You are Not Fat (and Why This *kitten* Really Needs to Stop)

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's more when people are trying to compliment me that I end up thinking "Was I really that big?"

I knew I needed to lose some weight, and more importantly I needed to improve my fitness. But when people are trying to encourage me I get comments like "You've lost loooads of weight?" Or "You're half the person". Well I'm not half the person I've lost just under 10% of my overall original weight, not 50%. I have lost a decent amount of weight but I wouldn't call it loooaads. I really wasn't THAT big before.

Someone said to me "you've lost 300 lbs!" and I think realized immediately it was a dumb thing to say and felt awkward so I slipped into "smooth over awkward moment" mode but actually thought it was funny. I did lose loooads of weight, but my highest was maybe 220, so no, I didn't lose near 300. (I assume she was using 300 to mean "lots," but still.)
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is like splitting the difference between soda and pop. We can call it as many different names as we like but its still the same thing.

Acknowledging im fat was a huge step to start making a change.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    @rednote49 Exactly! And thanks for the laugh!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I can understand the sentiment of avoiding defining yourself only by one facet: being fat. But I feel it is important to acknowledge it especially if you want to change. I am a lot of other things besides fat, but ignoring how large I had gotten is how I got to this point in the first place. I am fat, but I am also smart, funny, pretty, nerdy, wife, doctor, sister, daughter, aunt, shy, introverted...the list goes on and on. But until I confronted the truth about myself, and recognized that it was not how I wanted to live my life anymore, I wasn't ready to change.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Actually-fat is an adjective, just like happy, sad, tall, short, thick, thin, etc. and one can indeed be fat (in the same way they can be happy, sad, etc.). The trouble is not in calling oneself fat (which is correct use of the language), It is in assuming that being fat somehow negates their value and worth as a person. Assigning a moral value to the word fat is what causes the issue. Being fat means you have excess fat. The end.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    00978yb2621k.png

Are you attempting to re-state "Love the sinner, hate the sin"?

If there is a quality that you don't like - change the behavior associated with this. Moralizing over a word is foolish. Sticking your head in the sand and not acknowledging that you can change is equally foolish.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No, i am fat. I've spent 6 years assuring myself that im not, but it's true, and i need to lose it. My self-esteem is good, i dont put myself down, but the extra weight isnt doing me any favors, and neither is assuring myself that "fat isnt bad for me".
    And "fat" doesnt mean "ugly".