Tight skin

Options
I've got 42lbs left to lose and I'm just wondering if I should be doing anything now to keep my skin Tight, especially my stomach, or do I wait until iv lost the weight? I don't want to lose all the weight and then be left with lots of hanging down skin on my stomach. Iv had 2 children, my youngest is 15months and iv had a c section. I'm 5ft 5 and weigh 12stone 3 and want to get down to 9stone 5 or 7.
Thanx
Anna

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    You CANNOT tighten your skin unless you go with surgery. Also there are no topicals, creams, wraps, corsets, brushing, etc. that provide permanent results.
    Your skin can retract, but that will be based on age, genetics and how much you have to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jessicasmum2008
    jessicasmum2008 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanx, I know that it's pointless using creams and wraps.i more meant isnt there any exercises I can do to help it from not going as loose? Theres no way I could afford surgery, hopefully I won't need it anyway but I was just thinking if I can do something to help me not end up with lots of hanging skin it would be good
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Thanx, I know that it's pointless using creams and wraps.i more meant isnt there any exercises I can do to help it from not going as loose? Theres no way I could afford surgery, hopefully I won't need it anyway but I was just thinking if I can do something to help me not end up with lots of hanging skin it would be good

Exercise does not tighten skin, I'm afraid. :(
  • jessicasmum2008
    Options
    Well that's not good lol.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You're relatively young (judging by your avatar) so that'll work in your favour at least. :)
  • jessicasmum2008
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanx
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The only way to be sure not to have loose skin is to not gain weight or to stay big once you've gained. (Or have surgery of course.)
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Whilst there is nothing you can do to tighten loose skin, there are things you can do to minimize it and improve it's appearance.
    Losing weight slowly certainly helps as your skin does retract over time, so by losing slowly your skin has the opportunity to shrink back as you lose.
    Weight training and strength training can also help the appearance, as the muscle underneath can help fill it out and gives it a better appearance.
    I also really believe that eating well, lots of quality protein and drinking plenty of water to hydrate the skin can help with skin elasticity - give your body the building blocks needed to regenerate your skin which is does constantly.
    Also, even though topical creams can't shrink skin, just as a good moisturiser makes your face look better, a good one on the body, especially the ones with a hint of tan to give you a glow can also just make it look a little better.

All these things together will not prevent loose skin, but together they can make it look better than if you did none of them.
    The bottom line is it's luck of the draw really as to whether you will suffer loose skin or not.

Edited to add: I exfoliate a lot also before putting on a good body moisturiser. I'm really worried about loose skin so I am doing as much as I can to look after my skin and keep it healthy. My logic being, healthy skin given the right nutrients etc. stands a better chance of retracting than if I don't do anything at all.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights. To the extent that such activity prevents muscle loss, it maintains something to occupy space under your skin, i.e., keeping it tight. I'm guessing that you're young enough and willing enough to lift heavy weights in a well-organized program that you'll lose the weight and have tight enough skin, tight enough for your approval.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Losing weight slowly certainly helps as your skin does retract over time, so by losing slowly your skin has the opportunity to shrink back as you lose.

Skin doesn't retract any greater with slow weight loss - it just makes the loose skin less noticeable during the approximately 2 years it can take for skin to snap back. After 2-3 years, the end result is the same with slow vs. fast loss.

OP - The abdominal muscles are thin and aren't capable of growing much in women, so strength training will have an insignificant effect on tightening your abs.
    I'd still do strength training though, but more for fitness, and to keep your mind focused on your assets and not your flaws. Follow a proven program for best results (NROL, Stronglifts, personal trainer, etc). :+1: