Dieting with no exercise

Options
I'm 24 years old, I'm 5'8 & weigh 302.8 I started dieting today & im going to be on a 1500 calorie diet. I've heard if you can eat better & count calories then even if you didn't exercise you would be able to still lose weight. I plan to incorporate exercise in my diet just not right now. My question is how long does a person lose weight just dieting before you have to exercise in order to lose the weight. Is there a certain time period? I'm curious to know. Thanks for any input!

Replies

• SazFour
    SazFour Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've lost 67lbs in the past year and a half without exercise and it's not stopping it's just slower because I burn less. There's no time period. As long as you're eating less than you burn you'll lose weight :)

Although I will say I wish I had started exercising/working out from day 1 because I'd be fit and strong now rather than just smaller but at the time I didn't care about that
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It would likely be different for each person. What you are asking essentially is how long can you maintain a weight loss goal before the pinch on your food intake becomes unbearable.

With your information and current weight your BMR is roughly 2600 calories per day and would drop as you lose weight.

Lets assume you are trying to maintain a 1500 calorie Diet

you would be able to lose from 303 down to 250 losing between 2lbs a week to 1.6 lbs (closer to 2lbs at the start and slowly lowering to 1.6 as you reach 250). So if we average 1.8lbs per week this will take roughly 30 weeks.

From 250 down to 225 you would be losing between 1.6lbs and 1.2lbs per week. Assuming 1.4 lb average it would take 18 weeks

from 225 to 200 you would be losing between 1.2lbs and .8 lbs per week. assuming 1lb average it would take 25 weeks.

PLEASE remember that this is rough math. NOT EXACT. based on you maintaining a 1500 calorie diet the entire way ( probably unlikely but i guess possible?) and no extra exercise or bad days which is VERY unlikely. This is just to give you a rough idea of the road ahead.
  • theron12
    theron12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    SazFour wrote: »
    I've lost 67lbs in the past year and a half without exercise and it's not stopping it's just slower because I burn less. There's no time period. As long as you're eating less than you burn you'll lose weight :)

Although I will say I wish I had started exercising/working out from day 1 because I'd be fit and strong now rather than just smaller but at the time I didn't care about that

Oh wow that's great! Hopefully I can do the same!
  • theron12
    Options
    It would likely be different for each person. What you are asking essentially is how long can you maintain a weight loss goal before the pinch on your food intake becomes unbearable.

With your information and current weight your BMR is roughly 2600 calories per day and would drop as you lose weight.

you would be able to lose from 303 down to 250 losing between 2lbs a week to 1.6 lbs (closer to 2lbs at the start and slowly lowering to 1.6 as you reach 250). So if we average 1.8lbs per week this will take roughly 30 weeks.

From 250 down to 225 you would be losing between 1.6lbs and 1.2lbs per week. Assuming 1.4 lb average it would take 18 weeks

from 225 to 200 you would be losing between 1.2lbs and .8 lbs per week. assuming 1lb average it would take 25 weeks.

PLEASE remember that this is rough math. NOT EXACT. based on you maintaining a 1500 calorie diet the entire way ( probably unlikely but i guess possible?) and no extra exercise or bad days which is VERY unlikely. This is just to give you a rough idea of the road ahead.

If MFP says I'll lose 2lbs a week eating 1800 calories. If I eat less than that would I lose more or about the same
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options
    theron12 wrote: »
    If MFP says I'll lose 2lbs a week eating 1800 calories. If I eat less than that would I lose more or about the same

You would technically lose more, however it is not really advisable to lose more than 2lbs per week. If you have a doctor monitoring you and you feel your body can handle it. talk about it with the doctor first. Keep in mind that most people would consider the bare minimum for a guy to be around 1500 calories per day. so while you might be able to squeak in a few extra calories to the weight loss its not going to be significant without exercise at that point. Probably better to be safer and controlled than risk other issues.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You would technically lose more, however it is not really advisable to lose more than 2lbs per week. If you have a doctor monitoring you and you feel your body can handle it. talk about it with the doctor first. Keep in mind that most people would consider the bare minimum for a guy to be around 1500 calories per day. so while you might be able to squeak in a few extra calories to the weight loss its not going to be significant without exercise at that point. Probably better to be safer and controlled than risk other issues.

