Question about serving size

Options
I have a can of chickpeas that says the serving size is half a cup (130g) which comes out to about 4.5 ounces a serving. The problem is, I drained all the liquid and rinsed them. The entire can of beans after weight 5.6 ounces. I don't really have an idea on how to calculate how much of a serving size I had because the can only shows the values for the entire can. Does anyone know?

Replies

• bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I should also note, it says there are 3.5 servings in the can.
  • JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just wing it, dont get that critical
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Weigh the contents and divide by 3.5. That is one serving.
  • bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I did do that, but the the calories, carbs, sodium, all of that would be different since it is starchy water.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated with canned beans too, but I eat them all the time. I have just taken to using the drop down for "1 container" rather than "1 serving" or 1/2 cup of beans and then breaking the container down to 1/3 or 1/4 portions after draining and rinsing. For most cans, it's about 240 grams after draining so it's a matter of deciding if I want 60g or 80g portions. It's probably not accurate either, but it's plenty good enough.

FYI same thing with canned tuna. I guess I just drain way more thoroughly than the manufacturer expects?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    5.6 oz of rinsed, drained chickpeas are about 216 calories according to the USDA.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4984?manu=&fgcd=Legumes and Legume Products&ds=Standard Reference

This exists as an MFP entry (use this text to search: Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram), mature seeds, canned, drained, rinsed in tap water)
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

I did do that, but the the calories, carbs, sodium, all of that would be different since it is starchy water.

Honestly, if you are worried about the calories in the "starchy water" that you rinse away, you are worrying too much. I'm sure it's something but it won't add up to anything worth thinking twice over. There is greater caloric uncertainty in the questions of the degree to which we actually absorb calories from fiber (answer: less than 100%, more than 0%) and that doesn't stop anyone from making a reasonable guess and moving on.