So, uh... why do strangers keep telling me "good job" while running?

Options

Replies

• pawamonster
    pawamonster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is common among runners/bikers, hikers, etc.

Are we really at such a state that we question greetings and attaboys?

Just take the frickin' compliment.

Greetings are great! I always greet a fellow runner/hiker/biker.
    The issue I have is with the attaboys...I don't seek validation from strangers and it just feels a little odd and disingenuous to me.

Exactly! Especially when the trail is busy and I didn't see them "attaboy-ing" others, just waving at them.
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Even if it sits weird with you or makes you feel odd, just try to take it as a compliment and understand they're just trying to be friendly and encouraging - even if you don't need it. I'm sure it has zero to do with you looking like you're struggling or anything of the sort. They probably say it to every single person they pass. I want to run where you run. It sounds like a great atmosphere.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Are you running with your biceps flexed? Maybe that explains it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, the encouragement I get is from the cyclists, mostly (I run).

Never a 'good job', usually a thumb's up, a wave, or 'isn't it a great day to be out?' I've had one circle back around so he could give me a high-five.

I've also had some not-great interactions with people, including getting backed off the trail and quasi-cornered by a conspiracy-theorist nutter for an hour in the wee hours of the morning. Fortunately, he wasn't violent, just wanted someone to listen.

Point being, it's not all smiles and roses. Take positive comments as they are. It's not worth reading in condescension where likely none is intended.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    bcclenney wrote: »
    Sounds like people just wanting to offer encouragement. People need to relax and quit trying to make everything a battle. I'm one of the weirdos that actually says hello to people. Maybe they recognize you from 130 pounds ago and are impressed with the work you've done.

Usually, the Good Job, is for new faces at off peak hours.. the familiar faces just get a wave or a nod...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Oddly enough, the encouragement I get is from the cyclists, mostly (I run).

We're just amazed that anyone would do that. :wink:
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When running in the wilderness I love compliments and attaboys. When running on the strip in Las Vegas no eye contact and have a bit in reserve in order to sprint away from some of the local denizens. For me it is all about location.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I say it in my head every time I drive by a runner: "you go, dude". I've said it to people I've passed while jogging myself, and have yet to get anything but a grin or funny comment in return. Maybe it's like those people who drive motorcycles who have to wave at every other motorcycle driver. Like a club. Just go with it. I choose to believe that we are all supporting one another and they are just more verbal than most.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Not uncommon to be riding my bike and hear a horn blare just before someone yells "GET THE EFF OFF THE ROAD!"

Let's not complain about good natured people being good natured. It could be a lot worse.

Yeah. You're probably one of those who rides your bike in the middle of the street, holding up traffic and denies it.

You mean riding defensively in the dominant road position?

Sure. Down a huge boulevard which can fit two lanes of traffic and a horse drawn buggy in the middle of the city.

Assume every cage is under the control of an idiot that wants to kill you and you don't go far wrong.

And that applies whether I'm on a pushbike or a motorbike.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha it's so interesting to see everyone's differences. As shown in my previous post I'm so used to being spoken to when I'm out walking that if I'm not spoken to it's like this huge affront. Like if I smile and say good morning and the other person ignores me in my mind I'm like "Well *kitten* you too then buddy!" Hahaha but it's only because that person was like 1 out of 50 that didn't make eye contact or say hello so it just feels like this huge glaring dismissal because everyone else on their run/walk/cycle is waving, walking, smiling at each other etc, even if headphones are in and blaring. So the one person that ignores you suddenly feels like "That Guy." Like, why you gotta p*ss on the party man?

*Please take this post in the cheeky tone intended. I know that some ppl are just in their own zone. It's just an example of how outgoing we are here generally speaking, so what to us feels out of place.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is common among runners/bikers, hikers, etc.

Are we really at such a state that we question greetings and attaboys?

Just take the frickin' compliment.

I was out on my road bike a couple of weeks ago, didn't go far but for about 40K I was in the opposite direction to a local sportive that was going on.

I was getting hoarse by the end with acknowledging other riders.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Isn't this about saying "good job"? So different from smiles, waves, hellos, or other benign or pleasant forms of friendly acknowledgment.

Good job is what the nursery school teacher says to little Johnny when he completes his finger painting.

It's what Mommy says to little Suzy when she loads the dishwasher.

It's what a physical therapist says to an 80 year old dementia patient who takes a few steps with a walker from a wheelchair.

Good job? Not for a stranger to say to a strapping, fit, 40 year old guy minding his own business while he jogs outside. For goodness sake.

I totally agree. A "hello" or "good morning" or friendly wave is totally appropriate from a stranger. This weird random "encouragement" just seems odd. We are adults and this does come off as childish.

It's just what runners do... 20 years half a dozen states, it's always the same...

I've been running for 3 years and have yet to encounter this. Happy to live where I do, I suppose.