Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Tracy Anderson says a lot of garbage and her workouts have women lifting less than their purse weighs. Seriously, a max of 3 pounds.
    Do you really think it's a good idea to be doing very fast aerobic style moves with heavy weights because I don't. You'd bash yourself in the head or tear something. Context...that's what's always left out of that quote from her. Obviously in any one of her workouts you can see her recommending more than 3 lbs...she has you use your body weight in planks, pushups and lots of other moves.

I just assumed from the OP's post asking how to make her legs a little smaller that she might be interested in a workout that can make her legs a little smaller so that's the post I answered.
    Workouts DON'T make your legs smaller though. Regardless if it's body weight or not. The way you "atrophy" muscle is to NOT use it at all. Again, she looks the way she looks because of how little muscle she actually has (hence the 3lbs weights) and how little she eats. Her diet plan advocates about 700 calories a day. And less than 1.7 ounces of protein a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Tracy Anderson says a lot of garbage and her workouts have women lifting less than their purse weighs. Seriously, a max of 3 pounds.
    Do you really think it's a good idea to be doing very fast aerobic style moves with heavy weights because I don't. You'd bash yourself in the head or tear something. Context...that's what's always left out of that quote from her. Obviously in any one of her workouts you can see her recommending more than 3 lbs...she has you use your body weight in planks, pushups and lots of other moves.

I just assumed from the OP's post asking how to make her legs a little smaller that she might be interested in a workout that can make her legs a little smaller so that's the post I answered.

Except they won't make her legs smaller. Doing aerobics with any weights is dangerous and absurd. Tracy sells the idea that any type of lifting other than her program will make women bulky. Unless a woman has an absurdly high amount of testosterone with a calorie surplus, great genetics, and spends many years without looking in a mirror there's simply no way a woman is going to get bulky. Tracy makes money off of fear and serious misguidance.
    +1. She even says that running will "bulk" up the legs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.
    It sounds like the key advice is to embrace my body type, try to trim down caloric intake a little more to slim, and just keep working out and embrace the muscle that comes with it. :)

Thanks again for all the encouraging comments too.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Tracy Anderson has a lot of workouts she says are designed to give you more of a lean dancer's look rather than a lean weight lifter's look. It's too soon for me to tell if it's working for my legs, but it has worked rather dramatically for my arms in just a couple months.
    Tracy Anderson is a wack. She doesn't even have certification from any recognized organization of exercise. She and "Gwyneth" are lean for on main reason....................they eat like birds and have MINIMAL lean muscle.
    And if you know anything about dancer's, most of them are lean because they too eat very little with many bordering on eating disorders to meet a look that's desired by the industry.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sorry to quote you ninerbuff, not negating what you've said, but I had to add my 2 cents regarding dancers bodies. I don't know anything about this Tracy person, but I will say that dancers don't only look long and lean because of their diet but also because of their body type. They typically have longer limbs. Someone with shorter limbs will have a much harder time looking as lean as a dancer. You can't change your body in that way.

OP, I think your legs look great. As so many have said before me, embrace them. It took me until my mid 40's to embrace my inner thighs. I hated them my entire life and thought they were fat. For some reason, all it took was someone complimenting them and I've been ok with them ever since. Weird how our perceptions of ourselves change with age.

Incorrect. My wife is an instructor at a Dance studio. I'm not tall at all and many of the dancers are a good 2 inches shorter than me. So their limbs aren't that long. In fact many ballet companies have female dancers at an average height of 5'5" or 167cm. It's NOT the limb length, it's the proportion to the body. Longer neck, shorter torso and small hips. Having less muscle give the "illusion" of having a leaner longer body.

http://dancemagazine.com.au/2011/07/the-ideal-ballet-body/
    The height requirements of dancers are really designated by the ballet companies hiring. Most ballet company’s average height for a female is approximately 167cm. However, in Europe some companies require females to be no taller than the traditional 165cm, while others have a minimum height of 173cm. One company I know has their lead female principal dancer at a height of 184 cm!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    So all that said, my upper arm is half an inch smaller than it was 2 weeks ago and my thigh is an inch smaller though I've gained a pound. And my arms bulk up huge when I'm lifting even though I'm female. Lots of people hate TA and her exercises, so might I suggest something similar like Barre workouts for smaller legs. I don't think there's quite so much hate for that, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe heavy lifting is the only politically correct recommendation on here for all people, all body types and all desired results.

And no, ninerbuff, her diet plan, which I did not and never will recommend, is not what you say. That's a lie from a Daily Mail article from some idiot woman who wasn't following her diet plan. And TA and GP don't follow any type of similar eating plan from what they've said.

Also, from the look of the OP, she might want to compare herself more to the results TA gets for J-Lo rather than Gwyneth Paltrow as they seem to have more similar body types with more curves.
  • Amys712
    edited June 2017
    Options
    So all that said, my upper arm is half an inch smaller than it was 2 weeks ago and my thigh is an inch smaller though I've gained a pound. And my arms bulk up huge when I'm lifting even though I'm female. Lots of people hate TA and her exercises, so might I suggest something similar like Barre workouts for smaller legs. I don't think there's quite so much hate for that, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe heavy lifting is the only politically correct recommendation on here for all people, all body types and all desired results.

And no, ninerbuff, her diet plan, which I did not and never will recommend, is not what you say. That's a lie from a Daily Mail article from some idiot woman who wasn't following her diet plan. And TA and GP don't follow any type of similar eating plan from what they've said.

