Late night hunger.

Options
mllr1328
mllr1328 Posts: 55 Member
Does anyone else get hungry right around bed time and you've reached your daily calories? If so, how do you usually handle it?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I plan my day such that I can have something late in the evening.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've done a few things that were recommended by others.

1. Make sure I'm drinking enough fluid

2. Adjust my macros to more fat and protein.

3.Grab a snack and go over 100-200 calories. Doesn't totally undo my weekly deficit.

4. Adjusted my dairy (which is open) for 6 times a day to take in some calories.
  • mllr1328
    Options
    I've done a few things that were recommended by others.

1. Make sure I'm drinking enough fluid

2. Adjust my macros to more fat and protein.

3.Grab a snack and go over 100-200 calories. Doesn't totally undo my weekly deficit.

4. Adjusted my dairy (which is open) for 6 times a day to take in some calories.

That's great advice thanks! I'm still trying to work out macros (not sure why I'm having a hard time understanding them). I will give these recommendations a shot though!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That's great advice thanks! I'm still trying to work out macros (not sure why I'm having a hard time understanding them). I will give these recommendations a shot though!
    What do you find confusing with macros? Maybe we can clear that up some.

• my_akownt
    my_akownt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or just bored. For me, it is usually the latter and I just distract myself with something like a book or videogames. Just watching TV makes me want to eat so I avoid that.
  • mllr1328
    Options
    What do you find confusing with macros? Maybe we can clear that up some.

Mainly what my percentages should be. I feel like every time I think I've figured it out I read something else that alters them. I'm also having a hard time planning my daily meals around what they should be. I'm always way over on carbs and way under on protein.
  • mllr1328
    Options
    my_akownt wrote: »
    Are you actually hungry or just bored. For me, it is usually the latter and I just distract myself with something like a book or videogames. Just watching TV makes me want to eat so I avoid that.

I think it definitely has a lot to do with boredom, but sometimes it's like an uncomfortable almost agonizing hunger. I think I might need to up my calories? When I started with MFP about two weeks ago I set my activity level at the lowest. Since then I've started HIIT workouts in the morning and yoga at night. I raised it to the next level and it helped a little. I'll see how I feel over this next week.
  • bkeeley47
    bkeeley47 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I keep sugar free Werthers Hard Caramels - 5 are 40 calories, seems to help curb hunger, when I have already eaten all I need -
  • mekaerwin1
    mekaerwin1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wake up in the middle of the night with stomach pangs. I toss and turn until I get something to eat. The sad thing is that I haven't lost anything and I've been doing this for about a year. Exact same weight and clothes size. All I wanted to lose in the first place is about 10 lbs. I'm staying fit though. How's it going for you?
  • VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS plan my food budget for the day by adding my bedtime snack first and working around that. I have to have that to look forward to. Otherwise I get cranky and pout. :D
  • Derf_Smeggle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Mainly what my percentages should be. I feel like every time I think I've figured it out I read something else that alters them. I'm also having a hard time planning my daily meals around what they should be. I'm always way over on carbs and way under on protein.
    The reason it's so murky is because the research and recommendations are all over the place. MFP defaults are somewhere in the middle ground of the commonly cited range recommend for each macro.

Macros don't make you lose weight, CICO at a deficit is how you lose weight. Macros can help you maintain your deficit. (See the difference in those statements?) Specifically, fats and proteins typical help most people with appetite control (for a variety of reasons).

If your having trouble hitting your calorie goal, then you might need to adjust the proteins and fats up and the carbs down to help with appetite control. If your appetite isn't a problem, just stick with MFP's defaults.

If not, start slow and easy. Tweak the carbs down 5% and the fats up 5%. Olive oil, butter, and avocados are some examples of ways to increase your fat intake. If after a week still not good, then tweak the carbs down 5% and up the proteins 5%. Eggs and rotisserie chicken are easy ways for me to get more protein. Maybe they'd work for you.

