Can't control my calories

Options
suenewberry81
suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
I currently go to slimming world which I've lost 8.5lbs but that's taken me 3 months because I've no will power and tired of being restricted with food
Calorie counting I seem to be always hungry so I always go over my calories!
I work full time in a school and also work the odd Friday and Saturday evenings babysitting
I have 3 young children so I don't have much time to myself and always tired so I turn to food, to get to my ideal weight I need to lose 25-30 lbs so I have a fair bit to lose
Any advice would be great xx

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Play around with your macros. Everyone finds different macros fill them better. For me I find carbs (Fibre) the most filling so I ensure I eat a lot of it.
    Others find protein the most filling.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I currently go to slimming world which I've lost 8.5lbs but that's taken me 3 months because I've no will power
    I think it may be useful for you to not to focus on willpower, but instead build better strategies, environment control, habits, mindset. Yes, you can indeed control your calories!
    and tired of being restricted with food
    and not restrict food type, only amounts.
    Calorie counting I seem to be always hungry so I always go over my calories!
    And not restrict calories so much that you get more hungry than usual.
    But be aware that feeling hungry isn't a sign of imminent danger. It's just a feeling, that will come and go, and it is not based solely on the need for food, but also on circumstances, habits, preferences.
    Also be aware that the idea of restricting calories can in itself make you feel more hungry.

To lose weight you need a consistent calorie deficit. You don't need to count calories. Maybe you can have better success with another approach. All you have to do is eat less. Not much less. If you are overweight, your TDEE is higher than normal, which means that you just have to not overeat. I find it easier to not overeat when I eat a variety of balanced and tasty meals that I look forward to, and avoid temptations, and get enough sleep and rest. It is still a challenge sometimes.
    I work full time in a school and also work the odd Friday and Saturday evenings babysitting
    I have 3 young children so I don't have much time to myself and always tired so I turn to food,
    Being busy makes some people "forget" or "not have time" to eat. You are the one who chooses to eat and not rest.
    to get to my ideal weight I need to lose 25-30 lbs so I have a fair bit to lose
    Any advice would be great xx
    That isn't a lot. It will take time. Let it take the time it takes, you have no other choice.
  • skinnymeenae
    skinnymeenae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also if you are that active, you may need more calories, that is, if you have MFP set to Sedentary perhaps you should change it to Lightly Active?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately to lose weight you have to restrict your intake, its reality :/ you must want to lose weight enough to put in the effort. But you can make small changes which will help get you on your way to losing. Logging your food intake is a tool, it works and its doesn't take long. Set yourself a small goal to begin with, say 10lbs.

You can do this if you put your mind to it.
  • Marigolds333
    Marigolds333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Only keep healthy food in your house. If you snack, it will still be calories, but at least it will be healthy calories. Fill the fridge with veggies and maybe have some hummus for a dip.Read labels carefully when shopping. Cut out foods high in fats, salt , sugars ( high frutcose corn syrup especially). Those foods make you crave more food. Since I have cut those foods out I am not hungry during the evening like I used to be. And since your children are young , this is a good time to get them interested in healthy and diverse foods. :) And make sure you make time to at least walk and exercise.
  • Marigolds333
    Marigolds333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM
    Take the time to watch this video on sugar on You Tube.. It will change your whole perspective on food, and grocery shopping in general. I know it did for me. ❤ This is VERY worth watching, although it is long.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    OP I sense you're ok with a slow loss. I wonder if you may feel less deprived by keeping one meal a day "normal" for you and focusing on tbe other 2 meals and snacks as the healthy low cal parts of your day. I'm down 35# so far this year. There have been a few weeks when I've had more than usual calories at supper, but focused on protien, veggies and fruit the rest of the day. I do log everything as it allows me to see over time what works and what doesn't. I do believe one of the key components to success is not feeling deprived. Has to be something we can do for life. Good luck!
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My problem is planning I never plan, My kids are 13,10,7 and a hubby so keeping unhealthy food out the house is impossible
    I do want to lose weight but love food so much I eat way to much of it
    Going to plan a menu and see if I can make some of my favourite meals low calories
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My problem is planning I never plan, My kids are 13,10,7 and a hubby so keeping unhealthy food out the house is impossible
    Going to plan a menu and see if I can make some of my favourite meals low calories
    Challenge all that!
    Why don't you plan?
    Are you eating other people's food?
    Why are you letting your children eat unhealthy food??
    Are you sure calling tempting foods "unhealthy" doesn't just make them even more tempting?
    Everybody loves food. But you can't lose weight/keep it off if you consistently eat too much. Eating too much is not how you show love.
    You can have all your favorite meals, and you don't even have to make "low calorie" versions! Just eat smaller amounts, and eat high calorie items more rarely.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have been trying low carb here lately and my appetite doesn't seem as big. Do what works for you. It does take effort and you have to be willing to work at it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Play around with your macros. Everyone finds different macros fill them better. For me I find carbs (Fibre) the most filling so I ensure I eat a lot of it.

