It's NOT a Diet rather a Lifestyle Change

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I love everyone's input.
    When I refer to the phrase "lifestyle change", it was geared more towards those who have chronic illness, auto-immune disease, diabetes, (type I & II), cancer, heart disease, etc. Where making an overhaul in their eating habits & exercise regime is key to improving/surviving life rather than turn to medication to manage everything.

No kind of lifestyle change is going to make a difference to most autoimmune diseases... a select few exceptions - Crohn's, perhaps, since certain foods may trigger problems that others don't, and type 1 diabetics have to watch what they eat. Speaking as someone who has two; alopecia and ITP (my immune system attacks my hair and my blood platelets)... I have the same amount of flare ups now as when I was obese. Others I know who also have autoimmune diseases and lost weight/changed eating habits are the same, though I can't speak for everyone. I'm the kind of person who hates the 'just do X, rather than relying on medication!' attitude. Medication works. Medication is often necessary. Medication saves lives. Medication saved my life when I had a platelet count of 3 (normal is 200-400). Do you know what didn't save me from my life threatening autoimmune disease? Losing 70lbs and changing the way I eat. It made me healthier probably in the long run and now I'm at less risk of heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure etc, but nothing's going to change the part of my DNA that gave me autoimmune diseases. My grandmother passed that to me; she was type 1 diabetic.
    Personally I didn't really have a lifestyle change and I don't consider it to be that. I still go out and have brunch dates with my best friend. I still have takeaway and gaming nights with my friends. I still don't exercise other than walking (I know, I should, but I hate exercising so much... I'm working on it!) and I still eat all the foods I used to, just less of them. Only difference is I eat more vegetables now and log everything I eat to stay under calories. I look totally different to how I looked 70lbs ago, but my lifestyle is pretty similar.

Thankfully my Ankylosing Spondylitis autoimmune disease and its many side effects did start reversion after I started eating <50 grams of carbs daily in my case. Thanks for sharing about a disease I did not know about that sounds much worse than my form of arthritis. I did find the below info relating to ITP.

guide2itp.com/eat-this-for-a-health-boost

https://earthclinic.com/cures/itp.html

igliving.com/magazine/articles/IGL_2014-10_AR_Understanding-and-Treating-Idiopathic-Thrombocytopenic-Purpura.pdf

Best of success in managing ITP.

• Pid57
    Pid57 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a beautiful 25-year-old niece who is obese. She's tried dieting but when the diet is over the weight comes back plus more. We've all been there. I struggled my whole life with my weight until I realized the ugly truth is that you basically have to diet and exercise the rest of your life if you want to maintain your weight loss. So it IS a lifestyle choice. Lifestyle changes make you successful long-term. You have to develop good habits and then recognize the benefits of that new behavior. It sucks but it's just the truth. You have to decide if good health and a better body are worth giving up the extra calories. I eat everything but just portion control. I don't eat all I want ever. And I run 4 x a week.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Pid57 wrote: »
    I have a beautiful 25-year-old niece who is obese. She's tried dieting but when the diet is over the weight comes back plus more. We've all been there. I struggled my whole life with my weight until I realized the ugly truth is that you basically have to diet and exercise the rest of your life if you want to maintain your weight loss. So it IS a lifestyle choice. Lifestyle changes make you successful long-term. You have to develop good habits and then recognize the benefits of that new behavior. It sucks but it's just the truth. You have to decide if good health and a better body are worth giving up the extra calories. I eat everything but just portion control. I don't eat all I want ever. And I run 4 x a week.

@Pid57 something does not add up. I eat all I want and stay stuffed for the most part, can't even run and have maintained for the past two years without undue effort on my part other than sticking with my macro that removed my cravings over two years ago.

There is a time coming when we all will not be able to exercise so try to read up on how to maintain without needing to burn calories just to maintain a healthy weight. Pounds that are lost by exercise are sure to return and bring more with them when they return.
  • Mlsuccess2018
    Mlsuccess2018 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have seen the words "life-style change" tossed around on so many diet books and diet fads it makes it less impressive to me. Just change the food that makes you fat. Drop the peanut butter (that is my go to food) drop the carbs (I know what they do to me!) get up off the couch and move, move, and move. These posts are funny with so many opinions tossed around. What is good for you may not be good for me. Our bodies are not the same.

I love to write, draw, and paint, so it is something I have to make myself do. Get up and move. I have a lot of family that have low or high sugar problems, high blood pressure, heart problems, and cholesterol problems. I do not want to lose my legs because of diabetes, my vision, or have heart and kidney complications because I am obese. I am still there, but I am working on changing my eating habits. Eat more veggies. Eat regular meals and do not skip meals. Drink plenty of water. and finally, get up and move. My saying is Lose it or else. I have a goal to lose 50 pounds by my next birthday in a year. We will see how close I can get. If I am losing, it is a good thing. Maybe I will reduce my medications and live longer for my children and myself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

@Pid57 something does not add up. I eat all I want and stay stuffed for the most part, can't even run and have maintained for the past two years without undue effort on my part other than sticking with my macro that removed my cravings over two years ago.

There is a time coming when we all will not be able to exercise so try to read up on how to maintain without needing to burn calories just to maintain a healthy weight. Pounds that are lost by exercise are sure to return and bring more with them when they return.

