Apples make me hungry

Options
I love apples, I used to eat an apple a day, sometimes more. But I started noticing after I'd eat the apple, my stomach started growling and I was really hungry. It's only after I eat an apple. Why?

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I thought I was the only one. Porridge/oatmeal does the same for me...an hour after eating the stuff I'm STARVING!

No idea why tho, so, anyone got any theories?
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm not sure why it happens, but I've noticed it too... I can eat them and just never feel full... I'll even be REALLY hungry after I've eaten one. Weird.
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it's not just me!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    water does the same thing to me. dont know what it is, but I am fine until I drink water and all of a sudden I am REALLY hungry and my stomach is growling like crazy.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Me three!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    the same thing happens to me so now the only way i eat apples is if i'm eating it with some kind of protein (apple + peanut butter, apple and a handful of nuts, etc.)

it's because apples are almost completely made up of simple carbs so your body will digest it very quickly.
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but maybe it's just your stomach reacting to the fiber? is it that you actually feel hungry or is it just that your stomach starts making noises?

could be the sugar also? Not sure. Sorry. guess it was kinda pointless to post that I dont really know! haha
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    same here! in fact I can't eat an apple on an empty stomach it gives me cramps! now and then I have a few slices with some cheese.
  • indoovibly
    indoovibly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yay! Me too - I thought it was me going loopy.
  • BecomingMyself
    Options
    Apples do that to me as well. I thought I was imagining it. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Like others have said, I eat something with it now: nuts, peanut butter, low-fat cheese, or something
  • indoovibly
    indoovibly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hmm, it makes me actually hungry. I don't get it from other high-fibre foods, like All-Bran.
  • yogamom16
    yogamom16 Posts: 114
    Options
    Same thing happens to me when I eat oatmeal. I have no idea why it happens.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's because of the sugar in apples: it causes an insulin spike to deal with the increase in blood sugar, which causes your glucose to drop suddenly, which causes the feeling of hunger.
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    The problem with apples is that they are purely carbs and nothing else, and carbs will always leave you with that "empty" feeling. What you need to do, and what I do, is eat the apple with a couple of almonds or a piece of low calorie string cheese. That way you are getting a good mix of carbs, fats, and proteins as part of a healthy snack that will leave you feeling full for quite some time. Hope this helps!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    the same thing happens to me so now the only way i eat apples is if i'm eating it with some kind of protein (apple + peanut butter, apple and a handful of nuts, etc.)

it's because apples are almost completely made up of simple carbs so your body will digest it very quickly.

Although I agree with eating fruit with some kind of protein.... I disagree that apples are simple carbs. Apples are a complex carb, and one of the lowest fruits on the glycemic index.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    is it that you actually feel hungry or is it just that your stomach starts making noises?

Both, with apples and oatmeal
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but maybe it's just your stomach reacting to the fiber? is it that you actually feel hungry or is it just that your stomach starts making noises?

could be the sugar also? Not sure. Sorry. guess it was kinda pointless to post that I dont really know! haha

No I actually get really hungry and have to eat something else with them
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options

Although I agree with eating fruit with some kind of protein.... I disagree that apples are simple carbs. Apples are a complex carb, and one of the lowest fruits on the glycemic index.

Fruits are simple carbs. The sugar present in fruit is fructose
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Fruits are simple carbs. The sugar present in fruit is fructose
    [/quot]

That sugar is also paired with fiber which allows them to be released into the bloodstream slower, and you do not have the spike and drop of insulin levels.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    It's because of the sugar in apples: it causes an insulin spike to deal with the increase in blood sugar, which causes your glucose to drop suddenly, which causes the feeling of hunger.
    This.