60 Minutes per Month Plank Challenge - June 2017

Options

Replies

• roboliciousbob
    roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sort of unrelated and I searched back three pages and didn't find one... but I kinda wanted to do a monthly Push-up challenge or squat challenge or both. But I couldn't find any specific challenges. I am strength training challenged/prefer cardio, however I really want to change this about myself. Challenges seem to be a good motivator for me. Would anyone else be interested?
  • BexDun
    BexDun Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Total: 1min 30 secs
    1/Jun 1min 30 seconds
  • spinks06
    spinks06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to planks, but I'm going for 60 minutes!
  • 135terry
    135terry Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm trying again. Goal for June - 60 min
    June 1 - 4 min mixed planks
  • homeschoolmom77
    homeschoolmom77 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    June 1: 4 min

Total: 4 min done / 56 min to go
  • scyran
    scyran Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 60. I'm interested in the squats, too - I can really feel those work!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    June 1, None, Nada, Bumpkiss.. Rest Day for me. =)
    June 2, 2 x 4 min mixed planks, 1 x 2 min mixed plank (10 min)

Total for June 10 minutes, 170 left to go to goal!
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Sort of unrelated and I searched back three pages and didn't find one... but I kinda wanted to do a monthly Push-up challenge or squat challenge or both. But I couldn't find any specific challenges. I am strength training challenged/prefer cardio, however I really want to change this about myself. Challenges seem to be a good motivator for me. Would anyone else be interested?

Unfortunately squats I generally can't do due to a bad knee, but I do tons of pushups before and during my plank workout. On my last set of planks the last 30 seconds is a straight arm plank, so I do as many pushups as I can do during that last 30 seconds. Usually 10-15. Before the plank workout I do seven sets of 32 pushups lol. It is all I can muster so no need for a challenge for me, but I suggest working them into your planks. Keep in mind a straight arm plank is pretty much the upper position for a push up anyway.
  • roboliciousbob
    roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    June1: 3 Minutes elbow plank(1 minute plank with rests in between), 1 minute side plank(each side). Total: 5 minutes of planks for day
    June2: 3 minutes elbow plank(1minrest,repeat3X) 2 minutes side plank(1minrestrepeat2X) for total of 4 minutes worth, and I did leg rises for 1 minute but that's not a plank. Total for Day: 7 minutes

Total plank for June: 12 minutes

That's a lot of push-ups @Spliner1969 ! I am for the most part just now starting to add strength into my workouts for the week. I am getting closer to my goal weightloss (original 120 but I think I'll try to get close to 115 depending on how I feel). So I am starting to focus on switching over to recomp and ease into maintenance. Eventually I want to start lifting and replacing at least half my cardio days with strength. I have a bad ankle that at any moment I could twist it again(reacurring) and it'll probably be this way the rest of my life. I love running/cardio machines but its just so hard on a body.

As far as push-ups go, I did them before I did my plank stuff today. Right now I am pretty weak in comparison to other people but I have came a long way from not being able to do one regular push-up to now doing 3sets of 10 and I've checked, I can do 12 before I peter out and need a rest. In the past, I did them on my knees and never progressed past knee ones. This last month i tried a different approach that I read about on a blog or article. It's better to progress from wall/back of sofa/weight bench/then floor. And it worked for me! I'm finally doing regular push-ups! And even though it doesn't sound like much, this is huge for me and I feel so much stronger! I'm trying still to decide how I will challenge myself: numbers or choosing an actual push-up challenge workout from Pinterest or where ever. I want to be flexible but make progress by the end of the month. I need to think about this some more today and make a decision. I'm not sure I'll start a challenge board else where yet. I'll just keep track here with my planks for now.

June 1st:30 push-ups(3sets10)
    June 2nd:30 push-ups (3sets10)
    Total:60
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    That's a lot of push-ups @Spliner1969 !

It is, but I do them in sets like you during circuit training. I do 16 at a time, twice on each set, so 32 per set, seven total circuits/sets. Instead of straight up resting inbetween each group of pushups or whatever I am doing, I'll pace/walk to keep the HR up. I split them up as well, so I do 4 circuits, then go run a mile, walk a mile, come back and do 3 more circuits, then start in on planks, crunches, etc. It's a long process that takes about 90+ minutes for a solid full body workout, but splitting things up (like mixing up the planks) makes it do-able.

