My morning routine

Options
I looooveee coffee. Every morning after I get my baby back asleep, I sit on the porch and sip away. But I'm horrible, and like creamer and sugar. Every time I drink it, it makes me feel rather gross.

If I don't drink coffee though, I'd probably kill everyone.
Someone help me!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Drink it black! Or make room for the sugar and creamer and don't feel gross and/or horrible. It's a drink, not tax evasion. Or use less sugar/creamer, or less sugar and milk, or
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You have to find a way to make it fit in your calories for the day. How you do that will be individual to you. I did it by adding a quarter-cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and one tablespoon of creamer to my morning coffee. 57 calories.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Why not sugar free creamer?
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I will have to try the almond milk maybe. I have found that milk upsets my stomach lately.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried stevia in your coffee? I like it as a sugar alternative, but I know that it's not for everyone. I've heard that some people don't like the aftertaste, or it gives them headaches, etc. I have also used sugar free french vanilla creamer before and I thought it tasted just as good in my coffee as the regular variety. If you love coffee and your alone time on your porch with your cup, then you don't have to give it up.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coffee it has helped me stop drinking energy drinks. I just use sugar free creamer in my coffee. I work shift work so I rotate back and forth from days to nights. I work either 6:30 A.M. to 6:30 P.M. or 6:30 P.M. to 6:30 A.M. so some sort of energy is a necessity.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the drink it black comment. It's an acquired taste, but once you have it, you'll never add anything to it again! Or make some room in your calorie budget for your additives.
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    I'll have to try stevia! I would drink it black, but I'm a total weenie. Maybe it's the brand of coffee i'm drinking!
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    Might be just easier to make room in the budget. Will it inhibit my weight loss if I don't choose a healthier option?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Might be just easier to make room in the budget. Will it inhibit my weight loss if I don't choose a healthier option?

As long as you're still meeting your calorie goal, no.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Oh, coffee. I love coffee. I use 1/4 cup whole milk and half a Splenda in mine, and as I add more coffee, I DON'T add more milk. It gets progressively darker, but the calories remain constant and measureable. And don't make that big a dent in my calorie budget.

I tried drinking it black, but I just can't. It's totally worth those 39 calories every morning.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Just drink it and make it fit within your calories, no guilt!

I love my morning coffee too. I can't live without it. Before I started logging, I was using regular creamer, but at the expense of a couple of hundred calories a day - which I would honestly rather eat than drink. I drank it black for a while but it felt like it didn't really fill me up like it used to, like it didn't do anything to suppress my appetite.

Now I've been using coffee mate sugar-free powdered creamers. I weigh it and at 30 cal a cup, I feel satiated and I can wait until 10 or 11 to eat breakfast most days. Light Swiss Miss packets are 25 cal each, and one in a cup of coffee is awesome! Only they're more expensive than the powdered creamer so I let myself have one per day. :-) I drink about 3-4 cups per day total.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes better with coconut milk. Almond milk changes after heat.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I will drink coffee black, but I much prefer it with half & half - to me coffee is a creamy drink! I used to drink it with sugar and a ton of cream, but weaned myself completely off the addition of sugar and now just add a splash of cream to it. It's worth the 25-30 calories to me!
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »

I love my morning coffee too. I can't live without it. Before I started logging, I was using regular creamer, but at the expense of a couple of hundred calories a day - which I would honestly rather eat than drink. I drank it black for a while but it felt like it didn't really fill me up like it used to, like it didn't do anything to suppress my appetite.

Now I've been using coffee mate sugar-free powdered creamers. I weigh it and at 30 cal a cup, I feel satiated and I can wait until 10 or 11 to eat breakfast most days. Light Swiss Miss packets are 25 cal each, and one in a cup of coffee is awesome! Only they're more expensive than the powdered creamer so I let myself have one per day. :-) I drink about 3-4 cups per day total.

I feel the same way! Most days coffee is my "breakfast" and then I wait and eat lunch later. Otherwise, I feel like I'm hungrier and then I end up overeating by the end of the day. That's really not bad, 30 calories!
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    I think it tastes better with coconut milk. Almond milk changes after heat.

If only I liked coconut
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What can possibly make you feel gross about a nice cup of coffee? Personally I find sugar superfluous, but cream is yummy and really doesn't add that many calories. Just enjoy it and stop worrying about the 35 or so calories you're getting. Or worry and log them, but I'm sure you can find room for another 35 calories in your day. (Or fewer, if you switch to some less caloric sweetener.)

I have cream with coffee every morning, and have inadvertently overshot my target weight by 3-4 lbs. So no, it won't significantly impact you.
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    I will drink coffee black, but I much prefer it with half & half - to me coffee is a creamy drink! I used to drink it with sugar and a ton of cream, but weaned myself completely off the addition of sugar and now just add a splash of cream to it. It's worth the 25-30 calories to me!

I would definitely have to wean myself off of the sugar! My husband puts a couple ice cubes in and chugs it black. I can't do it! I like to sip and enjoy my creamy coffee.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »

I feel the same way! Most days coffee is my "breakfast" and then I wait and eat lunch later. Otherwise, I feel like I'm hungrier and then I end up overeating by the end of the day. That's really not bad, 30 calories!

I agree - when I add creamer to my coffee, I'm far less hungry for the rest of the morning. I have a fairly large coffee habit, so my morning cream habit is between 105-175 calories a day. I'll cut this out if I need to make room, but that only happens a few days out of the month. On days when I drink it black, it's a lot harder to make it to lunchtime without needing an extra snack.