IIFYM Diet

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jumping on this thread, I've been trying to do this for well over a month now and not seen any changes, weight wise or inch wise. I've gotten to the point where I pretty much quit trying to do this. Just started back up and hoping to see some changes.

Do you weigh everything on scales? If you're not losing weight, you're not eating in a deficit.
  • mattbirchfield
    mattbirchfield Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No, I dont have access to scales. If anything, I try to overestimate the oz of whatever I'm eating
  • runner1130
    runner1130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    More of a lifestyle than a diet. Just eat what you want in your calorie range - honestly people look too much into it.

That's just calorie counting, not IIFYM. With IIFYM you can't just eat whatever you want, it has to y'know .. fit .. your .. uhhh .. macros

He does specify to eat within your calorie range which by definition is what IIFYM is. When you add the protein, the fats and the carbs...the total gives you the number of calories you need to hit.

May I ask how much did you have to pay to join IIFYM? Thanks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    runner1130 wrote: »
    filbo132 wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    More of a lifestyle than a diet. Just eat what you want in your calorie range - honestly people look too much into it.

That's just calorie counting, not IIFYM. With IIFYM you can't just eat whatever you want, it has to y'know .. fit .. your .. uhhh .. macros

He does specify to eat within your calorie range which by definition is what IIFYM is. When you add the protein, the fats and the carbs...the total gives you the number of calories you need to hit.

May I ask how much did you have to pay to join IIFYM? Thanks.

It's free...
  • mattbirchfield
    mattbirchfield Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's free if you understand it. There are a lot of people that are trying to make money off of it.

Let me make sure I understand the process, here is what I got from a common IIFYM macro calculator:

Protein Grams: 162
    Fat Grams: 72
    Carbs Grams: 131
    Fiber Grams: 29-39

Now, if I exercise, my garmin logs that data in MFP, and my macros go up. Do I eat to MFP level or the previous macros. How about my calories? What if I go over on Cals in order to hit the macros?
  • piefeck
    piefeck Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My trainer set me up with macros. It takes a while to get used too but it's still amazes me how much healthy food you can eat within your range. Junk food is okay, but you don't get to eat as much then.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    No, I dont have access to scales. If anything, I try to overestimate the oz of whatever I'm eating

This is exactly why it's not working. Your overestimating your serving sizes. You can crab a kitchen scale like $20 at Walmart or Amazon.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

You are not overestimating, you are doing the opposite. A scale is 15$; get one!
  • lindsayTalk
    lindsayTalk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's free if you understand it. There are a lot of people that are trying to make money off of it.

Let me make sure I understand the process, here is what I got from a common IIFYM macro calculator:

Now, if I exercise, my garmin logs that data in MFP, and my macros go up. Do I eat to MFP level or the previous macros. How about my calories? What if I go over on Cals in order to hit the macros?

You always wants to hit your protein within +/-5g. Same on carbs and fats but protein is the most important. Also, don't eat back your calories, the IIFYM setup should assume your overall activity level. Focus on the macros, you may go slightly under or over on calories but it should be close.

If you have Facebook try looking up the IIFYM page and read through their info, or Reddit's IIFYM page.

A scale is important, until you actually know what 100g of chicken looks like you may be over or under eating, they're cheap on Amazon or at Walmart and Target. Also track alcohol by grams, most of it can be found already in MFP. So if you have 100 cals of vodka you will divide by 4 (calorie per gram of carb) = 25g carbs for your entry. If you want to use grams from fat instead then same concept but divide by 9 (100/9)=11.11g fat.

I'm not an expert, I just started last month but had a coach give me a surplus of info and my macros.

Good luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

If that happens, you're doing something wrong.

All macros are worth calories

Protein and carbs = 4 cals per gram
    Fat = 9 cals per gram

If you drink alcohol, that is 7 cals per gram

(fiber isn't a macro, if you're adding it on top of your carbs somehow, that's a mistake. It's just a recommendation for good health)

If you're hitting protein, fat and carbs but severely under or over your cals, your entries are wrong and need to be checked
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I love my scale and am so glad I listened to people here about it! I'm learning a lot about realistic portions and what it feels like to eat the right amount of calories each day. it makes me honest. Helps with faster recipe prep, too.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have personally tried all different macro percentages before, and really it hasn't mad a difference that I can notice for me. As long as my calorie totals are in line, my results are pretty much the same.
  • burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have personally tried all different macro percentages before, and really it hasn't mad a difference that I can notice for me. As long as my calorie totals are in line, my results are pretty much the same.

I think this is true if your metric is a number on a scale.
    ... but if you're interested in recomp, etc . ... then the tyoe of calorie is hugely important.

One person will loose more muscle than another person at the same caloric deficit with differebt macros ... but they will both lose the same amount of weight.
  • burntoutphilosopher
    Options
    And as others said ... invest 20$ ... get a scale. No way to guess. Just no way.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

... but if you're interested in recomp, etc . ... then the tyoe of calorie is hugely important.

One person will loose more muscle than another person at the same caloric deficit with different macros ... but they will both lose the same amount of weight.

You're jumping to a lot of assumptions buddy. How do you know how I measure my results? And I didn't say weight loss either did I? I have had plenty of times that I was recomping, gaining muscle or trying to cut body fat. And I've used lots of measures to weigh my results such as dexa scans, body measurements, photos, and calipers.

As I said, for me PERSONALLY, the macro percentages don't really affect my results enough to worry too much about it. Its been more about the calories I'm consuming (deficit, maintenance OR surplus) and the training I'm doing in the gym.

And its Lose not loose BTW.
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options

One person will loose more muscle than another person at the same caloric deficit with different macros ... but they will both lose the same amount of weight.

You're jumping to a lot of assumptions buddy. How do you know how I measure my results? And I didn't say weight loss either did I? I have had plenty of times that I was recomping, gaining muscle or trying to cut body fat. And I've used lots of measures to weigh my results such as dexa scans, body measurements, photos, and calipers.

As I said, for me PERSONALLY, the macro percentages don't really affect my results enough to worry too much about it. Its been more about the calories I'm consuming (deficit, maintenance OR surplus) and the training I'm doing in the gym.

And its Lose not loose BTW.

Some people have a hard time understanding we're all effected by that which we eat differently.

What are your current macros though?
  • burntoutphilosopher
    Options
    That was a really aggressive response. First time I've experienced that on here.
  • burntoutphilosopher
    Options
    I wasn't speaking about you personally at all.

... just pointing out the scientifically substantiated fact that type of macro does influence body compisition.

For example if you eat ten grams of protein a day ... it will be harder to build muscle as synthesis is less efficient... and protein breakdown (and bcaa's) are anabolic in their digestion.
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That was a really aggressive response. First time I've experienced that on here.

She can speak for herself but I'd like to think she's cool peoples. It's all good brother.