How to deal with plateu

Options
Hi, I find myself becoming very discouraged as I am not losing any more weight after an almost 10 pound loss. I tend to use up my exercise calories too by the way when logging my food. How can I get over this struggle? I need to lose about 80 more pds.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more of CONSISTENCY with diet and exercise conducive to weight loss. If you've NOT been consistent for 6 consecutive weeks, it's not a plateau. Most people stall because they aren't consistent.
    Are you measuring your food ACCURATELY? Are you measuring your calories burned accurately?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Blezzed888
    Blezzed888 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been at this weight for 2 weeks now without losing any weight and when I track my meals, I try my best to jot down the most accurate results. I lost the 10 pds in 2 months.
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If your eating the same type of foods our bodies get use to it. Take away one item and switch it to something else. Less carbs more protein and drink lots of water. Change up routines of exercise also. Doing the same exercises every day stalls out and tricking the body with a different exercise each day helps.
    Just know plateaus are only for a short time and eating healthy is a lifestyle change for the rest of our lives.
    Less processed food and more fixing meals ahead of time help. Food prepping for a week is great if a person can do it.
    Just all ideas!!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    hunhun57 wrote: »
    If your eating the same type of foods our bodies get use to it. Take away one item and switch it to something else. Less carbs more protein and drink lots of water. Change up routines of exercise also. Doing the same exercises every day stalls out and tricking the body with a different exercise each day helps.
    Just know plateaus are only for a short time and eating healthy is a lifestyle change for the rest of our lives.
    Less processed food and more fixing meals ahead of time help. Food prepping for a week is great if a person can do it.
    Just all ideas!!

You can not trick your body.

OP, how are you calculating your calories burnt? MFP tends to be on the high side so if you're using that and eating those back it could be putting you over your calorie goal.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    hunhun57 wrote: »
    Just all ideas!!

I think the "body gets used to it" is a myth. At least at this point, she has only been doing this for two months. More than likely OP is not logging everything accurately
    OP, keep going. Make sure everything is logged accurately.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Adjusted your calorie goal lately? MFP will not adjust your goals automatically (at least, not by default... if you can make it do it, I'm not sure how). About once every 10 pounds I go into settings and recalculate my goal based on current weight. Or whenever I feel like I'm getting stuck. As somebody else already pointed out, short-term "plateaus" happen. I recently suffered 8 days of gains despite eating below my goal every day. It was maddening (and 3 days into it I recalculated my goal, to no immediate avail) but eventually the dam broke and the weight started coming off again. Dropped 4 pounds in a single day shortly thereafter. Just keep working.