So, uh... why do strangers keep telling me "good job" while running?

Options

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I get it too but usually only in terrible weather weather or by drunk people. I live in a city though so all of the off beat paths are still pretty busy with other runners. When I visit my parents, a lot of the runners and bikers will say hello, keep it up, etc as we pass.

If I'm wearing a race bib either walking to a race or from I always get good luck, thumbs up, questions about how the race went, etc. I think people are just being friendly and supportive of you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's a wave or head nod, a "HI" or good morning. I often times have wanted to say "good job" or similar to a person I see is struggling or appears newer to running, but I never know if that comes off supportive or patronizing.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Lol, yeah you probably look like you're struggling. Maybe your face turns purpler than you realize?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Mostly it's a wave or head nod, a "HI" or good morning. I often times have wanted to say "good job" or similar to a person I see is struggling or appears newer to running, but I never know if that comes off supportive or patronizing.

So far it feels patronizing, especially when much more overweight peope say it to me. Just giving my honest thought.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    In races there is a constant stream of supportive comments when people meet on out and back sections. It has nothing to do with pace or ability. I'll say "Good job!" or "WTG!" to the leaders as well as the people I meet who are slower than I am.

For regular runs, generally I only get or give small waves, smiles, or head nods on the rare days I meet another runner. I would probably say more if someone seemed to be struggling. It isn't meant to be patronizing, just encouraging. We've all been beginners and know how hard it can be on some days to force yourself to run. It's a way of saying, "I understand what you are going through. I know it's not easy. Congratulations on getting out there and doing it."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    That sounds really weird lol. I run a ton, and this rarely happens to me (that I notice). It may outwardly look like you're struggling, even though inwardly you're fine, and randos think you could use encouragement? Or, do you happen to live in Mayberry?

Heh, the last sentence was my thought too. I've never had it happen outside a race; maybe you are inadvertently running where a race is, or the people think it's a race? Or you are just around a bunch of super friendly, encouraging people?

I mostly run on sidewalks or sometimes a trail or recreational path, and no one pays attention (lots of people run in this area and when I see another runner we often say "hi" or at least acknowledge each other positively).
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    "Runners" are the MOST supportive people I've ever met. I have literally had world class ultra marathoners take the time and the breathe to say good job to me during a race. Ok, they were passing me like I was standing still at the time but that really doesn't matter. We were sharing a path others can't or do not wish to follow. To me it's like a secret handshake - just grin, nod back and pass it along.

Us lifters should support each other more.
    Starting tomorrow I'm gonna send kisses to all the dudes doing bicep curls!

Where's your gym? I think I need to visit!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I admit, I wouldn't like this. I suggest no eye contact as you approach /pass people if you want to avoid this. I can't guarantee this will work but I use it 99% of the time and have never had any random person tell me good job, approach me at the gym or in a store, etc.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I think people are just trying to be friendly/nice/encouraging.
    I live in a pretty friendly area and don't think much about it.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner (I actually have a gym shirt that says I Hate Running, lol) but I understand the effort that goes into it. I live in a small friendly town and even I know our runners to the point of recognizing the new guy or girl on the sidewalk. I don't think that you look like you are struggling but you probably stand out as the new guy. I think the long term runners are glad to see new people picking up the sport and perhaps want to keep you motivated. That's what I do when I see a new girl struggling with how to work the equipment at the gym.