Under 1200 calories

Options
Ok, last time I tried this(MFP), I ate my small meals and at the end of the day, quite frequently, I'd be under a certain amount of calories. (Maybe under 1200 or 1100- I don't remember) MFP wouldn't let me end the day unless I ate more. I feel like if I wanted to lose weight, staying under the calorie goal is good, right? I was legitimately FULL and didn't want to eat more. I have about 30-40 pounds to lose. My daily calorie goal is 1200. What is The problem if I want less? Thanks for any help.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 cals long term is likely to find you deficient in nutrients (macro and micro) to maintain body function.

Your goal is the amount you're supposed to aim for, before exercise. 1200 is the lowest you'll be recommended, and for most people this is probably low. Losing weight fast may seem like a grand idea, but there are lots of negatives that come with it.

You obviously ate more to be overweight. There is absolutely no reason why you can't eat more now - choose more calorie dense foods.
  • JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The logic of not going below 1200 ccal is as follows: it becomes extremely difficult to consume the recommended amounts of macros (carbs, fat and protein) the more below 1200 ccal you go. Some also theorize that going under 1200 ccal activates a starvation kind of response, where the body will try to cling to every bit of fat it has.

These taken together give you a harder and unhealthier time in losing weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    You don't have to end the day on the food page. It doesn't do anything except post it to your feed (if you have that feature enabled) - the tool works whether or not you "Complete This Entry," at the bottom.

That said, I agree it's really difficult to get proper nutrition at 1200 or less, and generally leads to other problems such as binges and fatigue, irritability, depression, hair loss, brittle nails, etc. 1200 is meant to be for very obese people or tiny older people. If you are obese, your body will use your body fat to make up for the lack of calories.

With 30-40 pounds to lose, you should set your goal at "Lose 1 pound per week," and eat that amount PLUS additional on days you exercise. You really don't want the problems that come from under eating.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, the point of your calorie goal is to meet it, not go under it. Constantly going under it can lead to malnutrition and many other health issues. You goal on mfp is not maintenance. When you filled out your mfp profile, did you not select how many pounds per week you wanted to lose? Your deficit is already built in.
    The logic of not going below 1200 ccal is as follows: it becomes extremely difficult to consume the recommended amounts of macros (carbs, fat and protein) the more below 1200 ccal you go. Some also theorize that going under 1200 ccal activates a starvation kind of response, where the body will try to cling to every bit of fat it has.

These taken together give you a harder and unhealthier time in losing weight.

Good thing this (the bolder) isn't true! Going under calories recommended is not a wise decision.
  • robinhager3998
    robinhager3998 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I did this one time when I was "dieting" on my own. I lost weight, but it came back with a vengeance! It is true that your body will survive by holding on to every calorie if it thinks you are starving. Stay at a healthy level of loss. One pound per week is optimum.