FitBit and MPF exercise logging

Options
Hello!

I've been using both MFP and FitBit religiously for years, I do understand how the both work... For the most part.

My issue is that I have my them synced up and love the convenience, but MFP never shows "workouts." Example, if my friends manually log exercise or use mapmyfitness it shows a lovely little update in their feed.

I'd like something to show for my work as well, especially when I sign up for MFP challenges, but FitBit doesn't show up that way. If I were to manually add them it would throw off the automatically calculated calories from the sync.

Is there anything I'm missing that would allow me use my FitBit and still show I worked out without additionally adding it manually? Or show my steps for the day?

Thanks in advance, guys!
-Natasha

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You could always just post a status about your workout on your feed. That's essentially what you are seeing from your friends is an automated status post about the logged workout.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You could always just post a status about your workout on your feed. That's essentially what you are seeing from your friends is an automated status post about the logged workout.

This. All MFP sees when you sync your Fitbit is the steps taken and total calories burned. It can't tell what was burned through exercise, general activity, or BMR.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have had it for a week. I edit the info from MapMyFitness in MyFitnessPal with the calories from Fitbit and then delete the duplicate entry in Fitbit.
  • david_flynn
    david_flynn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    why are my fitbit steps for exercise being added and not subtracted for available calories?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    why are my fitbit steps for exercise being added and not subtracted for available calories?

The equation displayed on the mobile apps is different than the equation displayed on the web version.

Mobile apps: Goal - Food + Exercise = Remaining

On the mobile apps, if you are getting a negative Fitbit adjustment in "Exercise," you have negative adjustments enabled, and at that point in the day your Fitbit Calorie adjustment shows that you have not exceeded the MFP Activity Level you chose; so MFP is taking away (subtracting) exercise from your "Goal." You must move more to get the Exercise adjustment to turn positive.

Web version: Food - (or +) Exercise = Net

On the web version, if the Exercise portion is being subtracted that is actually good; because that means the Fitbit Calorie adjustment is positive and it is being subtracted from the amount of Food that you have logged up to that point in the day. When the Exercise adjustment on the web version is added, it means that you have negative adjustments enabled and your Fitbit adjustment is actually negative (it displays as "plus" because subtracting a negative number is adding a positive number).

It is confusing because MFP displays two different equations with different results; the mobile apps display Calories Remaining, whereas the web version displays Net Calories.