fitbit on since Friday... I'm an eager beaver to lose weight I have stuck to a -500 calorie deficit...

Now my question is, I weighed myself the Friday and now desperate to weigh myself already to see if I've lost anything. I don't however want to disappoint myself yet so how long should I wait until I next weigh in?

Also looking for friends to help motivate me so please feel free to add :)

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Most people weight once a week (or even daily to understand the fluctuations ) . Personally I'm like you and really want to see what the scale is saying. But generally I tell myself that I shouldn't expect anything for three weeks while my body adjusts to the new routine. That being said, typically people lose a bunch of water weight at the beginning so you might actually see higher than average numbers at the start! Either way, try not to let what the scale says affect your motivation or mood too much. ;)
  • suhashmi
    suhashmi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey eager beaver
  • suhashmi
    suhashmi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week it works well
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Weighing frequency is a personal preference, mostly dependant on how much the result is going to affect you pyschologically.

I prefer daily because it's helped me to understand the normal fluctuations which occur throughout the month and as a result I no longer freak out if the scale says I am up 5lb overnight. However, some people are extremely discouraged by seeing the scale go up, even with the knowledge that it's more often than not just water weight and prefer to weigh weekly of even less frequently and choose to go by the fit of their clothes, progress photos or measurements.

I would suggest you not get too hung up on how much you're losing from week-to-week because it's not straight-forward and there will be weeks when you don't lose at all, manage your expectations so as not to be disappointed. You didn't put the weight on in a week, don't expect that it will all come off in one.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Think about taking your weight every few days but use a pair of pants or something for reference. For me, muscle gain and weight loss made it discouraging for a few weeks...water retention etc.