What did you wish you knew back when you first started lifting?

Options
I am just starting to lift weights and wanted to hear what you guys and gals wish you knew when you first started. The time it took? The program that worked best for you? Was it easier or harder than expected?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what macros were.

what actual beginner programs were.

and how long it takes to really change your body.

lifting haphazardly for years meant I lost a lot on gains. unfortunately.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Proper Nutrition is 80% of the battle.
  • catherinestanford
    catherinestanford Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How important nutrition is. I've been working out for nearly two years and have only just stopped being in denial about the fact that I need to track my macros if I want to improve (my lifts and aesthetics have plateaued for MONTHS following the initial 'newb gains'.)

Also, consistency. It's no good to work out like a madman 6 days one week and then only once the next. Find a routine/frequency that you can realistically stick with on a long-term basis.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Being that was 35 + years ago. I wish there were access to info readily. Programs would of been nice as well as knowing what a deadlift was.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    How important nutrition is. I've been working out for nearly two years and have only just stopped being in denial about the fact that I need to track my macros if I want to improve (my lifts and aesthetics have plateaued for MONTHS following the initial 'newb gains'.)

Also, consistency. It's no good to work out like a madman 6 days one week and then only once the next. Find a routine/frequency that you can realistically stick with on a long-term basis.

That...it takes time, be in it for the long haul.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started lifting when I was 14/15 years old...I wish I would have understood the importance of structure and good programming rather than haphazardly doing whatever. Lots of wasted time.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd starting lifting at the same time as I started losing weight. Would have been nice to keep most of that muscle I'm trying to get back now :)
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am only two months old in lifting, doing SL 5x5.

The most important mistake I made so far is to focus on increasing load regardless of the form and technique.

I guess I realized early enough so avoiding the risk of injuries and taking the best advantage of each routine. The issue was the force of will to voluntarily reduce load.

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Aside from the "eat better/train better/program better"
    I wish I had known how to control my weight, even before I started lifting.
    I've spent a lot of time cutting weight just to gain it back extremely quickly. RIP all the gains that were lost.
  • coleRam
    coleRam Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The correct form when squatting and deadlifting. Form is everything. Get the proper form and save your spine.
  • mariodw4
    mariodw4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wish I had known about HIT or "Heavy Duty", in my youth. Would have been further along vs. now, at 40.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nothing. I had a lot of fun learning along the way. I maybe would have started with 5x5 instead of Wendlers.

That said, I was on these forums a lot so my nutrition was in line and I was quick to get on a program.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Macros/protein!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. Wish I had started earlier! However, even after only 4 months I have really noticed a difference in strength!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    That it is probably OK to ask stupid questions. I spent a lot of time trying to figure stuff out by myself rather than ask. :D
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The importance of rest, recovery, and mobility! Now I know but I still struggle w/ implementation.
  • Desertcolt07
    Desertcolt07 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    do it more...do it harder
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    20 years ago, when I started lifting, I wish I'd listened to the folks who advocated for the big 3...