Atkins, no hunger, can't hit calorie goal

Options
I'm on Atkins induction (yes, I know it isn't for everyone but as an insulin resistance PCOS thyroid devoid fibro queen I'm giving low carb a go) and am finding something really weird is going on.

I'm not hungry.

Bear in mind I am your classic volume eater. I like to eat, and I like to eat big plates of it. Hence my need to lose weight.

I've lost 13lbs in 9 days and am aware it is mostly water weight. But I can't seem to motivate myself to eat...well, anything.

My calorie goal is 1770 a day, to lose 1.5lbs a week (6'2 with a start weight above 260lbs). But for example today, even after several hours wandering a shopping mall and a half hour dog walk, I'm just over 450 calories and could quite contently not have another bite the rest of the day.

Does anyone else on a low carb diet have a similar problem? What do you do to make yourself eat to meet a calorie goal?

I should add that I am feeling 100% fine on such a low cal diet. No dizziness, nausea, easy to wake up, not exhausted as I expected I would be. But I'm aware that staying sub-1000 calories a day, especially at my size, is not ideal. So anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Depending on how far into doing Atkins you are, I would suggest just listening to your body. If you've been eating like this for weeks on end, I might say to atleast get closer to 1,000-1,200 but just like @VintageFeline said, I also think at some point, you may wake up and feel like you have insatiable hunger, and then it may feel incredibly hard to stay within your calories. But if you genuinely do not have a desire to eat, I think you should just listen to those feelings, just be aware, there may come a day (or a few days in a row) where you feel very very hungry and will have to be mentally strong to stay within a couple hundred of your calorie goal.
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying so quickly!

It is a weird one because I *know* under 1000 cals a day is bad, but I'm feeling so good I'm scared of messing it up by eating more. It's a similar feeling I expect people who do short fasts feel.

Had anyone tried making "fat bombs"? A ton started coming up on my Pinterest feed but I don't really get what they are. Worth a try for the calorie boost?
  • Rammer123
    Options
    At 450 calories and not being hungry, I rather think it's not okay to listen to your own body.

Ok thanks for your input on my opinion.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    BigAnnieG wrote: »
    Thanks for replying so quickly!

but I'm feeling so good I'm scared of messing it up by eating more. quote]

I think that can be a problem. That can lead you to start having eating issues, convincing yourself that you need to eat less in order to stay on track. If that comes into play when deciding if you're hungry or not, that's not listening to your body. If you feel hungry, but then decide, nah I'm not thatttttt hungry and I'm doing so well I just shouldn't eat anymore, that's not good.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You'd be best served if you got closer to your set daily calorie goal, however you choose to get there.

Good luck; I'm glad you're not struggling with hunger right now!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    even if you're not hungry, try something like a spoonful of peanut butter or something like that. Or try oil on your veggies as a way to add more fats and calories without seeming like you're eating more?
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Maybe you finally found something that works well for you? I would say make sure you are getting enough water, it helps me feel hungrier sometimes. But sounds like its good for you so far. I would see where it takes you. Good luck!
  • BigAnnieG
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have only been on this for 9 days (almost 10) so you're probably right about the "ketone high" and the hunger will come! If it stays away, I'll try adding the extra cals in with nut butters etc as suggested :-)
  • GLady1980
    GLady1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    At 450 cals that is pretty low to not feel any hunger but I wonder have you properly calculated your cals? If that is not it then I am with the majority to add high fats and protein they are usually high in cals but healthy such as nuts, hard boiled eggs, cheese :)
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ive asked a similar question on the low carb group here (worth joining many knowledgeable people there). And someone said hunger comes back. Today I was able to meet my calorie goal.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    BigAnnieG, I was in the same boat as you last week (low cal, no hunger on a keto diet). I'm still doing a keto diet, but have leveled out a bit by going to six small meals a day. It's a tad tedious, especially if you're looking to get enough protein so you don't lose muscle, but I've found that I'm functioning even better!

Then again, perhaps it won't be as tedious for you, if you don't have food allergies yourself or in your household! (Mine has tree nut (me+daughter)/coconut (daughter) issues, which adds a lot of complication.

The meals/snacks should be somewhat consistent (I was eating a big breakfast in the morning, and this was causing some of my troubles). I'm aiming for 1500 calories a day, and am trying to be in the range of 200-350 for the first five "meals" and going a bit smaller on the last one. I've only been somewhat successful (I've found I'm still having 400-450 calorie meals here and there), but it's a lot closer than I was.

Also, for extra calories, something that's been recommended to me (but I haven't tried because I don't like one of the ingredients and I don't keep one of the others in the house due to my daughter's allergies) is "bulletproof coffee." I've been told that it's a good way to get a "meal" in for the breakfast spot but keep your body in "full keto mode." I'm not overly familiar with the intricacies of the whole deal, but figured it's "food for thought."

Also, if you're interested in learning more about macronutrient percentages for keto diets, here's a pretty great page that was recommended to me: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I noticed you posted this at 12:50 in the afternoon. I'd suspect you would have feelings of hunger later in the day... If its an occasional/random day of no appetite, no worries. Stay hydrated but listen to your body on food. Should not be a regular thing though.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. After a few days you'll probably be hungry again, don't worry about it unless the issue persists more than a few days.
  • BigAnnieG
    Options
    I noticed you posted this at 12:50 in the afternoon. I'd suspect you would have feelings of hunger later in the day... If its an occasional/random day of no appetite, no worries. Stay hydrated but listen to your body on food. Should not be a regular thing though.

It was a lunchtime pondering, really, as I suddenly realises that I was around a lot of food (lunchtime in a shopping mall!) And realised that since starting the diet I hadn't thought about food or felt hunger at all - even with all those lovely food smells around! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are doing keto because you want it to kill hunger, I think you have to accept that it might and eat for the sake of getting in the calories and nutrition (and not just fat bombs, which aren't really nutritious).

If you feel like you don't need to, that's the keto effect talking, it's still not good to eat 450 calories per day (unless you are fasting and have a scheduled low day).

If you can't possibly fit in more food, something problematic is going on, talk to a doctor.