100+ lbs to lose...where to start?!?

Options
nykole56
nykole56 Posts: 21 Member
Hey everyone, this is my second time on here and I have over 100 lbs to lose. The first time on here I lost 30 lbs, didn't reach my goal but I fell into a bad rut due to planter fasciitis. It was so painful I stopped exercising and when I came home from work (standing all day) I could barely stand to cook dinner the pain was so bad. So I fell back into my bad habits of eating quick foods and being a couch potato. I have hit my rock bottom so to speak and I am determined to overcome the pain and get back in the game. I would love to hear advice, tips, stories, or just make friends for general support.

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
  • nghtynettie
    nghtynettie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting back into it!!! Have you tried some more cushiony insoles in your shoes? My feet kill me when I get up in the morning....I roll them on a tennis ball and massage my heels...I have cushioned insoles in my walking shoes so my feet don't hurt while I'm walking...but boy, afterwards when I put on flipflops I can hardly walk!!!! I definitely feel your pain!!! Maybe we should try Epsom salts and soak our feet...hmmm....

I'm on my journey to lose 100#s as well....I've lost 40 and I'm walking a lot!!! trying to do 5 miles a day right now. But on days that I work it is a bit less than that. Good luck...Let me know how you're doing!!!

• nykole56
    Options
    I have gotten special orthotics, I have tried physical therapy, cortisone shots, wraps, everything short of surgery lol I just can't bring myself to do that yet. I use a golf ball sometimes and lidocaine patches when it gets unbearable. I was walking almost 4 miles 4 days a week and cardio kickboxing 2 days a week but I guess my calf muscles just ceased up so this time around I am just going to have to be more cautious about over doing it and making sure I do things the right way ie lots of stretching. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck on your journey!!!
  • dchwalek127
    dchwalek127 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the weightloss! I purchased some balls with little knobs on them to help with my feet for less the $10 on Amazon, they feel great.

What about bike riding? I also need to lose 100+, that is what I plan to do for exercise (at least until winter). Then the kids can come too.
  • nykole56
    Options
    I have seen them but wasn't sure how they would feel, it's worth a try though, I'll try to find them again. Your right biking is a great alternative to getting the pressure off my feet. I don't currently have a bike but I think it's time I invest in one :) thanks so much for your support and advice!! The weather has been so up and down here lately, one half of the day it's raining the other half it's sunny so I never know what it will be like when I get out of work so I have been just doing workout videos inside to get myself started.
  • Lkav88
    Lkav88 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!! Well done you for digging yourself out that rut and doing something about it, I am sure you will succeed in losing that 100lb!!

At the start of my weight loss journey I had 100lb to lose, through good eating I have managed to lose 38.5lb, I am only just incorporating regular exercise into my weekly routine, I use YouTube as my go to for exercise videos, Leslie Sansone walk 1 mile - is fab!!

I hope your flare ups aren't too nasty and you find a good balance which suits you.
    Keep us posted :*
  • HMedina1963
    HMedina1963 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody and greetings from Virginia. I have been in a similar situation. I "relapsed" and gained back what I lost. However, I am ready for a comeback and determined to achieve my goal and share my experiences with you guys. I am looking at a "collective effort" and between all of us we can make things happen. looking forward to hear from you. Have a great morning.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I suffered from Plantar Fasciitis for years too, the thing that made the biggest difference for me was a doctor telling me to actually buy my shoes one size larger than your feet.....
    As far as starting out, I do all my workouts from home, find it easier to stay on track
  • stashia23
    stashia23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would focus on your food intake and logging every single thing you eat to start. Then when you have that down start incorporating exercise. Swimming would be a great one to incorporate. I am on the same journey to lose 100 pounds only 89 more to go! If you would like to add me I am more than happy to support you on your journey!
    In regards to the plantar fasciitis I had a really bad go with it and could barely walk: buy high quality shoes, like Danskos if you are on your feet all day ( these literally were the best thing I did for my feet), ice every day when you get home, and stretch, stretch, stretch your foot(feet). Also there is a splint you can buy to wear at night it will keep your foot flexed at night and helps a ton! If at all possible do not walk around barefoot it is the worst thing you can do for it. You got this, One day at a time!
  • Goodheavens2
    Goodheavens2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40kg and due to arthritis done very little extra exercise. I'm a teacher so I'm on my feet all day but I have only just started doing 'deliberate' exercise. You can lose the weight just by counting calories and eating at a deficit. My arthritis pain has reduced significantly since losing the weight and I can now do 9 holes of golf. My aim is to lose another 40kg and do 18 holes. You can do this!
  • nykole56
    Options
    Lkav88 wrote: »
    Welcome back!! Well done you for digging yourself out that rut and doing something about it, I am sure you will succeed in losing that 100lb!!