Why is there a time coming when we all will not be able to exercise?
  • christinecameron901
    christinecameron901 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,I am new here.I tried all thoses fad diets and they worked for awhile, but I always gained it back.Since I have been tracking my food intake and exercising, I have managed to keep healthy weight.Hope you are having a nice day. :smiley:
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Your co-pay co-paid for your doctor's vacation home and your doctor doesn't invite you to join your doctor for vacations. Therefore, co-paying sucks. Get healthy and quit co-paying. Buy your own vacation home.

Not everyone on here is an American.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There's decent research evidence now suggesting that regular exercise materially reduces risk for metastatic recurrence of breast cancer. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a similar effect for at least the types of cancer that are more common in the same people (colorectal, ovarian, etc.), though I know of no research to support that.

For me, exercise was also part of what was required to regain my strength, vitality and happiness after surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Others' mileage may vary.

That fits with the idea that most cancers cannot metabolize fat. By exercising, one depletes their body's supply of glycogen, which cancers prefer to eat.

Cancers can and do metabolize fat. They are highly dependent on it. In a glucose rich environment, most preferentially use glucose for energy to spare the available fatty acids for anabolic purposes (exceptions for prostate cancer and leukemia - they utilize fat preferentially). In a glucose poor environment, they will use fatty acids as primary fuel. This is something rarely seen in cell culture because the predominant media used is glucose rich and very fat poor in comparison to human blood and most tissues.

Cancer cells also significantly upregulate lipogenesis and some also upregulate lipid scavenging because they utilize more fat than is typically available for membrane biosynthesis and other functions. Limiting fatty acid availability has an inhibitory effect on cancer proliferation*.

*Lipid metabolic reprogramming in cancer cells, Oncogenesis (2016)
    nature.com/oncsis/journal/v5/n1/full/oncsis201549a.html

One eye opener from studying cancer and its behaviour for the past 2-3 years is how cancer can and will adapt to just about any environment change we can make. I do think reversing cancer is a possibility. Key to prevention is to develop a high number of Mitochondria and keep them health along with not overing loading the immune system as I see it today. Working to lower my CRP test results is a current goal of mine to lighten the burden on my immune system.

I have a few questions

1. If cancer adapts to any environment, then how is changing the environment going to reverse cancer?
    2. How does having a high number of mitochondria protect against cancer?
    3. What defines a healthy mitochondria? How is that measured?
    4. What do you mean by "overloading the immune system? "
    5. Does CRP cause immune system overload? How does lowering CRP change your immune system?

@tomteboda those are key questions and thanks for asking. I will start organizing resources that I have read and implemented over the last 2-3 years.

https://drwhitaker.com/3-ways-to-tune-up-your-mitochondria-and-enhance-energy

Dr. Whitaker is an MD that I have been following for about 25 years. Cancer and other disease states seem to most often move into the body after a long decline in cell voltage due to the reduced energy output of our mitochondrial.

CRP can be the result of body inflammation as well as cause more inflammation it seems.

https://womentowomen.com/inflammation/what-is-c-reactive-protein-crp-and-hs-crp/

"CRP is not only an excellent biomarker of inflammation, but it is also a direct participant in atherogenesis. Many studies have demonstrated that increased CRP concentrations are associated with an increased risk of MI, stroke, peripheral arterial disease, and sudden cardiac death. Unlike other markers of inflammation, CRP levels are stable over long periods, have no diurnal variation, can be measured inexpensively with available high-sensitivity assays, and have shown specificity in terms of predicting the risk of cardiovascular disease. When combined with lipid screening, CRP improves global risk prediction in patients who would otherwise not be identified for primary prevention by lipid assessment alone."

Source of above quote: sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1110260814001173
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Using Whitaker as a source?

Just reading the Wikipedia on him is enough to discredit him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Whitaker

Gale, I realize that your belief in what you say is earnest. But frankly, nothing you post has any relation to actual science. It's all pseudo-science.

From the Wikipedia entry:

"Whitaker has been a controversial figure, and has been criticized for his self-promotional approach to medicine, potential conflicts of interest, and his embrace of scientifically unsound practices.
    The National Council Against Health Fraud (NCAHF) criticizes Whitaker for promoting himself as "America's #1 health advocate," "America's #1 health champion," and "the physician America trusts." According to the NCAHF, Whitaker advocates therapies involving growth hormones, chelation and megavitamins, and intervenes on behalf of other "maverick" doctors in legal trouble.
    The Los Angeles Times notes that Whitaker serves as a consultant to vitamin companies advertised on his website, a practice criticized by doctors. In the article, Whitaker is classified as a doctor "mixing celebrity and cyberspace".
    Whitaker claims to be a leading expert in "anti-aging medicine" CNN reports that anti-aging medicine is not a specialty recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties and doctors cannot be officially certified in it."

:|

Sources are available through the actual entry.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Gale, I realize that your belief in what you say is earnest. But frankly, nothing you post has any relation to actual science. It's all pseudo-science.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1110260814001173

Why do you say this link has nothing to do with science?

I try to post sources that hold terminal degrees in healthcare vs being one that posts personal opinions on healthcare topics without holding terminal degrees or specific experience on the subject yet stating their views are based on medical science.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1110260814001173

Why do you say this link has nothing to do with science?

I try to post sources that hold terminal degrees in healthcare vs being one that posts personal opinions on healthcare topics without holding terminal degrees or specific experience on the subject yet stating their views are based on medical science.

I prefer to base decisions on the substance of the argument rather than the letters behind one's name. That is science.

Reliance on those with terminal degrees amounts to faith unless you are duplicating studies and challenging information.