Activity Level

Options
Lightly active or active? I walk at least 10k a day which includes 3 sessions of 30min of C25K training (on week 5), and 3 strength training sessions. My "run" is extremely slow and my weights are very low. What would you put as your activity level? If feels odd to say that I'm anything but lightly active but maybe that's a mental insecurity. It was hard for me to move past sedentary.

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I put my activity level to sedentary and then log all of my exercise as exercise. I work a desk job, but I go dancing or take dance classes 5-6 days a week.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    >5000 steps is sedentary
    5000- 9,999 steps is lightly active
    10,000- 11,999 steps is active
    12,000 or more steps is very active

75% of the time I'm "very active", 20% of the time I'm "active", 5% of the time I'm lightly active. I have a "desk job" but it requires me to get up and move quite often, I walk to and from work, I take walks at lunch, and I run 3 times a week. Personally, I've had mine set to "lightly active" and let MFP calculate my calories but since I'm averaging out at 12K steps a day I might change it to "active" and see what happens. I know my maintenance calories are 1900-2100 so I'm comfortable playing around with the settings a little to see what works best for me.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I would start out at Sedentary, and try HRM tracking/logging your cardiovascular exercise periods for a month. See how it goes. You can always change it.

I'm currently at lightly active after starting at sedentary. I log additional exercise periods outside of my weekly norm.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Are you using an activity tracker like a fitbit? Then I would set to sedentary and import your activity tracker data.

If you are doing something old school like a pedometer, then, I would go ahead and set it to active and see what happens. Use a site like trendweight and weigh regularly and then you'll see what your actual calories out was and be able to adjust from there. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What's your job? If your major activity in a day is a job, whether professional or as a student, which requires you to be seated for an hour each day, just one hour, you are sedentary. I stand all day at work, but I sit for an hour to commute to work and back home. I'm still sedentary.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit and set my MFP activity level to sedentary. I average around 12000 steps per day, sometimes more sometimes less. My Fitbit self adjusts MFP for me but I end up getting quite a few "extra calories" per day.

Do you use a Fitbit or activity tracker at all?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I do about 13K steps per day and "active" works for me but "very active" is too much. Play with it and monitor your weight over a few weeks-1 monthish.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    What's your job? If your major activity in a day is a job, whether professional or as a student, which requires you to be seated for an hour each day, just one hour, you are sedentary. I stand all day at work, but I sit for an hour to commute to work and back home. I'm still sedentary.

With respect to calorie burn, no. I have a "desk job" and sit for hours at a time (I'm sitting right now!) I also have accumulated 9K steps and it's 3pm with a lot of time to go. I average 13K/day... so no, not sedentary with respect to how much MFP will give you credit for.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Jonna13 wrote: »
    I use a Fitbit and set my MFP activity level to sedentary. I average around 12000 steps per day, sometimes more sometimes less. My Fitbit self adjusts MFP for me but I end up getting quite a few "extra calories" per day.

I have Fitbit charge HR. If I link that, it will adjust accordingly without worrying about the activity level?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    merekins wrote: »

I have Fitbit charge HR. If I link that, it will adjust accordingly without worrying about the activity level?

Yep, that's right.

It doesn't really matter what activity level you choose if you have a device synced to your account here. As it will auto correct up/down if you go above or below whatever level you've chosen.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Yep, that's right.

It doesn't really matter what activity level you choose if you have a device synced to your account here. As it will auto correct up/down if you go above or below whatever level you've chosen.

Well, that makes it a lot easier!
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yep, that's right.

Well, that makes it a lot easier!

It sure does :lol: I'm set at sedentary and just let my fitbit adjust. I average around 15k steps a day, but my active day ends around 4pm and i'm usually in bed by 7-7;30pm ( i watch tv in bed), so i lose a large swag of calories between then and bed time, because mfp expects you to keep up lightly active/active/very active til midnight.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I put my activity level to sedentary and then log all of my exercise as exercise. I work a desk job, but I go dancing or take dance classes 5-6 days a week.

Me too. I don't want to deal with activity levels, since mine are so variable from day to day. I'd rather start at the baseline and add any exercise I do back in.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh and i have the odd day here and there where i truly am sedentary, and watching my calories dwindle down throughout the day gave me anxiety! At least i know, even on my most most laziest day's i can surpass mfp's sedentary level.