Calories vs Macros on myfitness calculator

Options
Hi,

Please can someone explain why my macros are above what they are supposed to be. For instance I ate over 2g , 3g and 4g of carbs, protein, and fat but my calories are still under my 1700 calories.

Am afraid that I am.overeating?
Can someone help explain this.
#BBCode

Replies

• MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The database entries for some foods could be incorrect, meaning the macros may not add up to be the same as the calories. Aim to meet your calorie goal, and don't stress too much about the macros going over.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The database entries for some foods could be incorrect, meaning the macros may not add up to be the same as the calories. Aim to meet your calorie goal, and don't stress too much about the macros going over.

Unless you're tracking macros then make sure you hit your macros.

Either way, you need to double check your entries. Nutrition info can be rounded, so it may not be an exact match between calories and macros, but there shouldn't be massive discrepancies.
  • RASCHOON
    RASCHOON Posts: 8 Member
    Options

It's funny as I am tracking my macros and the advice is the exact opposite of that. They say to ignore the calories and just track to the macros.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    RASCHOON wrote: »

It's funny as I am tracking my macros and the advice is the exact opposite of that. They say to ignore the calories and just track to the macros.

Who are "they" that say to ignore calories and just track macros? You can have perfect macros and be in calorie surplus. Calories for weight loss. Macros for health and body composition.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Who are "they" that say to ignore calories and just track macros? You can have perfect macros and be in calorie surplus. Calories for weight loss. Macros for health and body composition.

Macros translate directly to calories, so if your macro goal is set for weight loss and you hit it you will also be hitting your calorie goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

If you're tracking macros and you eat in a calorie surplus, guess what's going to happen...
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to understand it all. Today for instance I have hit my macros but will have 200kcals left to eat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

dalerst wrote: »
    I'm struggling to understand it all. Today for instance I have hit my macros but will have 200kcals left to eat.

Are you talking about macros in grams, or a percentage breakdown? People tracking macros (doing IIFYM) generally work in grams, so they correspond directly to a certain caloric value.

Percentage breakdowns isn't the same thing - you can hit a certain % breakdown in one meal regardless of the calories you ate.