A healthy snack to binge on and reduce cravings?

Options

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 30 lbs however the cravings before lunch and dinner are always so bad! Are there recipes that satisfy the craving for carbs or sweets that is actually healthy for you? ):

What could you add to your meals that's high in fiber or protein, so you'll naturally reduce those cravings?

Also, binge? You're looking to binge eat something? O.o
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Apple slices with natural peanut butter (aka, not the sugary processed crap) or almond butter.
  • djchaney3
    djchaney3 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Has OP ever come back to provide more information? If not, I'm really not sure why people are providing suggestions of things that worked for them, without knowing more about what specifically the OP is struggling with.

The title calls others to read the post and the ideas posted will help many others with the same issues/questions I am sure.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    EllaLeahB wrote: »
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    If you have a blender you can make protein ice cream, makes a giant bowl and has changed my life <3

60 ml sugar free maple syrup
    120 ml unsweetened almond milk
    30g protein powder (recommend chocolate or cookies n cream)
    Entire tray of ice cubes
    3g xanthan gum

Add everything to the blender let it go 4-5 minutes.

Pour into a bowl and top with more syrup and a few crushed up cookies or pb2.. whatever you have the calories for.

150-160 calories depending on PP used and toppings. I will never waste $5 on Halo Top again!

Credit to this youtube video skip to about 7 minutes in to see the magic happen :)

Wonder if the consistency would still be good even if I didn't use sf-maple syrup in it..? I don't do well on artificial sweeteners.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    djchaney3 wrote: »
    Has OP ever come back to provide more information? If not, I'm really not sure why people are providing suggestions of things that worked for them, without knowing more about what specifically the OP is struggling with.

The title calls others to read the post and the ideas posted will help many others with the same issues/questions I am sure.

I actually hope no one is called into this considering that the title includes the word "binge" and I don't think that is a healthy approach to eating, regardless of whether the OP meant it in the sense of Binge Eating Disorder, or just "foods I can eat a lot of and not go off track" which is what I suspect she meant. But again, she hasn't been back to clarify what she meant.

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    strawberries! they satisfy my sweet tooth, they are in season now and they are low in calorie. They are also very filling.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Defrosted frozen blueberries yum!
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ice cold watermelon
  • xoxasma
    xoxasma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this has been said already but eating multiple times throughout the day spikes your insulin, leading to fat storage. You'll lose weight, but not nearly as much fat. Your meals should be as such to keep you full til the next one. I'd recommend eating 5+ times a day to someone trying to gain weight.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I found these pitas at Vons that are 112 cals on average. I throw one under the grill for a half minute each side and it gets nice and soft, and then I use some chocolate PB2 and a little jam. Delicious.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    xoxasma wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been said already but eating multiple times throughout the day spikes your insulin, leading to fat storage. You'll lose weight, but not nearly as much fat. Your meals should be as such to keep you full til the next one. I'd recommend eating 5+ times a day to someone trying to gain weight.

Do yourself a favor and delete this.4cgt38nw8hd6.gif
  • Aurora817
    Aurora817 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most people are addressing a presumed sweet tooth (understandably; carb cravings suggest that). Just in case there are others out there who crave savory/salt.... I've found that noshing on a few fresh radishes with just a few sprinkles of salt helps reduce cravings. The spiciness and crunchiness of the radish plus the saltiness is satisfying; plus the radishes are full of fiber and water which helps with fullness.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    djchaney3 wrote: »

I actually hope no one is called into this considering that the title includes the word "binge" and I don't think that is a healthy approach to eating, regardless of whether the OP meant it in the sense of Binge Eating Disorder, or just "foods I can eat a lot of and not go off track" which is what I suspect she meant. But again, she hasn't been back to clarify what she meant.

The title of this thread rubs me the wrong way repeatedly. No one should be binge eating anything, healthy or not.... The habit in itself is unhealthy, and the reason for needing to binge needs to be addressed rather than finding a "better" food to fill the need.
  • jlevendusky
    jlevendusky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is to die for....and is high in protein:
    1 cup of Fage 0% plain yogurt
    1/2 cup blueberries (use whatever fruit you like but I would say something without seeds maybe?)
    Protein Powder (I use 1 scoop of Quest Vanilla)
    I mix it all together and use a hand-held food chopper to puree the blueberries and blend everything. I divide it up into single servings and freeze it so I can grab it and go. It's awesome frozen or unfrozen.
    The best part is it takes 10 minutes to make...at most.
  • jazzy1lisa
    jazzy1lisa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always do sweet rice cakes
  • Stacius
    Stacius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have 100 cal popcorn bags when I'm craving something crunchy. I always have fruit of some kind on hand (apples, bananas, pears etc) as well. If I'm craving/wanting to eat more than two servings of snacks in a single day then I always look at what I'm eating too much of/not enough of in my main meals to ensure I'm not always hungry and craving snacks.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    GORP (Good Old Raisins & Peanuts). An ounce of each, using unsalted, dry roasted peanuts can cure a lot of cravings. Using unsalted peanuts not only helps with sodium but I find I am less likely to binge on them. It's 255 calories but sometimes you do need the calories to help you get from the snack to the next meal. Just budget accordingly.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    light yogurt. blue berries or strawberries. pickles, green beans. rice cakes. olives.
  • HealthyGoalie
    HealthyGoalie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cravings are a way of your body telling it needs something, should be natural, nutritient rich foods mostly though. Treats with care.

Logging foods helps with being more mindful about calories left, notice how the specific food fits in your calories remaining, how it affects macro's & enjoy.

Better have with care (now) then eating in large amounts later on (if keeping denying foods). Eventually going to have it anyway.

Don't deny any foods, when hungry allow to have anything desired with care, knowing if it's a healthier choice nutritient wise or a treat. Prevents binge eating. <3

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Veggie sticks. Celery, carrots, radish, cucumber, peppers, whatever. It takes a pretty ridiculous amount to hit 100 calories. I get tired of chewing first. Add some dressing or hummus to add some actual calories and you have yourself a ridiculous veggie binge. Plus you just got closer to meeting your five a day.