Is intermittent fasting good for mentaining weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• sonstott63
    sonstott63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have talked to my trainer about this, and he tells me that it'll help lose a little weight but mainly lose body fat.
  • waffle944
    waffle944 Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lol @filbo132 - I agree with you, I dislike when people say hand-wavy things like "this diet will help you focus on fat loss". Losing weight is hard as it is, and it doesn't help when people are inundated with all sorts of nonsense.

I wanted to share a recent study that was published about alternate-day fasting -- it's pretty well done and in a top journal. Quick summary is that they found no significant difference between people who tried alternate-day fasting v. a normal calorie restricted diet. But there were some participants who found fasting to be helpful and saw good results, and the researchers demonstrate the difference for these people is merely that they stuck with it.

So takeaway: all that matters is picking an approach at your calorie maintenance level that you can stick with. If IF does that for you, go for it!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I expect the main interest in IF is not weight management but life extension benefits.

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I expect the main interest in IF is not weight management but life extension benefits.

Many people might be interested in this aspect of IF, but I think most people will veer towards just skipping breakfast each day instead of the longer term fasting. I'm not sure the benefits (if eventually shown to be true) will be as significant with just skipping breakfast, but who knows.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Trust me, my main interest in IF is in appetite control.

I don't care how long I live and feel that is up to chance. I'm concerned about the quality of the years I have left.

I found out long ago that my first meal of the day turned on my appetite switch. The longer I delay that meal, the less I eat throughout the day, thus making IF a great weight loss/management tool for me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Trust me, my main interest in IF is in appetite control.

I don't care how long I live and feel that is up to chance. I'm concerned about the quality of the years I have left.

I found out long ago that my first meal of the day turned on my appetite switch. The longer I delay that meal, the less I eat throughout the day, thus making IF a great weight loss/management tool for me.

Every single word of this applies to me, too.

I'm not interested in the unproven, woo-driven 'benefits' that are attached to most every WOE. I'm only interested in a method that works for *me* to more easily control caloric intake that doesn't involve omitting entire food groups, taking expensive and ineffective supplements or potions, or exercising to the point of injury and/or exhaustion.

IF does that for me. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Most likely any WOE that gives appetite control will result in better health markers and life quality.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    You have to try it itself. It has helped me to loose body fat even when I meet my macros faster than just eating regular. I think because ur body get a longer time to burn off ur fat and while fasting. More agressivly as well because we need the energy. The only think is that it suppresses appetite so sometimes I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat by the end of the night.

How do you know IF helped you to lose body faster than just "regular" eating.... Did you have an identical twin living your exact life at the same time eating the same food over more hours of each day?

Because I've lost weight a few years back without IF and it took a longer time to loose the fat than it did when I did IF.