Can i build muscle while trying to lose fat

Options
2»

Replies

• jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Yes, but there are many things that factor into results.

Rank new lifter.
    Obese.
    Program.
    Age.
    Size of deficit.
    Protien intake.
    How much testosterone you have.
    Rest.

Lifting can bring sucessful strength gains regardless and if that is a goal of yours, enough said.

Other things to consider are retaining muscle, future goals, strengthening skeletal structure, conditionimg connective tissues.

My goal is to be stronger and healthier. I want to overcome eating unhealthy and be healthy as my family has diabetes and stuff. I was 162 5'1 and am age 22. Im now 148 but before k had a baby i was 126. At 126 i could have stil lose another 6lbs. I want to look good but mostly health wise be a healthy person. Although id love to have nice lean legs glutes and shoulders but i know i have to burn the fat off first
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Resistance training while in a deficit will help you minimize any muscle loss...you will lose more muscle in a deficit if you aren't ding resistance training.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It is possible. If a fitness trainer is joy in your budget, I would download fitness buddy. Free app. You can subscribe to premium but not really necessary. There are several free workout regimens. That's what I use. I drink a protein drink for recovery and as foods with a high protein to calorie ratio as I can.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To add, if you want, here is a list of good resistance based programs that can support your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lifting weights now is the best thing you can do. I am a smaller size at 25lbs+ heavier than I was at 25lbs lighter.so at 140 I was a 10 and 166 Im a 6/8.
  • jla2425
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    To add, if you want, here is a list of good resistance based programs that can support your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thanks ill have to look
  • jla2425
    Options
    It is possible. If a fitness trainer is joy in your budget, I would download fitness buddy. Free app. You can subscribe to premium but not really necessary. There are several free workout regimens. That's what I use. I drink a protein drink for recovery and as foods with a high protein to calorie ratio as I can.

Ya no time for a trainer i only workout at home have dumbells resistance bands and a long hallway for jogging and youtube workouts
  • jla2425
    Options
    lifting weights now is the best thing you can do. I am a smaller size at 25lbs+ heavier than I was at 25lbs lighter.so at 140 I was a 10 and 166 Im a 6/8.

Wow that's awesome
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will retain a lot more of your muscle and being fairly new to lifting, may even add some. Make sure you eat enough protein (1 g/lb lean body mass) and follow a progressive lifting program. Focus on technique so that as you advance in lifting, it doesn't hold you back.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jla2425 wrote: »

Wow that's awesome

thanks and I did it all at home. we have no gym/ymca/ywca/rec center so no trainers . I started out with lighter weights and resistance bands and worked my way up to heavier weights and a weight bench/barbell and heavy weights
  • neilhoopy
    neilhoopy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Up your protein intake 1.5 - 2 x your body weight in kgs. Yeh lift weights
  • jla2425
    Options

Wow that's awesome

thanks and I did it all at home. we have no gym/ymca/ywca/rec center so no trainers . I started out with lighter weights and resistance bands and worked my way up to heavier weights and a weight bench/barbell and heavy weights

So motivating as i have two babies. No gym time or extta finances flr trainers or programs.
  • jla2425
    Options
    Yes, you will retain a lot more of your muscle and being fairly new to lifting, may even add some. Make sure you eat enough protein (1 g/lb lean body mass) and follow a progressive lifting program. Focus on technique so that as you advance in lifting, it doesn't hold you back.

So im not sure what my lean body mass is ? I weigh 148 so would i need to eat 148 grams ?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

So im not sure what my lean body mass is ? I weigh 148 so would i need to eat 148 grams ?

You will be good with 120g. You can go up to 150 if it helps with compliance.
  • jla2425
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

You will be good with 120g. You can go up to 150 if it helps with compliance.

120 is good i find getting high protien to be hard somedays i usually eat chicken and than fish or ground turkey and a protien shake a day and still don't always meet that.