Girls- average weight gain/fluctuation during period?

Options
Woodsmoke
Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I weighed myself on Wednesday, a couple of days before my period and I'd lost four pounds in ten days (woohaa!), then I screwed up with a takeaway on Sunday, walked for eight and half hours (by my calculations I more than worked it off!) but weighed myself yesterday and now the scales say I've put on two pounds. My period will probably end today.

Is this normal for period weight? What's your average temporary period weight gain?

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-3 lbs during my monthly girl time
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I gain up to 5 pounds :-(. So much water retention, my tummy looks like a water pillow ;-)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Around the 5lb mark on a bad water retention day, 1-3lb on a standard day. The takeaway probably just added to the water retention because of the sodium content.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My normal gain is around 4lb 8 days before flow which is when I ovulate.

I go down the day after flow starts.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Around 5lbs. The 2lb gain is just additional water retention, probably due to take away meals that usually have higher sodium content.
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    bluets2011 wrote: »
    I gain up to 5 pounds :-(. So much water retention, my tummy looks like a water pillow ;-)

*snicker* awesome way of phrasing it ^.^
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    between 2-5lb usually starting the week before and calming down near the last few days. I also have a lot of carb cravings around the first few days, so the water retention can be part of that! ;)
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Only a lb or 2... but it seems much more because my weight will not go down when i'm bleeding. :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am lightest the day before my period starts, then bloat up a pound or 2 the next day.
  • tlee278
    tlee278 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I average about 5lbs and I feel it too!! To counter it, I've been drinking extra amounts of water and really watching my sodium intake on those days.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Both before period and during ovulation. My all time record was hit last month when my weight shot up about 7.5 pounds for ovulation then acted as usual. I often lose most of my weight in the first two weeks, then my weight goes up for ovulation, then lose very little during the last two week with a gain right before period, then start losing again once my period starts.
    kwgat5sht4sj.png
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs...a few times more.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I can retain up to... wait for it... 10 POUNDS! No joke. I can EASILY gain 2-3 inches on my waist and tummy for the week.

On the upside, many women also get a metabolism boost during this time which is why we can get extra hungry and want to eat everything in sight.

I find that if I ignore the need to eat all the food in the city for those few days then my body becomes a calorie burning furnace and I come out of my TOM looking slimmer than before it started. This is also when i tend to see the best scale drops. Once TOM is over and the water weight is gone I get my most accurate view of weight loss for the month.
    *i retain water really easily so this is the time where my body is just kind of... calm and settled so that I can actually see what's happening with my calorie intake and if my deficit is on track or needs tweaking.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Usually 2-3 lbs during the first few days.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I can retain up to... wait for it... 10 POUNDS! No joke. I can EASILY gain 2-3 inches on my waist and tummy for the week.

On the upside, many women also get a metabolism boost during this time which is why we can get extra hungry and want to eat everything in sight.

I find that if I ignore the need to eat all the food in the city for those few days then my body becomes a calorie burning furnace and I come out of my TOM looking slimmer than before it started. This is also when i tend to see the best scale drops. Once TOM is over and the water weight is gone I get my most accurate view of weight loss for the month.
    *i retain water really easily so this is the time where my body is just kind of... calm and settled so that I can actually see what's happening with my calorie intake and if my deficit is on track or needs tweaking.

I am going through "shark week" (the beginning) and this sounds like a great idea! I ate back more of my exercise calories last night with dinner/good food, rather than going for the junk. I will be ignoring my cravings (tooth and nail) and see how this goes to also test this theory for myself as well.

I am also coming off of a 6.5 lb loss last week, I am not expecting anything crazy, but a LOSS none the less tomorrow (weigh in day). I am SO bloated today and am up almost 1 lb this week (as of today).

Fingers crossed it all works out, sucks we are all in this boat, but at least we are together! :) **Brightside

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I usually go up 2-3 lbs a few days before my period. On day 2 or 3 of my cycle, I'm about 1 lb under my weight for the rest of the month. I like that day.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    It depends if I'm crazy with intake or not. In general, about 2 pounds up the day before AF arrives and if I don't do anything weird or overeat, it all drops off with extra after AF leaves.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 2-3lbs before my period and ovulation. It comes off plus more within a couple days.

Hate retaining water, so discouraging!
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    14 pounds. It all comes off afterwards.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest and not watching what I was eating, easily between 10-15 lbs (that would all come off afterwards). The last few cycles I've put on 3-5 lbs, but then was followed by a whoosh. That has been pretty awesome.