At the start of my weight loss journey I had 100lb to lose, through good eating I have managed to lose 38.5lb, I am only just incorporating regular exercise into my weekly routine, I use YouTube as my go to for exercise videos, Leslie Sansone walk 1 mile - is fab!!

I hope your flare ups aren't too nasty and you find a good balance which suits you.
    Keep us posted :*

I use Leslie sansone too!!! I love her videos!! I have a couple and I also have looked up some dance workouts on YouTube but I only do them when my boyfriend is in the other room haha. Thanks for the encouragement and congrats on your success!!
  • thegreenefamily3028
    thegreenefamily3028 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being back! I have well over 100 lbs to lose as well. I'm 46 days in and have dropped 31 lbs. I use Walk Away the Pounds. I would love to be a support buddy! Good luck!
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! You can do it! :smile: When I start having issues with running (I get runner's knee sometimes), then I find workout videos can help. I have some Jillian Michaels videos. Honestly, I find her kind of annoying, because I feel like she's yelling at me. I feel like yelling back - "Don't yell at me while I'm working out!" Seriously!

Another workout video that kicks my butt in a good way is "You Are Your Own Gym." It's based on bodyweight exercises, and is a combo of cardio and strength. The guy is a former army ranger trainer, but he actually doesn't yell at all. He has a very gentle and supportive style, and that works much better for me. :wink:

Anyhow, I lost 70 lbs several years back. It seemed like a lot when I first started tackling it, and it was. For me, I just needed to keep telling myself "no rush." It took me about 2 years to reach my goal. There were occasional setbacks, and I went off the wagon here and there. I probably could have done it more quickly if I'd stuck to it 100%, but hey. I got it done, and that's what matters. Bottom line - you can do it! Injuries suck, no doubt. We just gotta find a way to work with them, or around them. How about spinning? I recently got a spin bike and a spin workout video. I'd been skeptical, but even the instructional part of the video (as in, this is what spinning is) kicked my butt! The bike itself was around $300, so it was an investment, but I think of it as an investment in my health. Running is my preferred exercise, but I can't always do it, because I'm susceptible to over-use injuries. So I had to find a way to mix it up. Spin bike, plus some workout videos... it's doable.

Hey - another thought. When I was first starting out to lose 70 lbs, that just seemed insurmountable. It helped me to think in 10-lb increments. So, I started at 185. I felt horrible. That was my "rock bottom." And 115 seemed like it would never, ever happen except in my wildest dreams. I couldn't even imagine what I would look like. I'd been overweight since my teens. So I stopped focusing on 115. I just thought about 175, and tried to imagine 165. Then I was down to 172 before I knew it. Then I started fantasizing about 155. And after a couple of months, I got there. Then I started thinking about 145... you get the picture. I kept myself focused on smaller goals. After all, to reach 115, I was going to have to reach each of those smaller goals to get there. And if I kept my eyes on each smaller goal, and celebrated each time I reached one, I kept a positive attitude. And yeah, it took 2 years. But I did it. So can you!

Anyhow, you got this! We're all with you! :)
  • nykole56
    Options
    Thank you all for all the advice and encouragement, it is so overwhelming to get so much positive feed back. I am so happy I decided to rejoin and I know with a support group like this We can all be successful!!!
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have over 100 pounds to lose and I have spinal arthritis, so exercise is hit and miss for me. I am on day 6 of logging and so far so good! I had a bad day yesterday, but over all things are going well. I have tried MFP before and just wasn't motivated and quickly lost interest, but something feels different this time around. I hope we can all motivate each other :)
  • nykole56
    Options
    I have been extremely motivated in just the short 5 days I have been back. Your right foodfavor, it feels different this time around. A lot has happened since I was last here and my determination is very strong this time.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    nykole56 wrote: »
    I have been extremely motivated in just the short 5 days I have been back. Your right foodfavor, it feels different this time around. A lot has happened since I was last here and my determination is very strong this time.

You got this! On the slow days/weeks just remember the motivation that got you to this point. Dont ever let it go. Use every success no matter how big or small to keep you going :)
  • rebekahfaulkner7
    rebekahfaulkner7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, very encouraging comments but how does this work?! I'm new.. surely not recording what you eat is enough to loose this amount of weight. what sort of things do you eat? Any help is much appreciated. thanks!
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Take each day at a time and try not to look at the overall goal or it may seem daunting. In essence weight loss is easy regardless of the amount you have to lose, small, good decisions on a daily basis...that's all there is too it. Also try to remember to enjoy the journey. Relish losing 10lb and how it makes you feel, the way your clothes will fit and how you'll breath easier, sure you'll still have a way to go for the ultimate aim but you'll be in a damn site better place than where you started.

I'd say best of luck but you don't need it, it's a choice for you to make.