Running shoe question

Options
So I bought a pair of pretty expensive running shoes about 2 months ago, using them only for running (about 4 times per week, C25K 30 minute workout, then additional 30 minutes of walking to finish out the hour). And I've already worn out the heel in the left shoe! And now there's a blister on my heel. What should I do? It feels kind of weird bringing them back to the store since it's been so long, and the receipt is gone. And the rest of the shoe is still in decent condition. Is there something I can do to cover up the spot?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What brand and model are they?

Assuming you've used them from the start of C25K then you're still only talking about less than 200 miles, so it seems unusual, at least for quality brands.
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was fitted for an expensive pair of Newtons and the tread detached across the left toe area in less than 25 miles. The retailer replaced them. Happened again in about 25 miles. Neither company or retailer had ever seen or heard of that particular issue (or so they said). I chalked it up to my weird gait (I do suffer from osteoarthritis on only one side of my body) and went back to bargain hunting for last years models of less expensive shoes I've had success with. Good luck.
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sorry and to answer your question, if the heel support has been compromised and you are already suffering blisters from the issue I don't think I would even attempt to cover it up.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you bought them from a running shoe store, they will have kept the records. and yes... 200 miles is a little early
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Definitely take them back, if only for advice!
    Also, are you lacing them properly, to "lock" your foot in place? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIK1zgozm6w
    It can make a lot of difference to how your foot moves (or doesn't) inside the shoe.
  • fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! The shoes are Saucony Guide 10. And yes, it's DEFINITELY been under 200 miles. I have odd feet too...saw a podiatrist for blisters in the arches, per his recommendation, got SuperFeet, which gave me blisters in a different spot in the arches, then he shaved them down a bit, so no more blisters there, but then the heel blister popped up today. Who know running would be so hard?!
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ouch... A motion control shoe with motion control footbeds. That doesn't sound good at all. I suspect that's contributed to the wear pattern.

You could try to blag it with the shop, but you may not have much of a leg to stand on.

Fwiw when I did use Saucony Hurricane I got 600 miles with no visible wear. I could feel that they were worn out, but couldn't see that, except at the toe.
  • fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ouch... A motion control shoe with motion control footbeds. That doesn't sound good at all.

What doesn't sound good? Sorry, I'm not very well versed in the world of running and shoe things...the blisters have kept me distracted.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    fubsyfern wrote: »
    Ouch... A motion control shoe with motion control footbeds. That doesn't sound good at all.

What doesn't sound good? Sorry, I'm not very well versed in the world of running and shoe things...the blisters have kept me distracted.

Shoes are designed to move in a particular way, as soon as you start to interfere with that they don't work as designed. The guide is a design intended to prevent rotation of the foot, and the inserts you mention are also intended to do that. The two in combination are restricting your gait quite a lot. It's likely that the insert is what's causing the excess wear on the heel.

Blisters are generally caused by poorly fitted shoes, or by using socks that don't work sympathetically with the shoe. A replacement footbed should never have been the treatment for blisters.

I generally use a little vaseline if I'm feeling a hotspot, to reduce the friction that leads to the blister.
  • LesleyRoth
    LesleyRoth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was told to buy shoes that are a size up from my normal size. Has anyone else heard this before? When I tried them in the shop it felt like I had flippers on, there was no way I could comfortably run In them. Had anyone else been told this before? I bought trainers which are comfortable and flexible, they feel fine.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I buy all of my running shoes a size larger that my regular foot wear and they work fine. The larger size is used to accomodate the swelling of the feet as we run. A comfortably fit shoe would not be comfortable a couple of miles into a run in my personal case.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited June 2017
    Options
    LesleyRoth wrote: »
    I was told to buy shoes that are a size up from my normal size. Has anyone else heard this before? When I tried them in the shop it felt like I had flippers on, there was no way I could comfortably run In them. Had anyone else been told this before? I bought trainers which are comfortable and flexible, they feel fine.

Very much depends on the shoe. I never buy shoes too big as the right designs accommodate the expansion of the foot over time.

Personally I mainly run in Inov-8 shoes, which are all neutral. They do two fits; standard and precision. Precision fit is better for shoes with minimal heel to toe drop, and limited cushioning. The last thing you want is the foot and shoe moving in different ways, particularly offroad in technical terrain.

I'll comfortably do a marathon in a MudClaw 300, which fits me very snugly.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a gait that is causing the quick wear on that heel. I'd be surprised if the shoe store cut you a break.

As for the buy a size bigger, I have to buy at least a half size up and need lots of toe box space, a tight fitting shoe doesn't suit me at all.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    LesleyRoth wrote: »

ll my running shoes are a size larger than my regular shoes. I make sure the heels fit well and that there's lots of room in the toe box. I find it makes a difference after a few Kilometers and keeps the run comfortable for my feet.
    So far, I haven't found that the extra size feels extra large.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    fubsyfern wrote: »
    I have odd feet too...saw a podiatrist for blisters in the arches, per his recommendation, got SuperFeet, which gave me blisters in a different spot in the arches, then he shaved them down a bit, so no more blisters there, but then the heel blister popped up today. Who know running would be so hard?!

Did you take the inserts with you to the Running Store when you bought the shoes? That may help them find a good shoe for your foot.
    Do you feel your toes hitting the front of your shoe when running? If so, perhaps you need a slightly larger shoe so that your toe and heel don't rub against the shoe and cause trouble, like blisters. Inserts can cause the need to increase your shoe size. Perhaps a larger shoe would help?
    Have you tried running socks? They will wick the moisture from your foot, which may help with blisters.