I like fat! And protein. But also find I can't go too low on carbs. Lol.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I agree that you could challenge those assumptions. My kids are 20, 13, and 11. I'm in charge of the food and cooking, so I decide what comes into the house. We get treats occasionally, but our normal state of things is food that needs to be actually cooked, or nutritious grab-and-go snacks. Very little that anyone would be tempted to overeat. They can make requests, but they know that non-nutritious food is reserved for our once-a-week take-out and dessert nights. :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I like fat! And protein. But also find I can't go too low on carbs. Lol.

This is me :lol: Fat is probably my favorite macro. I'm also miserable without carbs. I struggle the most to meet my protein goal.

OP, I'm not sure anybody *likes* eating in a calorie deficit. It's simply a means to an end, and there are ways to make it easier. You've gotten some great advice so far. Planning helps, as does pre-logging as much as possible. That way you know when/what treats you have room for. I'm also less likely to eat 'just a little more' or 'just bit of that' when I've already logged my meal. It's a head game, but it works for me!
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Planning is definitely the hardest and most important part!
    What works for me is to plan a filling dinner each night, it reduces night snacking at my house. It's the only meal we eat as a family so everyone can eat the same thing.
    Also plan out the week's meals and only buy what is needed that week or what is on sale. If there are no easier options I stick to my plan! If I don't plan we end up eating take out and 1500 calorie dinners and I get fatter and fatter :'(
    Your kids aren't really that young anymore, have them help get healthy meals ready so they learn those skills and you have more you time! You'll have a house full of teens before you know it, the more independent they are the better (food-wise anyway)
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Start with easily attainable goals. Reduce your calorie intake by 200 or 250 cal per day, not 500 or more. Don't start with a goal of losing 2 pounds a week, start with 1 pound or even 1/2 of a pound.

Start tracking how much water you drink and try and increase that amount. Often we think we're hungry when were actually thirsty.

If you do the grocery shopping, you choose the food. To stuff that fits within your calorie allotment, but don't worry too much about cutting out your favorites, even if they are "unhealthy" you can make those adjustments and cuts later on once you get used to your calorie allotment.

Stop thinking of food as healthy or unhealthy. Some foods are nutrient dense and some foods are not. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat foods that are not nutrient dense. For instance, iceberg lettuce isn't nutrient dense, that doesn't make it bad to eat, neither is popcorn, most popsicles, etc but all of these foods can easily fit into a daily calorie allotment .

If you love pizza or ice cream or whatever, work it into your calorie allotment. If you find that those foods make you bench, do not allow them in your house or allow them in your house but keep them in a specific a drawer or section of the fridge that you cannot touch. Break your binging pattern, if you have one, by finding other foods that fill that craving but don't make you binge.

You already seem to work out to some degree, which is great! But if you want to exercise more, consider, while watching TV, marching or doing some other type of walking while the TV is playing. It's very low intensity and it doesn't burn a ton of calories but it's better than sitting. Work your way up to doing push-ups lunges and other exercises.

Try setting one new goal each week or each month and letting these goals become habits. You can do it, you just need to have reasonable expectations about how fast you will lose and remember that weight-loss is not linear.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Cut out foods high in fats, salt , sugars ( high frutcose corn syrup especially). Those foods make you crave more food. .

that may work for you but those doing keto eat high fat/sodium,and who says those things make you crave more food? I eat a lot of carbs and dont crave more food. its not going to be the same for everyone.

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Do you exercise?
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy alternative to eat. When you want to eat, eat and apple or an a banana or lean protein. If you are really hungry, you'll be willing to eat healthy and if you are not really you won't.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Find a real reason to change. You clearly know all the problems you're facing, and you know all the ways to fix them. Finding a real reason and passion for changing yourself is what it takes. That is what will allow you to go from just wanting to change, to deciding to change. Putting those wants to action, you have to make a decision to change and you can, and it can happen in an instant, but in the end, it really is up to you to make that decision.