Also, from the look of the OP, she might want to compare herself more to the results TA gets for J-Lo rather than Gwyneth Paltrow as they seem to have more similar body types with more curves.

The barre class suggestion is a neat one! I think that could be fun!

And, yeah, J-Lo, Shakira, and I have a secret club. It's on the DL, but it's a pretty big deal. Hahahaha.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Your legs are great!
    STAPH the negative talk! (Please)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have large legs too. The slimmer I am overall, the better they look, but they're still big. I work on losing fat as well as physique when I'm in maintenance.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Them curves tho!
    I'm going to repeat what most have already said: Don't hate those beautiful asskickers. They're strong and powerful, and I'm guessing most of that is muscle. Unfortunately genetics can play a part in body shape, but they're lovely as they are. Love 'em up good! You're already on the right track.

Asskickers, lol that reminded me of Darryl in TWD. I echoed everyone's comments, your legs look great
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Tracy Anderson has a lot of workouts she says are designed to give you more of a lean dancer's look rather than a lean weight lifter's look. It's too soon for me to tell if it's working for my legs, but it has worked rather dramatically for my arms in just a couple months.
    Tracy Anderson is a wack. She doesn't even have certification from any recognized organization of exercise. She and "Gwyneth" are lean for on main reason....................they eat like birds and have MINIMAL lean muscle.
    And if you know anything about dancer's, most of them are lean because they too eat very little with many bordering on eating disorders to meet a look that's desired by the industry.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sorry to quote you ninerbuff, not negating what you've said, but I had to add my 2 cents regarding dancers bodies. I don't know anything about this Tracy person, but I will say that dancers don't only look long and lean because of their diet but also because of their body type. They typically have longer limbs. Someone with shorter limbs will have a much harder time looking as lean as a dancer. You can't change your body in that way.

OP, I think your legs look great. As so many have said before me, embrace them. It took me until my mid 40's to embrace my inner thighs. I hated them my entire life and thought they were fat. For some reason, all it took was someone complimenting them and I've been ok with them ever since. Weird how our perceptions of ourselves change with age.

Incorrect. My wife is an instructor at a Dance studio. I'm not tall at all and many of the dancers are a good 2 inches shorter than me. So their limbs aren't that long. In fact many ballet companies have female dancers at an average height of 5'5" or 167cm. It's NOT the limb length, it's the proportion to the body. Longer neck, shorter torso and small hips. Having less muscle give the "illusion" of having a leaner longer body.

The height requirements of dancers are really designated by the ballet companies hiring. Most ballet company’s average height for a female is approximately 167cm. However, in Europe some companies require females to be no taller than the traditional 165cm, while others have a minimum height of 173cm. One company I know has their lead female principal dancer at a height of 184 cm!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yup, I took jazz and ballet growing up. I loved dance and was always one of the best in my class but one of the first things I learned from my ballet teacher was that no matter how good I was I would never be a professional ballet dancer because my height and body structure took me out of the running. No professional bootylicious ballet dancers with boobs for days. I was absolutely crushed. When I went to Winnipeg and saw one of the professional dance company productions I was lucky enough to get to meet a few of the dancers after the performance. The girls came up to my shoulders and while they were crazy strong they were just so tiny! I'm 5'7" but these women must have been about 5'2-5'4.
  • ninerbuff
    edited June 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I never said anything about height and I said I wasn't negating what you said. I said they look long and lean because of their body type, which you also said in your response.
    Your quote was " They typically have longer limbs. Someone with shorter limbs will have a much harder time looking as lean as a dancer. You can't change your body in that way.".
    A shorter person will have shorter limbs than someone who's taller even if the body type is the same. If a person looks longer and leaner, it's due to lower body fat and the percentage of skeletal muscle they have on their frame regardless of limb length.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You honestly look amazing. I know some women who would crawl over broken glass for your legs. Tracy Anderson is terrible.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Your body will decide where it will slim - my body prefer to store fat on the legs too. All I can do is tone them as much as I can. Similar to what you are doing plus cycling. My position is that I can't fight my genes, but I can at least try to make them as shapely as possible.
  • Amys712
    Options
    Your body will decide where it will slim - my body prefer to store fat on the legs too. All I can do is tone them as much as I can. Similar to what you are doing plus cycling. My position is that I can't fight my genes, but I can at least try to make them as shapely as possible.

Cycling is a good suggestion too! Yeah, I agree. My shape will never change and I'm OK with that. I guess I just want them to look as good as possible. Hopefully getting to my goal weight will help. I'm OK with the curves. Just wish my legs weren't as close of friends as they are. Ha ha.

It sounds like there are quite a few other women on here to have a similar shape though. Even that is comforting. It's just not the typical white girl body type and I have to be careful not to compare.
  • Amys712
    Options
    KiwiLifter wrote: »
    You honestly look amazing. I know some women who would crawl over broken glass for your legs. Tracy Anderson is terrible.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    6 years of skating roller derby have got me some chunky thighs and decent calves. If I ever wonder what slimmer thighs would look like I think of all the strength and ability I'd be lacking instead. Plus everyone's body is going to look like what it looks like within a certain limit, who's to say certain shapes are even achievable?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Amys712 wrote: »
    . Even that is comforting. It's just not the typical white girl body type and I have to be careful not to compare.

Well my grandmother hails from the Dutch/German Border in the north. She told me my great grand mother had exactly the same shape and always called it the Prussian body type. (part of my ancestry is from there) (Prussia) And I have to admit I have always been more comfortable with German sizing than slender, tall Dutch sizing