A question for the masses.

Options
So I have A LOT of weight to lose and I know that I know I'm going to have skin all over the place when I am successful. What are things I can do now if anything that will limit all this skin I will have. I plan to start weight lifting...will that help or is it inevitable?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's mainly down to genetics and age.

Lifting will help it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yup, genetics, age and the amount of time you've been obese all factor into it. Staying well hydrated and using a good body moisturizer may help somewhat, though. :)
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Start a saving account now for skin surgery or if not needed, yay, you will have some extra money!

Agreed.

Genetics is the primary deciding factor of loose skin and you won't know how significant it will be until you've reached your goal and been there a while. Things that might help (even if it's a bit, and can't hurt the process) include being well hydrated, moisturizer, ensuring you get adequate micronutrients preferably via food, lifting weights, and losing the weight over a longer period of time.

I've lost 53 pounds pretty rapidly (six months) and I've got a fair amount of loose skin but not enough to be detrimental. I probably will need to drop another 45-55 pounds of fat to be satisfied with my weight and appearance but I imagine that it will continue to be lot of loose skin even then.

I'm not convinced regarding skin removal surgery for myself. I have experienced very poor recovery from surgical incisions and I'm wary of going through it again for something that (for me) is probably going to be straight up vanity aka not enough loose skin to cause any health problems.
  • millcreekr
    millcreekr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have toned up by my high intensity training with a personal trainer (which includes weight lifting and more) and weight loss. I surprised myself actually that my HIT actually toned my body when I thought I never would. I still have places it's not perfect, but for my age, I am extremely happy. I say, yes, weight training - a personal trainer helps too with keeping you on track. Good luck! (But just in case, take the advice of some, start putting money away in case you will need surgery.)
  • Nobledictator78
    Nobledictator78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of this advice....I started weight lifting today.... worst case scenario I get stronger....I may start putting some money aside like your saying...I have 0 doubts this will be a issue. Thank you again
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight and maintain a year before you go under a knife. It's cheaper in Mexico.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight and maintain a year before you go under a knife. It's cheaper in Mexico.
    Risky. I live close to the border, every once in awhile you hear someone with an awful tale of woe. IMO, it's not worth it.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Risky. I live close to the border, every once in awhile you hear someone with an awful tale of woe. IMO, it's not worth it.

When someone is cutting on you, its not the time to find the lowest bidder!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Yeah, there is no way I'd go the cheap, "easy" and possibly unethical route when it comes to surgery.
    Some people go for bargain basement prices like they're shopping from a walmart catalogue...

I've seen the horror stories of people coming out looking worse then they did before!

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 90lbs down and would like to lose another 80-90lbs. Genetics stink for me. I have lose, crepe-like skin everywhere. Guess it's part of my battle scar with weight. Hopefully I'll be able to afford the surgeries. I will say is even the saggy skin can't win over the way I feel about myself now. I walk with my head held high and ready to conquer.

As for weight training, I have really started to like it plus I feel it got me out of my plateau. I've read recently it helps with insulin as well, maybe someone else can verify that. Plus, I read you burn a lot more calories per day with some muscle, again, needs verification.

I'm loving being a little strong and the stamina from the cardio machines. Blood pressure, way way way down in 5 months. Medication I've been taking 15 years, gone! Good luck!
  • Nobledictator78
    Nobledictator78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 that is really cool you got to drop the meds you are taking..... Im so glad to hear your success