At 300 pounds he should be fine losing at a quicker rate, since it's still below 1% of total weight (it would be about 2.5 pounds/week). I do agree that 1500 is awfully low, though.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

At 300 pounds he should be fine losing at a quicker rate, since it's still below 1% of total weight (it would be about 2.5 pounds/week). I do agree that 1500 is awfully low, though.

Agreed.

Either way you can do this OP, in about a year and half you could be a totally different you if you put in the effort! If you want a friend to help keep you motivated feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Friend me so I can message you. I started in the same place.
  • AshAlvarezz
    AshAlvarezz Posts: 113 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Due to my health problems I can't physically work out. I'm losing weight, slowly, but still losing.
    I've already lost 10lbs just this month. It can definitely be done.
    You got this!
  • theron12
    Options
    Due to my health problems I can't physically work out. I'm losing weight, slowly, but still losing.
    I've already lost 10lbs just this month. It can definitely be done.
    You got this!

That's great!!! You got it!
  • theron12
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Agreed.

Either way you can do this OP, in about a year and half you could be a totally different you if you put in the effort! If you want a friend to help keep you motivated feel free to add me as a friend.

Thanks for the encouragement I appreciate it!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without exercise
    ...but if you can get an hour's walk in every day you may find your allotted calories MUCH more manageable.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

No no no...thats the bare minimum you should be eating! I went this way once and while it felt great at first after a few months I started losing hair, having mood swings, etc. Eat the 1800.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising, but you really don't want to, if you are physically capable. I was one of those people who hated exercise, and didn't want to do it, but I started exercising by walking, and a couple months later, I started yoga...and I loved it. I'll spare you the details, but I've lost 70 lbs and have maintained it for half a year, and I eat pretty good. I feel GREAT. I exercise daily, and the key is to find something you like. I was thin and healthy as a child, but I LOATHED PE in school. Now I'm 53, and doing fun things like walking and talking with friends, figure skating, classical ballet, working out in a gym (the key is to find a trainer who can give you a workout you enjoy), yoga, and I have a long list of other things I want to do when I find time. Last weekend, on Sunday afternoon, I enjoyed kitten yoga...I voluntarily drove to another town, and paid to exercise for an hour, on a day I would have (in the past) spent vegging in front of the TV. Maintaining this weight is much easier, I feel better, and I enjoy life more now that ever...and you can too. Just start with baby steps...and keep trying different things until you find something you really enjoy. Good luck to you!! :smile:
  • theron12
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising, but you really don't want to, if you are physically capable. I was one of those people who hated exercise, and didn't want to do it, but I started exercising by walking, and a couple months later, I started yoga...and I loved it. I'll spare you the details, but I've lost 70 lbs and have maintained it for half a year, and I eat pretty good. I feel GREAT. I exercise daily, and the key is to find something you like. I was thin and healthy as a child, but I LOATHED PE in school. Now I'm 53, and doing fun things like walking and talking with friends, figure skating, classical ballet, working out in a gym (the key is to find a trainer who can give you a workout you enjoy), yoga, and I have a long list of other things I want to do when I find time. Last weekend, on Sunday afternoon, I enjoyed kitten yoga...I voluntarily drove to another town, and paid to exercise for an hour, on a day I would have (in the past) spent vegging in front of the TV. Maintaining this weight is much easier, I feel better, and I enjoy life more now that ever...and you can too. Just start with baby steps...and keep trying different things until you find something you really enjoy. Good luck to you!! :smile:

Hey! Thanks a lot! Really great motivation there. I appreciate it!
  • theron12
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

No no no...thats the bare minimum you should be eating! I went this way once and while it felt great at first after a few months I started losing hair, having mood swings, etc. Eat the 1800.

I was thinking that as well. I guess I could squeeze in some snacks in there