If you want feel free to peruse my diary for other ideas. Don't count Sunday, June 4th, though. Just biked 66 miles and had an exercise burn over 3400 calories. I was carb loading on the ride.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If you're a night owl, don't restrict food consumption past a certain time. If you eat dinner earlier, plan ahead for a snack between dinner and bedtime. If I find I've run out of calories and I'm legitimately hungry before bed I will sip an herbal tea with stevia in it. It takes a while to finish, so it's very satisfying and it doesn't have caffeine, so I won't be wired.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Eat some sugar free jelly.
  • mllr1328
    Options
    The reason it's so murky is because the research and recommendations are all over the place. MFP defaults are somewhere in the middle ground of the commonly cited range recommend for each macro.

Macros don't make you lose weight, CICO at a deficit is how you lose weight. Macros can help you maintain your deficit. (See the difference in those statements?) Specifically, fats and proteins typical help most people with appetite control (for a variety of reasons).

If your having trouble hitting your calorie goal, then you might need to adjust the proteins and fats up and the carbs down to help with appetite control. If your appetite isn't a problem, just stick with MFP's defaults.

If not, start slow and easy. Tweak the carbs down 5% and the fats up 5%. Olive oil, butter, and avocados are some examples of ways to increase your fat intake. If after a week still not good, then tweak the carbs down 5% and up the proteins 5%. Eggs and rotisserie chicken are easy ways for me to get more protein. Maybe they'd work for you.

If you want feel free to peruse my diary for other ideas. Don't count Sunday, June 4th, though. Just biked 66 miles and had an exercise burn over 3400 calories. I was carb loading on the ride.

That clears things up a lot! A lot of articles fail to explain the appetite control area. I was beginning to worry it was some weight loss golden rule I wasn't catching on to. Thank you so much for the advice! One more question, and it might sound like a dumb one. When I cook with olive oil I should calculate that in? It hadn't really occurred to me until now, since it seems like such a small thing. Oh and biking 66 miles! That sounds like a dream.
  • mllr1328
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    If you're a night owl, don't restrict food consumption past a certain time. If you eat dinner earlier, plan ahead for a snack between dinner and bedtime. If I find I've run out of calories and I'm legitimately hungry before bed I will sip an herbal tea with stevia in it. It takes a while to finish, so it's very satisfying and it doesn't have caffeine, so I won't be wired.

I find myself holding on to "don't eat before bedtime it will make you gain weight". Tea sounds wonderful though! I quit drinking soda when I dove into this journey and am left wondering if I'll ever be able to drink anything else ever again. Do you have any tea recommendations?
  • mllr1328
    Options
    mekaerwin1 wrote: »
    I wake up in the middle of the night with stomach pangs. I toss and turn until I get something to eat. The sad thing is that I haven't lost anything and I've been doing this for about a year. Exact same weight and clothes size. All I wanted to lose in the first place is about 10 lbs. I'm staying fit though. How's it going for you?

Oh man! I couldn't imagine being woken up with hunger. Hopefully some of these suggestions everyone has provided will help you! I wish I could offer advice but I'm not sure I have any idea what I'm doing yet. Staying fit sounds wonderful! Things are moving along for me so far. I have an almost 2 year old and a 3 month old, so I'm just trying to lose the extra baggage they've left me with and just be healthy and happy!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options

That clears things up a lot! A lot of articles fail to explain the appetite control area. I was beginning to worry it was some weight loss golden rule I wasn't catching on to. Thank you so much for the advice! One more question, and it might sound like a dumb one. When I cook with olive oil I should calculate that in? It hadn't really occurred to me until now, since it seems like such a small thing. Oh and biking 66 miles! That sounds like a dream.
    Glad it helps. The general consensus regarding counting the cooking oil used is you should count it. You are likely not getting all of those calories, but you are definitely getting some, especially I believe with vegetables. They absorb, or the oil coats them more readily.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If I am out of calories I just tend to go to bed or eat something reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally low calories like carrots and celery.
  • Chiquita140
    Chiquita140 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I save an amount of calories for my bedtime snack, usually my treat so I can look forward to it all day
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    drink plenty of water and plan to budget in a big salad at the end, should help fill you up before bed.