Losing weight with chronic illness

Options
Hi guys!

Joined my fitness pal. I have a chronic illness M.E & now possibly fibromyalgia too. So I can't do heavy gym sessions and even my walking is impaired at the moment! So I'm losing weight fast and healthily to help improve my condition.

Anyone in the same boat who can't do too much exercise or losing weight for a health reason??

Hugs!

Emma

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Lupus, Fibro, Behcets, Hashimotos, TN.....just to name a few :)

Welcome! Our journey definitely has more struggles, but it's not impossible!
  • lirehobe
    lirehobe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Me Me Me!! :) Nephropathy, osteoarthritis of the spine, plus some others. I am losing weight to take some stress off my joints, and to feel better. Walking is also a struggle for me because of my spine.
    I like what you said ...our journey is NOT impossible!!
    Glad to have found others with the same daily struggle.
  • brenemanmonica
    brenemanmonica Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me. I have a spine disability. I also have degenerated disc disease and arthritis in my spine. I have to walk with a cane or walker and I'm in chronic debilitating pain. I obviously can't take long walks or work out. I'm hoping dropping the extra weight will help ease my pain.
  • AlexaHaydn
    AlexaHaydn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    me too. I have EDS hypermobility type, causes chronic joint pain and chronic fatigue. Doctor recommends I don't do any high impact exercise as my joints dislocate easily, but most of the time I'm too tired or my joints are aching to much for me to low impact exercise. I'm hoping losing weight will help as it'll take the pressure of my joints, and I just need to find some motivation to start some light exercise.
  • BklynEibhlin
    BklynEibhlin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Same here... lupus/mixed connective tissue disease, etc. Fortunately, I've been feeling pretty good lately, but I definitely have had times where I can't physically do any exercise. I'm still in the game though, trying to lose enough weight to dull the screaming joints down to maybe an occasional squeak. :smile:
  • emmanathan2017
    emmanathan2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me everyone!! :)
  • Kalnor
    Kalnor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've got (CMT) Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease, my ability is limited mostly in my walking ability and strength. I use a wheelchair here and there but at 46 I'm trying to make changes in my diet and lifestyle by introducing the keto diet and some strength training. Trying to get my weight down to to mid 80's (kg). Presently 98kg! Would love to here from anyone especially if your on the keto diet or strength training with disabilities.
  • MichK666
    MichK666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia. Lots of body pain, headaches, eye pain, fatigue.....yep, I'm limited in what I can do. I just try to do what I can.
  • taltakumi
    taltakumi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Me..
  • Enny2405
    Enny2405 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have crohns disease
  • kateemmett12
    kateemmett12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have ME (/CFS) and fibromyalgia. Sadly I'm about 70% bedbound. I only make it out for medical appointments and a rare meal or cinema with my husband.

I used to be fit and exercise a lot. I've always had quite a healthy, vegetarian diet but going from working full time plus lots of exercise to mostly bedbound gained me 3 stone! ☹

It's hard to reduce calories enough to lose weight without much movement so I'm going the slow and steady route (goal half a lb per week). I know if I set too low a calorie goal, I'll just be hungry and fed up! Anyway hi everyone!! How are you all getting on? Xx
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's definitely possible! I have chemo related neuropathy, degenerative discs and chronic arthritis in my neck and hands. That being said, the more I (gently) move the better I feel. I gained 30 pounds during a year of chemo and radiation, but it's almost all gone now. Took me nearly 2 years to get here, but slow and steady is winning this race!

Best decision I ever made was to join my local pool and go to aquasize classes. I also do yoga a couple times a week. Really helps with the mobility issues and both are very low impact. Contrary to popular belief you don't need super sweaty cardio or heavy lifting to improve your physical fitness.
  • howduuwnt2fl
    howduuwnt2fl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me fibro chronic pain arthritis sleep issues blah blah ....
  • beth29491
    beth29491 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I also have fibro and arthritis plus raynauds in my hands and feet so exercise is a struggle with me, I lose a lot of strength in my right arm and don't have a lot of feeling in my feet so running is also out but I'm hoping focusing on diet will help as I have two toddlers that I want to be healthy for, hopefully the support from here and keeping track of what I eat will make a big difference as I never lost any baby weight x
  • mariebarlow1
    mariebarlow1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I have ME and Fibromyalgia and have gained about 3 stone although have lost 11lbs and am now back to try again..pm me if you would like more details, if youre able to that is
  • lt2inohio
    lt2inohio Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Fibtomalgia disc disease neuropathy arthritis bulged disc anxiety sciatica can't do much lifting or exercise add me anyone maybe we can motivate each other with the struggle
  • tflower17
    tflower17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm Jasmine . I have chronic migraine and nasty fibromyalgia. I am here to ease the pain through diet and exercise. If I'm really careful I can walk on the treadmill. Im fortunate in that I can still work and I have an awesome boss who is flexable and understanding. My first major goal is to lose 81 pounds :smile: which would put me under 200 again.

Reading about everyone, makes me think that you all must be so strong to face your physical challenges and step up to change for the better. How inspiring and positive!

Anyway, I would love to make friends on this journey. Please add me. Thanks all!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've been in this circle of lymphoma for over a year now. I'm constantly having testing and surgeries done. My doctors can't really seem to find out what's behind it so that pretty much makes me an experiment but new enlarged lymph nodes pop up all over my body. The symptoms I have make it hard to exercise and maintain healthy. I'm just always sooooo tired.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight unhealthily because it just drops off which is one of the symptoms I'm currently trying to lose weight in a healthy manner and gain muscle. It's not really a fact that I can't do it because I can it's just I mostly feel weak all the time.