I wish I could simply bang out 100+ push ups, but not gonna happen for me right now lol. A year ago I started by doing 2 sets of 10 per circuit, so I've moved up to 11, then 12, then 13.. etc. until I am now at 16 per double set. So every time I add 1 to that number, it adds 2 per set, or 14 per workout. Also, the first 7x32 sets of pushups are elevated 18" off the ground (done to aid in quantity), the last ones done during planks are standard floor-style. When I started my journey I had zero muscle. I was a cream puff lol. A heavy one. I lost the weight in my first year, but wasn't able to gain much muscle doing it. I've spent a bit more than a year trying to build muscles where there were none (but not at a huge surplus of calories) so the increased quantity helps development in my case. If I were trying to make specific muscles larger the usual method is less reps more weight. I have back issues, knee issues. arthritis, etc. so I go for more reps rather than less. /shrug works for me.

• kiit1234
    kiit1234 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 60 minutes.
    June 2 - 2 min forearm plank
  • Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Goal 60 min.
  • BexDun
    BexDun Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Total: 4min 00secs
    1/Jun 1min 30 seconds
    2/Jun 2min 30 seconds
  • Cymrian2017
    Cymrian2017 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    June 1 - 0
    June 2 - 2 x 1 min plank

Total - 2 , 58 to go
  • homeschoolmom77
    Options
    June 1: 4 min
    June 2: 0
    June 3: 5 min

Total: 9 min done / 51 min to go
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    June 1: 0
    June 2: 2 x 30 seconds (with 30 seconds rest between) + 2 x 45 seconds

Total: 2:30 done/ 57:30 to go
  • wljohn
    wljohn Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    June 1st - 4.5 minutes planks
    June 2nd - zero

Total for June: 4.5 minutes
  • keepsmilin37
    keepsmilin37 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @Spliner1969
    I would like to join please, I am new to this and have never done the plank before. I think I may have to begin with bent arms as I am very overweight, I have no upper arm strength, a weak back and no core to speak of, so I am hoping this will help me.
    I would like to start at 10 mins for the month.
    I think I will split it into small sections of 10 seconds and build it up from there if I can. I may not reach my monthly goal, but I would like to try.
    I won't be able to post daily, but will keep track and update weekly if that is OK.
    Any advice is gratefully received.
    Thank you.
    Keepsmilin37
  • homeschoolmom77
    Options
    @Spliner1969
    I would like to join please, I am new to this and have never done the plank before. I think I may have to begin with bent arms as I am very overweight, I have no upper arm strength, a weak back and no core to speak of, so I am hoping this will help me.
    I would like to start at 10 mins for the month.
    I think I will split it into small sections of 10 seconds and build it up from there if I can. I may not reach my monthly goal, but I would like to try.
    I won't be able to post daily, but will keep track and update weekly if that is OK.
    Any advice is gratefully received.
    Thank you.
    Keepsmilin37

I think I can speak for the group when I say welcome. The more the better. When I started I had a goal of 30 minutes and really struggled to meet it. I have been with it 4 months now and I am having a much better time of it. (my second month in was a complete failure for me, but I have stuck with it and it is now paying off). I have back issues off and on, which are much better now with a stronger core. I would advise taking it very slow, and listening to your body. For me, it has really helped my back to have my core strengthened. That is not the case for everyone. But I think if you just start slow and stay positive with it you could see a difference too. Welcome to the group, post as often as you want, we will love to see your progress. Good luck!!
  • scyran
    scyran Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been doing planks on my elbows - forearms? Bent arm? I have tried straight arms (the 'top' of the push-up) but find that hurts my wrists too much right now. It seems the bent arms or elbows position is more comfortable to me BUT - I have read that the elbow/forearm position is more challenging... so now I'm confused. What is the difference between being on your elbows/forearms vs on straight arms? Is one more challenging to your core, or a better strengthening position? So many variables! Thanks for any input...