Maintainers - 5'7 females ??

Options
I'm 5'7 and trying to maintain 122 pounds. I had only 14 pounds to lose but now that I'm at my goal weight, I find it so difficult. There are so many temptations.

I also find I can't eat more than 1200 or 1300 calories a day, with 1 hour walking.

Anybody else having similar issues?

Replies

• skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm close to your stats, about an inch shorter holding at anywhere from 112-114. Some days I REALLY struggle eating 1200 cals, and other days I could eat closer to 1600. Maintaining seems to be VERY confusing! I'm trying my hardest to listen to my body - if I'm hungry I eat, if it's just my appetite, well, I reach for the water bottle :)
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining too, for almost a month and half and is not so hard at all. I'm eating about 2000 calories per day and also my workout routine and my weight is the same beside the fact that I'm getting more ripped, check the data base about you calorie intake, because if you are maintaining you should eat more :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    im 5 foot 7 around 118 pounds. I still have excess fat on my belly, but i have skinny arms and lost alot of inches from my bust. I keep reading that he only way to tone belly fat is to do cardio and lose body fat that way, but then I lose it in the wrong places and look too skinny!

however, i coul eat until the cows come home! did 1270 for several weeks, but have now upped to 1510 due to being hungry all the time!
  • Abrasue
    Abrasue Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 135. I seem to flex between 135-138 depending on my diet. I can kind of eat what I want. I try and limit food I don't cook (eating out) and just eat normal portions. But then again, I've only been maintaining for about 2 months. I'm also in the gym lifting and cardio about 3 days a week.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm phasing into maintenance right now, but at around 135. Personally, I would look very scary at 122 (been there and it wasn't pretty). 135-145 is very easy for me to maintain though. Maybe 122 is a little too light for you?
  • Abrasue
    Options
    I'm maintaining too, for almost a month and half and is not so hard at all. I'm eating about 2000 calories per day and also my workout routine an my weight is the same beside the fact that I'm getting more ripped, check the data base about you calorie intake, because if you are maintaining you should eat more :-)

3574379.png

horray! :)
  • Abrasue
    Options
    I'm phasing into maintenance right now, but at around 135. Personally, I would look very scary at 122 (been there and it wasn't pretty). 135-145 is very easy for me to maintain though. Maybe 122 is a little too light for you?
    [/quote

I agree. I was going to try and get down to 125 but I just know I would look sick that skinny. Maybe if you can get bulked up a bit and lower ur body fat percentage that way? when you are doing that though u really need to be eating more. and upping the protein!! :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Your body not only fights you when you lose weight but it fights you to maintain that new weight until you have maintained it for at least 2 months at which time it starts to see it as your regular weight and will help you to maintain it. However to see it as your regular weight it needs to know that it has enough nutrition to maintain it. Have you tried easing very slowly down in exercise a bit and then easing very slowly up with your calories. If you gain or lose during this time it won't see it as your regular weight. Once it sees this new weight as the regular weight then you should have a bit more leeway.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've been into maintenance for 5 months now. It's so hard for me. Even my husband said "I don't think you can eat more than 1200 calories". It seems if I go over, then I weigh more. I think I have possibly gained a pound of weight since starting to walk every day for an hour. I expected this to happen and that's why I originally went below my goal of 122.

I just get frustrated at how hard it is and how much I see others eat by watching them or looking at food diaries.

No, I don't think 122 is too skinny. I feel great when I'm thin. I've had all my bloodwork done also and am within the acceptable ranges for 5'7 female.

I only wish my arms were in better shape. They are the only thing that's too thin on me.

Good to see there are other 5'7 maintainers out there.

I just wish a day would come I don't have to count calories and watch every single thing I eat.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining too, for almost a month and half and is not so hard at all. I'm eating about 2000 calories per day and also my workout routine an my weight is the same beside the fact that I'm getting more ripped, check the data base about you calorie intake, because if you are maintaining you should eat more :-)

3574379.png

horray! :)

I am not an expert, but are you sure you are eating enough?
    I just checked two sites to estimate maintenance cals for 122 at your height, and got 1569 and 1736.
    http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/weight-maintenance-calculator-women
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I am also 5'7, or 6.5...depending on the day, it seems...and haven't been near 120 since middle school. I have a very muscular build, though, and have worked on farms and landscaping, so that certainly attributes for my heavier mass. I couldn't imagine trying to live on 1200 calories...
    Rather than aiming for a pound goal, why don't you go for a size and measurements? I would think you are probably a 6 now, and most likely could gain some muscle mass and be more toned in your arms and elsewhere...you might weigh a little more but still be thin and fit.
  • sarad777
    Options
    Like I said, if I eat more, I gain weight. I'm a size 26/27 in real size jeans and I guess that's a 2/4 in vanity sizing. I think it's great. I look fantastic. I am trying hard to tone up. I realize that also might make me go up a size. That's OK.

