Anybody in their 40s and trying to get back in shape??

Options
It was so much easier when I was younger!!! Is it possible to still lose weight (I'm aiming for 30 lbs) at 48?? Feeling a little discouraged here.

Replies

• JenChance76
    JenChance76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and trying to get fit. I tend to gain the same 15 lbs over and over again, but it used to come off a lot more quickly. Now it has taken months to drop 5 lbs! I am still working on it though! I do like the circuit training workouts that burn a lot of calories. We can do it Pamela!

That sounds like me. I'm 40 (41 soon in August) and have been gaining a losing the same weight for years. However, this time its more gain and less loss. Heaviest I've been since being pregnant 17 years ago!!
  • bsobolik11
    bsobolik11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes! Same here. I'm 42 and struggling with those last 10 lbs. Feel free to add me
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    I'm with her^ the last 10 lbs won't go away
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    41 here... I have found that your diet needs to be spot on. I weigh everything out.
  • bones40k
    bones40k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. It's not an easy thing to do. I've been working at it for awhile now. Biggest piece of advice I can is use the tracker on My Fitness Pal to track what you eat. When I'm tracking, I think about what I'm eating, and it helps me eat healthier.
  • long_for_me
    long_for_me Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am 41! Add me! Yes, it is so much harder...
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    It's the exact same at any age. Don't get into that forty-something mindset. It isn't true. It doesn't exist. And you aren't a victim of time. Get your head in the game. Eat, exercise, live actively. It's not just about weight and has very little, to almost nothing, to do with age.

I was forty-something. I lost. Was it easy? No. Was it harder than when I was twenty? No. It's hard at all ages.

What is hard is your mental state. It's harder to stop your habits and rituals that you have hard-baked into your brain. Release them. Find new ones that are better for you.

Absolutely this. Make excuses and you start to believe them.
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Nobody is arguing here that it is not possible. But from our experiences, the weight comes off more slowly. Maybe because we are less active? Maybe other reasons? We are here working on it. That's the important thing!
  • newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yes! 45 and weight has been climbing at a few lbs per year since having children - I occasionally have a burst of energy and lose a few lbs then put them back on plus a couple more. The snacking habits are deeply ingrained and hard to break particularly under stress/busyness. Am hoping that the easyness of tracking here will be a motivator.
  • bigmuneymfp
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Started at 45. Lost 73 lbs. Had two invasive surgeries, open heart and a double hernia repair. Turned fifty recently. A few days ago I pulled a 315lb deadlift.

It's not only possible, it's vital to remaining as functional as you can in your older years.

Well said
  • bigmuneymfp
    Options
    At 44 I can't run fast and I'm not that strong but I still run and lift 4 to 5 days a week

I will not be stopped
  • Theresa6712
    Theresa6712 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add me! Soon to be 50 and would love to get back to my "normal" weight - I stopped smoking and gained 25lbs in s blink of an eye!!
  • lippygidg
    lippygidg Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and am in the same boat. Add me if you would like :)
  • alejan1975
    alejan1975 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    41. Need to get back under 200 lbs.... its been a few years since i was under
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I will be 46 in just 14days..... Over last 12months ive lost 2stone 6lb. From walking & logging on here... We now have an allotment & growing our own veg. & getting married next yr too..
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am 48, I started here at age 45. I am nearly at my goal weight which is the lowest since being an adult. I think I weight about the same as when I was 15 or 16 but I look a lot better. Since I started this journey I have moved from just lightly active at times to really very active. From out of shape to in great shape.
    I am really in the best shape of my life. I lift weights, I cycle, I hike, I run and loving every second of being so fit and seeing my clothesline full of sports outfits (mine and my husbands')