NSV - Tailoring clothes for myself

Options
PrairieRoseNE
PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
Hi - I've recently lost 55lbs and instead of spending money on new clothes, I brought out my sewing machine and have been tailoring my "larger" size clothes so I can keep wearing them! I work in a farm industry job, so there's no need for dress clothes, just clean & presentable clothes. So I've been taking in the side seams and reducing the size of the sleeves of many of my shirts & blouses. I also took in the outside seam of many of my summer casual capris - now I don't look like I'm wearing jodhpurs - LOL I might not be an ace seamstress - but my clothes fit better and show off the weight I've lost!!!!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Great job! I often wish I could sew something more than a button.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Damn, we're supposed to sew buttons back on? I thought once the buttons fell off that was the sign that you need something new?

Learn something every day! LOL
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on your loss!!!

I have a pair of shorts (formerly too small, and the only pair I owned that I didn't wear for 3 full years) that has no button, gotta get it back on cause they fit now... and a pair of Dockers pants that I adore, also missing the button, and the waist is too big now, but the butt fits great...

How do you do the outside seam of your capris? Do you pull the entire waistline of them out, then re-sew or just add a seam up the side??? I'm curious because I've never taken in a pair of pants aside from shortening the hem...
  • altak9
    altak9 Posts: 20
    Options
    Good for you!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on your loss!!!

I have a pair of shorts (formerly too small, and the only pair I owned that I didn't wear for 3 full years) that has no button, gotta get it back on cause they fit now... and a pair of Dockers pants that I adore, also missing the button, and the waist is too big now, but the butt fits great...

How do you do the outside seam of your capris? Do you pull the entire waistline of them out, then re-sew or just add a seam up the side??? I'm curious because I've never taken in a pair of pants aside from shortening the hem...

I just added a seam up the side - but it depends on the style of capris - the ones I have were easy, because they were a stretchy fabric with a simple drawstring waistband. I started sewing below the waistband and the little bit of pucker isn't noticeable because of the drawstring style - if you know what I mean. I still don't feel comfortable wearing tucked in blouses because of my weight, so my blouse or shirt hides the small waistband pucker!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!