2»

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    sjaplo wrote: »
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    I'm 5'10'' and 160 lb. and MFP gives me 185 calories for a 15-minute breaststroke swim. I know that MFP overestimates calories, though.

Breast stroke is a lower calorie burn per hour than a faster stroke, like front crawl (i.e. "freestyle"). Also, be careful using breast stroke in your triathlon; the kick is strong and you can really bean someone.

Can't swim any other way and the swim portion takes place in a pool.

If you are are doing a triathlon, pool or open water. You should consider learning how to swim freestyle. You're still going to get passed, you still might kick someone.

just to add, a mate of mine was kicked and it broke her foot. Breaststroke in close quarters = not good!

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    nichjones wrote: »
    Have you tried swimming without the HR monitor? I noticed the calorie burn is significantly higher on the Garmin when I don't use the strap.

Did Garmin change the frequency they use for sending HR - because it doesn't work through water, the range is very short, like HRM right in front of strap if it's already connected.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Buk30 wrote: »
    I always thought swimming burned lots of calories. i always see my biggest results on holiday & I assumed that was because of all the swimming, now I'm just confused

It can like if you compare equal HR as a level of effort.

If you could maintain say 150 bpm for a 30 min swim, it would normally be a decent amount better calorie burn than same HR doing a run.

Because HRmax for swimming is usually decently less than running - so that 150 is higher % of HRmax for swimming than running - so bigger calorie burn.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 910 and yes swimming doesn't burn many calories. Here are some of my free style totals; 1725 yds. = 286 calories, 1900 yds. = 300 calories burned. This is basically with very little rest but I do stop at the wall and propel forward. I figure I swim to slow to stop and rest..lol. I'm training for a half distance triathlon and of all the disciplines swimming burns the least calories but makes me the hungriest :/
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    I'm 5'10'' and 160 lb. and MFP gives me 185 calories for a 15-minute breaststroke swim. I know that MFP overestimates calories, though.

Breast stroke is a lower calorie burn per hour than a faster stroke, like front crawl (i.e. "freestyle"). Also, be careful using breast stroke in your triathlon; the kick is strong and you can really bean someone.

Can't swim any other way and the swim portion takes place in a pool.

If you are are doing a triathlon, pool or open water. You should consider learning how to swim freestyle. You're still going to get passed, you still might kick someone.

just to add, a mate of mine was kicked and it broke her foot. Breaststroke in close quarters = not good!

A tip: put your goggles on first, then the swim cap. The goggle strap will then be under the cap and you won't lose them if you get kicked in the face.

I never did a tri with a pool swim so I have no specific advice for that, though.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Steff46 wrote: »
    I use a Garmin 910 and yes swimming doesn't burn many calories. Here are some of my free style totals; 1725 yds. = 286 calories, 1900 yds. = 300 calories burned. This is basically with very little rest but I do stop at the wall and propel forward. I figure I swim to slow to stop and rest..lol. I'm training for a half distance triathlon and of all the disciplines swimming burns the least calories but makes me the hungriest :/

which half are you doing?

the swimgry is a legit thing - scientifically, its because water temp is typically colder than your body temp, so your body burns more energy trying to stay warm (than it actually burns from the workout - or something like that)
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for Augusta 70.3 in September and can't wait!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Two things on the breast stroke and the tri - 1. I was concerned also, but asked someone who did the race last year and she did breast stroke. If I enjoy it, then I will get lessons and do freestyle for the next one. 2. It's a staggered start based on how long you think it'll take you to do the distance - so there should be minimal passing - except by me :D
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Two things on the breast stroke and the tri - 1. I was concerned also, but asked someone who did the race last year and she did breast stroke. If I enjoy it, then I will get lessons and do freestyle for the next one. 2. It's a staggered start based on how long you think it'll take you to do the distance - so there should be minimal passing - except by me :D
    But the problem is that people don't know how to seed themselves for starts like this.

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Your body burns what it burns. It doesn't care what your watch says
  • joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Breast stroke, well swimming for that matter is zero impact. 750 meters isn't much. Maybe that's why.

Swimming is the best total body workout. Breaststroke will burn the least calories compared to the other strokes. However 31 sounds very low. As an aquatic professional (over 20 years experience) ive seen a lot of people with amazing body transformations from swimming. Zero impact is great for your joints!!! Thats why swimming is a lifetime sport... from diapers to diapers Lol
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Breaststroke will burn the least calories compared to the other strokes.

Actually, not true. Though the difference is pretty minimal. 10 mins of swimming freestyle at my pace burns 135cal. 10 mins breast stroke at my pace burns 140 cals.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »
    Breaststroke will burn the least calories compared to the other strokes.

Actually, not true. Though the difference is pretty minimal. 10 mins of swimming freestyle at my pace burns 135cal. 10 mins breast stroke at my pace burns 140 cals.

Might be interesting to compare distance rather than time.

I'll go much greater distance using freestyle in a given time, so it's a much more efficient stroke.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Just an update - In the "Activity Tracking Accuracy" segment of the Garmin connect app - it reads ".....Wrist heart rate accuracy during swimming is very limited".

Also - I managed four lengths freestyle yesterday...........one length at a time, but still.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Might be interesting to compare distance rather than time.

Based on distance, breaststroke burns more, but since you can get more distance with freestyle in the same amount of time as breast stroke, the speed closes the calorie gap when based on time.
    I'll go much greater distance using freestyle in a given time, so it's a much more efficient stroke.

Hence why it burns less. Effeciency requires a lower calorie burn then more laborious efforts. Breast strong involves more joint movements which engages more muscles per stroke which is where its higher calorie burn comes from. Plus it's kick recovery phase causes a slight counter pull that slows momentum.

But yes, if you have a large difference in stroke speed and are swimming large distances, you're probably better off with freestyle for higher calorie burn.

Though, I personally like mixing in both strokes and then some. My sets include freestyle, breast stroke, a little side stroke and butterfly. I enjoy getting all the different muscles worked out.