Another newbie to MFP...

Options
Hello everyone,

I've been using MFP just over a week now, after a friend of mine told me about it. I've had a good first week and a decent loss (-4.5lb - woop!) which is a really promising start. I've made a few friends through my friend who introduced me, but thought I might start to investigate the forums too...

I'm a 26-year-old guy, self-employed, musician (performer/composer) and arts-lover.

I've always struggled with my weight since first got into a habit of bingeing as a teenager, and it's always there as a coping mechanism when I go through low periods of stress/mild depression. I know that it's a stupid thing to do, because often the reason I feel down relates in some way or other to body image worries (or in my head it does), so it's completely self-destructive. But I'm older now, and feel a bit more able to recognise warning signs, even if I still don't always feel in control.

I've had the most weight loss success following Slimming World - last time I lost 2.5st, but then kinda got complacent and have eventually piled most of it back on since leaving a couple of years ago. I want to try something different this time, and this site looks like it could be more realistic in the long run (SW is great insofar as you can eat big portions of certain things, but for me lacked flexibility at times...). Also this website and iPhone app are a zillion times better.

I hope to lose the best part of 5st eventually, but know from experience that it's one day at a time... It feels like a long way away, but life's too short not to enjoy the journey.

I always like to imagine that reaching my target weight would be the answer to all my problems, and that I would instantly ensnare a husband, get signed, rich, and generally become a better person. I know this isn't the reality, haha. But yeah, it would be nice not to feel embarrassed about my size.

OK, over and out. This has been a bit of a ramble. If anyone wants to add me then please do!

Matt x

Replies

• chelseajillian5
    Options
    Hello and good luck!
  • lugovelb
    lugovelb Posts: 60
    Options
    HELLO and good luck i sent an add in your way
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Hey.. a dude that wears cardigans. I like that. And good luck, you can totally do it. This website rules. And stuff.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi and best of luck on your journey!! Sending a friend request your way!
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard, you can do it fi you really put your mind to it. MFP is a great resource and the support is fantastic.

Much success!
  • heathenpoet
    heathenpoet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone!
    Hey.. a dude that wears cardigans. I like that. And good luck, you can totally do it. This website rules. And stuff.

Haha, I'm all about the cardigans.
  • heathenpoet
    heathenpoet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the adds. Look forward to meeting you all on our journeys....
  • fateschild
    fateschild Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is a great site.