Zumba...More than 3 times a week

Options
kezell83
kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
Can you do Zumba more than 3 to 4 times a week? And if so, will your results be greater? I am aiming for 6 times a week.

Replies

• reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump. Good question. I wouldn't know why not.
  • sparetirebegone
    sparetirebegone Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for over a year and for awhile I was going at it 5 days/week sometimes two classes back to back. What I have found is initially it will help with getting you cardiovascularly fit and lose some weight, but you really need to add other things to the mix like weight training. If not, your body will get way too used to it and you will plateau. I have added the Zumba toning once a week, kickboxing once a week and weight training two days a week. Oh and also remember to take at least one day a week to relax (from exercising, not eating well, lol!)
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I used to do Zumba 4 times a week, then my grandfather fell and I needed to take some time off from my Zumba to be available to help him when needed. I was getting some great weight loss results. Now, I'm down to 2 times a week and, though my results are still "acceptable", they aren't as high as they were when I was going 4 times. I say, if you can go 6 times a week, then go for it! I know people who are working out hard at least 6 times a week - Zumba 4, strength training 1 & personal trainer 1 and they are getting AMAZING results!

Hope that answers your question :)
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    as long as your not over working your body... dont want to over work it...give yourself sometime to rest! plus your body may be come too use to it...its good to switch up your exercise ..muscle confusion to keep ur body burning the calories!! but i love zumba.... i would do it everyday if i could!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I often do 5 days/wk if I can make it :)
  • kezell83
    Options
    Thanks so much. It just seems like everywhere I have read ppl keep saying they do it 3 to 4 times a week. Now I love to weight train. So adding that into there will not be hard to do.
  • kezell83
    Options
    I am using the dvd's. So cardio party one day, sculpt and tone the next and then zumba live. I figured i would switch it up like that.
  • AshleyCarpenterLong
    Options
    I am using the dvd's. So cardio party one day, sculpt and tone the next and then zumba live. I figured i would switch it up like that.

I have the dvd's and have never even had them in the dvd player. Do you like them vs the face to face classes or have you ever been to one? Just curious. :)
  • kezell83
    Options
    To be honest I have never been to a class. I actually live in a small rural area we dont have them here. But i do like the dvd's. They kick my rear tho. Lol. But I will say this. I am so self conscious about my weight that I dont know if i could shake all this stuff in front of ppl. Lol
  • AshleyCarpenterLong
    Options
    We have classes here, but I feel the same as you. I'm not comfortable getting up in front of a bunch of people. So, I got the dvds. But they've been here collecting dust for over a year. lol. I need to get up off my lazy butt. lol!!!
  • kezell83
    Options
    I have 3 kids and have teeter tottering on whether to get up in the am to do it. After I get home from work its crazy, cooking, baths, bed all that good stuff. But saying i am going to get up and actually doing it is 2 different things.
    I need a pic of the torso of a physically fit woman to put up over my bed so when i wake up, thats motivation. Lol. then i might be able to get up.
  • doony19
    doony19 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'd actually like to try Zumba. I have bad knees though, do you notice it being hard on your knees at all?
  • kezell83
    Options
    I have one knee that isnt the best. But the more that i do it the better it gets. sometimes the impact from the dancing dosent feel all that great but livable.
  • ambarreto
    ambarreto Posts: 1
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories are burned doing Zumba? I tried searching it & noticed it is not on the list.
  • kezell83
    Options
    I went on ebay and purchased a heart monitor with calorie counter on it. Thats the only way i know how many calories i burn period. So any other answers would be greatly appreciated also. :)
  • Boo67
    Boo67 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suffer with knee pain but Zumba doesn't cause any probs at all, I go to at least 3 classes a week. I power walk & Zumba on alternate days. Wasn't keen on shaking my booty in front of a room full of people but bit the bullet & was extremely surprised. Not only was I NOT the only overweight woman, but I wasn't the eldest either (I'm 43). We have a good laugh & a good workout, lots of bonding going on & very good for my self esteem. Give it a go, you'll love the class support. :wink:
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Options
    I have been using my HRM off and on during classes. I generally burn 4 to 500 calories per one hour class. I think it depends on how well you know the routines. The better you know them the more energy you can put into the moves so you burn more. I have heard some say that you can burn 1000 cal/hr, but I have found that hard to believe.

BTW I am 5'5" and currently weigh 189 (I think weight and level of fitness play a part too). Like others have said on other threads/topics...best way to calculate is by getting yourself a HRM.

Have fun Zumba'ing
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories are burned doing Zumba? I tried searching it & noticed it is not on the list.

Get a HRM... seriously there is no way to know how much you are burning without it. I have burned as little as 275 in a 60 min class and as much as 650. If you do a live class it's always different and the amount you burn will depend heavily upon your instructor and the song choices. I thoroughly enjoy the live classes because the energy is contagious and fun and you never get stuck in the rut of doing the same routine over and over. I'm a bit of an exhibitionist though so I don't mind people watching me shakin' my booty... in fact... it motivates me even more because I don't wanna look like I'm being lazy or not giving it my all.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba at least two times a week. It's so much fun, and I wish I could go more, but I have 4 kids--you know how that goes...I also have the Zumba for Wii, but the live classes are so much more fun! My instructor is 41 years old, and she teaches 21 classes a week--Zumba, Zumba Gold (for older people), Zumba Toning (with weights). She's also certified in Zumbatomic (for kids) and AquaZumba (in the pool). She's in amazing shape. Anyway, she always says that you can burn between 500-1000 calories an hour, depending on your fitness level and how hard you go at it. When I log my numbers in here, I always go toward the lower side-500, so anything more is a bonus! I don't have a heart rate monitor, but a gal in class wears one, and routinely burns about 700.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started a few weeks ago going to a local Zumba class two times a week. It's offered 3 times, with a combo Zumba/toning class offered once a week. Our classes are an hour long with very little down time inbetween songs, so you are constantly going. I've become addicted, doing Zumba 5 times a week for the last 2 weeks. I go my class twice then do some workouts at home that I put together on YouTube the days we don't have class. On average, I'm burning around 500-700 calories for an hour session according to my heart rate monitor. I weigh 165 lbs and am 5' 2". Of course, the routines are still new to me and there are a few steps that I have modified until I learn them better, so once I get the routines down better I may rev up the calorie burn a bit. I know there was one part last week that I just stopped and jogged in place for a minute because I was totally lost! LOL But I do like it, it doesn't feel like a workout...it feels like a party. I admit, though, by the end of the hour, I'm beat!!

And yes, if you have knee or back problems/pain, you may have to modify the steps a bit, but I've found my knees, especially, do feel better once I get up and moving on a regular basis, even if at first they ache a little. Hope that helps!