IIFYM Diet

Options
13»

Replies

• burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to interpret tone online...

... heck sometimes it's hard in person lol
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to interpret tone online...

... heck sometimes it's hard in person lol

Lol I hear that!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    More of a lifestyle than a diet. Just eat what you want in your calorie range - honestly people look too much into it.

That's just calorie counting, not IIFYM. With IIFYM you can't just eat whatever you want, it has to y'know .. fit .. your .. uhhh .. macros.

IIFYM also involves not eating something if it doesn't fit.

But you are eating what you want, because that's what "your macros" means.
  • mattbirchfield
    mattbirchfield Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    More of a lifestyle than a diet. Just eat what you want in your calorie range - honestly people look too much into it.

That's just calorie counting, not IIFYM. With IIFYM you can't just eat whatever you want, it has to y'know .. fit .. your .. uhhh .. macros.

IIFYM also involves not eating something if it doesn't fit.

But you are eating what you want, because that's what "your macros" means.

To an extent. There's been plenty of occasions when i I can't just eat what I want, because it doesn't fit my macros.
  • lisaleelou
    lisaleelou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    do you get told what to eat with this plan according to your macros because that's where I struggle?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It did not work for me because I was getting distracted by individual macros and spiraled into obsessively micromanaging. I do eat a flexible diet, and I do keep a general eye on my protein, but I don't really follow the IIFYM approach. It works great for some, though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lisaleelou wrote: »
    do you get told what to eat with this plan according to your macros because that's where I struggle?
    It's not a plan, you decide what to eat. You also decide what macros are yours, of course.

I never let anyone tell me what to eat anymore. That was why I struggled.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I wasn't speaking about you personally at all.

... just pointing out the scientifically substantiated fact that type of macro does influence body compisition.

For example if you eat ten grams of protein a day ... it will be harder to build muscle as synthesis is less efficient... and protein breakdown (and bcaa's) are anabolic in their digestion.

When you quote my response, then you are addressing what I posted. So I responded back. There was no "aggressive" intent, just defending my opinion, which I'm entitled to. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

• thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It did not work for me because I was getting distracted by individual macros and spiraled into obsessively micromanaging. I do eat a flexible diet, and I do keep a general eye on my protein, but I don't really follow the IIFYM approach. It works great for some, though.

Yes! this is my thoughts as well.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't even stress if I'm over 100g protein in a day, even though my macros are set to 130P. I dont' "get within 5g" necessarily but there are days where I eat more carbs than protein and there are days I'm way over on protein etc. I agree the calories matter most (within reason, I'm not going to recklessly consume 50g P on a cut while lifting) but in general, even some IIYMers take themselves way too seriously. You'll get to know what you can get away with depending on your goals.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Dont you mean... macromanaging???

I kid.