Getting Beach Body Confidence

Options
I have had a real struggle with being confident with the way I look and with losing over 50 lbs it's helped, but I still cannot get confident with my stomach area :s . With the weight loss I have some extra flab/skin and because of it I cannot get myself to buy and wear a bikini like everyone wants me to wear (they're supportive with the weight loss and trying to boost up my confidence). I am hoping that I will getting a bikini will be the first step along with getting down and doing some abdominal exercises but I'm still having difficulty with the idea. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas that they use when it comes to owning your flaws during the summer? Thanks. :)

7xdc8gpbcgvt.png

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! And it's great that others around you are supportive, but the more important question is: do YOU want to wear a bikini? If so, have you tried some on recently? Swimwear shopping can be stressful IF you let it. Just try on a bunch of different styles (1 piece, 2 piece, etc.) and several different sizes. Don't get caught up on the size numbers. Those tend to be all over the map. There are also a lot of really cute cover-ups of all shapes, sizes and textures. Just give it a try!

And, I believe in OWNING my uniqueness year-round. Get rid of the word "flaws". Be proud of your body all year, not just when you may be wearing swimwear.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    do YOU want to wear a bikini?

+1 First off - way to go!!! Be proud no matter what you wear. If you want to wear a bikini... do it!. you've earned it! As far as confidence... over 50 pounds... over 50 effing pounds!!!! c'mon! over 50 pounds! When you try on your bikini... you strut around saying that :smiley:
  • CoppersMommy08
    CoppersMommy08 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! And it's great that others around you are supportive, but the more important question is: do YOU want to wear a bikini? If so, have you tried some on recently? Swimwear shopping can be stressful IF you let it. Just try on a bunch of different styles (1 piece, 2 piece, etc.) and several different sizes. Don't get caught up on the size numbers. Those tend to be all over the map. There are also a lot of really cute cover-ups of all shapes, sizes and textures. Just give it a try!

And, I believe in OWNING my uniqueness year-round. Get rid of the word "flaws". Be proud of your body all year, not just when you may be wearing swimwear.

Thanks for your response :smile: I have a strapless one piece along with another one piece that I wore last summer however I'm trying to get myself to get a bikini to start getting some self confidence but it hasn't been easy. I've had a few people tell me to "own up" to my flaws but I still feel embarrassed by my stomach and think it looks hideous. It's been a work in progress.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss! i know i personally feel most confident when i dress for my shape. even when i am feeling super stoked on my body and my weight loss, as soon as i put on something that does not flatter me my confidence plummets. forcing yourself to wear a skimpy bikini to the beach *if that's not what you feel most comfortable in* is not going to inspire confidence. high waisted bikinis are really in fashion right now and there are a ton of cute options - you could try something like that!
  • CoppersMommy08
    Options
    work_on_it wrote: »
    do YOU want to wear a bikini?

+1 First off - way to go!!! Be proud no matter what you wear. If you want to wear a bikini... do it!. you've earned it! As far as confidence... over 50 pounds... over 50 effing pounds!!!! c'mon! over 50 pounds! When you try on your bikini... you strut around saying that :smiley:

I've actually lost more than 60 lbs but I'm working on losing 6 more until my target weight. I looked at a bikini I wanted online but go figure one of the pieces isn't available in my size :neutral: thinking about calling the stores or just taking the trip to see if they have it in inventory there
  • CoppersMommy08
    Options
    bronnyd wrote: »
    congrats on your weight loss! i know i personally feel most confident when i dress for my shape. even when i am feeling super stoked on my body and my weight loss, as soon as i put on something that does not flatter me my confidence plummets. forcing yourself to wear a skimpy bikini to the beach *if that's not what you feel most comfortable in* is not going to inspire confidence. high waisted bikinis are really in fashion right now and there are a ton of cute options - you could try something like that!

Thankfully the ones I've looked at aren't skimpy and cover a good amount of skin, but I've looked into the high waist style and it's just not my forte :(
  • trazter31
    trazter31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Bikinis are tough - I have some really thin friends and they aren't even comfortable wearing them! Go try on a bunch of styles and colors and buy the one that makes you look best (it doesn't have to be a bikini)- maybe you'll love how you look in a tankini.