How much weight (water) do you gain during ovulation?

Options
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I'm needing some reassurance.

After logging/weighing my food and consistently being in a deficit of 500+ calories a day for the past week-I've gained 1.6 lbs this week! I wear a Fitbit and tend to eat most of my extra calories, goals set to 1lb per week. I'm sure it's just water weight because of hormones, but man this stinks!

So how much do you gain during ovulation, and when does it come off?

Kinda feeling a little bummed.

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can easily gain up to 5 pounds but it's usually 2 to 3 pounds. Sometimes it doesn't come off until my period is over.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @Maxematics, pretty sure from other threads that you're in maintenance now, but when you were losing, when you did finally see the drop in water weight, did you also see a further drop to account for the thermodynamics of your deficit?

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    @Maxematics, pretty sure from other threads that you're in maintenance now, but when you were losing, when you did finally see the drop in water weight, did you also see a further drop to account for the thermodynamics of your deficit?

While I was losing I didn't seem to hold onto as much water or notice it as much. From 139 to 121, I Iost 2 pounds per week like clockwork. Once I got lean enough and changed my body composition, it seemed like I held more water/it became more noticeable.

I had to get used to it though because at this time last year once I hit my goal weight, I thought I was maintaining at 110 but after my period my weight plummeted from 113 to 108 and stayed there. I realized that from ovulation until the end of my period I'm basically up by 3 to 5 pounds. Then from the last day of my period until my fertile phase, I'm at my leanest. After that my lower abs disappear once again. :(
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • TalaNrys
    TalaNrys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've found I'm in the same boat a lot of the time OP. I keep a spreadsheet on excel that keeps track of my daily weight, my calories in, and my fitbit calories out, and then I also track my PMS/menstrual cycle. I can tell really quickly from day to day if I'm not drinking enough water, or when I get closer to my period. It's not unusual for me to fluctuate 5-10 pounds in just water weight based on whether or not I'm drinking enough water during my cycle.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I gain about 3. I'm ovulating now and I get so bogged down with pain and a round belly. Sucks.
  • rtgreen23
    rtgreen23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I gain around seven
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do you guys get the water weight gain the day of ovulation or days before?
  • blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I put on between 3-7lbs. It's so annoying & I feel so bloated & miserable.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    4 lbs. I gained mine last night. It's awful, but it goes away.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 I gain mine during ovulation (end of week 2 of my cycle) *and* in the 2-3 days before my period. The day after my period starts, the weight vanishes, but the hungries don't. :(
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Usually about 2lbs - which I noticed this morning. Ugh. Perfect ending to a terrible week.
  • bbell1985
    Options

It's about the day of, maybe one day before for me.

ETA to my post above. I assumed I'm ovulating but I could be starting my period and feeling a cyst burst. I can't tell anymore because my cycles went from normal, then I had amenorrhea, and now my cycles are like 40 days long. And both ovulation and menstruation are painful with lots of water gain.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

ETA to my post above. I assumed I'm ovulating but I could be starting my period and feeling a cyst burst. I can't tell anymore because my cycles went from normal, then I had amenorrhea, and now my cycles are like 40 days long. And both ovulation and menstruation are painful with lots of water gain.

Oh jeez. Sometimes it just plain sucks to be a woman! :confounded:

• bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Oh jeez. Sometimes it just plain sucks to be a woman! :confounded:

Sometimes it do
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've gained a couple. Of pounds.....hoping it will come off quickly.
  • womanisadevil
    womanisadevil Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Day before and 2 days during I tend to gain 2-3 lbs! I also over eat and lie in bed the whole time though because it's absolutely misery and I usually pass out from pain.
    I try to stay away from salt, which is what I CRAVE during. Makes the bloating so much worse.
    Last week I got very emotional about the bloating/swelling I looked like I regained the 17lbs I lost and then some... I was up about 6lbs the first day.

5"1' & 168lbs btw.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm up 5 lb right now due to ovulation, and super bloated. Gym sessions have been a struggle the last couple days. My appetite is also through the roof and I can't maintain my deficit right now. So frustrating.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I gain usually about 3-4 lbs around ovulation and it usually stick until after my period.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Around 4-5lbs at ovulation, more at TOM.