I've done the experiment of eating more. It didn't work for me. Perhaps my body is different than yours.

I do think that worked while I was losing weight but now that I am at goal it isn't working.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Like I said, if I eat more, I gain weight. I'm a size 26/27 in real size jeans and I guess that's a 2/4 in vanity sizing. I think it's great. I look fantastic. I am trying hard to tone up. I realize that also might make me go up a size. That's OK.

I've done the experiment of eating more. It didn't work for me. Perhaps my body is different than yours.

I do think that worked while I was losing weight but now that I am at goal it isn't working.

I still think that 122 is probably too light for you. I'm 136 and in a size 28 jean, size 4 pants and size 6 tops (always been busty). The main difference between you and me is most likely percentage of muscle.

My suggestion would be to very slowly raise your calories (maybe 200 a day for a week and then see how it's going; keep increasing til you're at a normal level), aim for 1 gram of protein per pound and to incorporate strength training.

So many women get stuck in the trap in which you've now found yourself; you don't like X body part or still see some jiggle somewhere and assume the solution is to have a very rigorous scale goal. Clearly, that's not gotten you the results you want. You can barely eat and you're still not happy with your body.

In reality, what's tripping most women up at this stage is an aversion to strength training and sometimes sloppy diets (while the calories may be carefully monitored, diet composition is too heavy in simple carbs and fats and proteins are too limited).
  • Abrasue
    Options

I still think that 122 is probably too light for you. I'm 136 and in a size 28 jean, size 4 pants and size 6 tops (always been busty). The main difference between you and me is most likely percentage of muscle.

My suggestion would be to very slowly raise your calories (maybe 200 a day for a week and then see how it's going; keep increasing til you're at a normal level), aim for 1 gram of protein per pound and to incorporate strength training.

So many women get stuck in the trap in which you've now found yourself; you don't like X body part or still see some jiggle somewhere and assume the solution is to have a very rigorous scale goal. Clearly, that's not gotten you the results you want. You can barely eat and you're still not happy with your body.

In reality, what's tripping most women up at this stage is an aversion to strength training and sometimes sloppy diets (while the calories may be carefully monitored, diet composition is too heavy in simple carbs and fats and proteins are too limited).

i agree with all of this. I would MUCH RATHER be 135 of all muscle then 122 and just skinny. but again, thats just me :D
  • sarad777
    Options
    I think my ultimate goal would be a bit more toned and around 123 or 124. I think I'm thin and love it. I was 136 when I decided to change as I had muffin top. Yuck!!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I think my ultimate goal would be a bit more toned and around 123 or 124. I think I'm thin and love it. I was 136 when I decided to change as I had muffin top. Yuck!!

Well, to be frank, simply buying pants that fit will eliminate the muffin top at any weight.

Apparently you're content to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life as you just keep rejecting any advice you receive. Good luck with that.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Well, to be frank, simply buying pants that fit will eliminate the muffin top at any weight.

Apparently you're content to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life as you just keep rejecting any advice you receive. Good luck with that.

I was just thinking the same thing about the pants! lol.... and the 2nd part.
    I would be so miserable eating 1200 cals only...maybe every now and then as a net, but not regularly.
    I also thought, OP, have you talked to your Dr and/or a nutritionist? and then I wondered what your body fat percentage is....

As long as you are happy, keep doing what you are doing....but if you still have questions, I think it is time to seek professional help ;)
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm about your height and have been in maintainence mode for about 3 months. My weight fluctuates between 118-122. I eat 1600 net calories... 2100-2200 total calories because I always eat my exercise calories every day. I think part of the difference is lean muscle mass. The more you have, the more you can eat!
  • sarad777
    Options
    Actually, due to my build. I have thighs. Then add muffin top. Impossible to find proper fitting pants. I have been there, done that. I look amazing in size 26 or 27 designer jeans. It's been many years since I have owned them.

I've had bloodwork done, seen the doc. Thyroid is slightly out of whack but so is my entire family. It's actually a bit hypothyroid so that could explain the problem.

You make it seem like I'm anorexic. Good lord.

Nothing unhealthy about being my weight. I was just saying its hard to keep on the right path.

I like the last poster who suggested it's the lean muscle mass. I'll keep working hard and hopefully I will be able to eat more.

I'll just consider this thread closed. I am not underweight.