Core strenthing trouble

Options
So after I had my son (2), I was on bed rest, then had surgery 2 months later, and more rest. After that, I tried ab exercises & core strengthening exercises (yoga, etc). 1 year later, I even tried getting a personal trainer. I used him for about 2 months, and I was still having problems.
When I try to do these exercises, I only feel it in my back. No matter how hard I try, I never feel it in my abs. I am so frustrated with this.
I've tried crunches, planks, yoga ball, weighted balls, etc. if anyone has any tips, PLEASE let me know.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you been evaluated to see if you have diastasis recti?
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you do have diastasis recti, crunches, sit ups and planks are probably doing more harm than good. Lay on your back with your knees bent, place your fingers cross ways against your belly button and slightly lift your head (very slightly), you should feel your abs contract, do the same thing a few finger widths above and below your belly button, if you can fit more than one finger into that gap you may need to look into modifying your strength routines in order to close that gap.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I had a problem strengthening my core after I had hernia surgery. I got a double hernia over doing it at the gym and when they went in to repair it they found two others that had almost ruptured through. It has taken me a couple years to finally get my core strength back. Have you ever tried working out with rings or doing resistance with holds. Time under tension is what really gets your strength to increase. I purchased a set of Olympic rings and hung them in my shop and that is the only equipment you will need. Here is a list of exercises that I use just really focus on keeping your core tight through the entire motion. Sounds kind of weird but as I am doing these workouts I try to visualize my core and really keeping it tight through the entire range of motion.

-Hanging Leg Raises
    -Reverse Grip Pull Ups
    -One Arm Ring Row
    -Ring Push ups
    -Ring Mountain Climbers
    -Russian Twist
    -Iron Cross Hold

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Here is a great way to work the core, get back ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E
  • ajirvin0583
    ajirvin0583 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have diastasis recti. I was worried this may be the problem at first, but it's not. The rings sound awesome, unfortunately I have nowhere to install them as of now. I will def try the get back ups!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What was the surgery?
  • ajirvin0583
    ajirvin0583 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder removed. Nothing serious, just took me a bit longer to heal than normal. Idk if it was bc I just had a baby or not.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing technique issue. Abs can be tough to work if you allow other muscles (commonly lower back or hip flexors) to take over.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Have you tried simply standing upright and engaging/tightening your abdominal muscles? Not "sucking your gut in". Engaging the muscles.

Try standing relaxed. Take a normal breath. In a normal voice say, "Hello world. How are you doing today?"

Now, engage/tighten your abs. Can you still take a fairly normal breath. Again say, "Hello world. How are you doing today?" Does it sound relatively normal and un-strained?

If you can't breath or speak regularly you may not be engaging those muscles, but "sucking in your gut". Practice this until you can. Practice while you're walking when you notice you aren't engaging. Practice when you're cooking. Practice while you're on the computer.

Then try some of the exercises slowly, maybe 3 reps, with focus on form.

This was something given to me by a martial arts instructor. It helped me out. Hope it gives you another tool in your toolbox.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Here is a great way to work the core, get back ups:

i put this on twice-speed and watched it without sound because i'm so over the long digressive dissertations about everything in most youtube content by now.

forget the entertainment value of doing it that way. i'm completely inspired as well.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just because you dont feel it in your abs, doesn't mean they aren't getting a workout.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Hi, I tend to have back pain as well when doing core training.

To avoid pain, I do tplanks with back bented (like this ^) , it looks stupid but it works the muscles and protects the back.

This bend is great for push ups, too