How to over feeling intimated and/or embarrassed at the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been in and out of gyms for much of my life...anytime I start at a new gym, I'm pretty uncomfortable...it's a foreign environment with a bunch of people I don't know, etc. It usually only takes me a couple of weeks to feel more at home, though I've had one particular gym that just wasn't a match for me and never felt like home, so I moved on...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The only pet peeve I have with gym goers is not wiping down the equipment after themselves. My big "aha" moment is that gym goers busy watching their own progress. That's it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    secondly- who gives a flying Fk if someone is hanging out at the gym? As long as they aren't in your way- what difference does it make to you?

Answer: none.

Yeah. Possibly one of the easiest things to do to get used to going to the gym? Go and sit in the lobby (or whatever it may have) for a few minutes a few times. You're there. Then start doing things.

we have 3 big ole couches in the "lobby" of our gym. People come take preworkout naps on them.

LOL #teamhangoutatthegym

better than an ally somewhere.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    secondly- who gives a flying Fk if someone is hanging out at the gym? As long as they aren't in your way- what difference does it make to you?

Yeah. Possibly one of the easiest things to do to get used to going to the gym? Go and sit in the lobby (or whatever it may have) for a few minutes a few times. You're there. Then start doing things.

we have 3 big ole couches in the "lobby" of our gym. People come take preworkout naps on them.

LOL #teamhangoutatthegym

Bradley Martin (Is this his name? IDK I saw it on Mark Bell's channel...) put couches and video games in his new gym because he wants people to "hang out."

Sorry all my frands are at the gym?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    You might also try out the weight machines first - use those to build some strength and become more comfortable just BEING at the gym, knowing that it's more difficult for someone else to tell what you were lifting ;)

Then, once getting to the gym is more of a routine, try out the free weights.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you have flexibility in terms of when you can work out, I'd highly recommend asking the people at the front desk about their peak times and quietest times. It may be easier for you to acclimate when it's not packed.

I'd also suggest redefining what a successful gym visit entails, at least in the beginning. Call it a win anytime you get in the door, and make it okay for yourself to leave if you feel like it. You did the treadmill and some bench sets? Awesome! Next time, if you're comfortable, try doing that and one more thing. Or not. Maybe next time it's packed with people all doing circuits and every piece of equipment is in use, but you still walked in the door, so you still get kudos for going. It's also totally fine to take a break and sit in the lobby until you're ready to try again.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It can be tough, especially being a GIRL on the "GUYS" side of the gym. Start by getting more comfortable and knowledgeable about what you want to do: read reputable literature, get a few sessions with a trainer, and start with just the bar until you are certain our form is spot on. Don't be ashamed, everyone has to start somewhere! If you are able, try to go during off peak hours until you are more comfortable, then work your way up to it.

Or just do what I do. Headphones in, straight to the hex bar, and get to work. You always hear horror stories about catty witches or stupid steroid swoleheads, but it has been my experience that these people are maybe 1%. You are there for YOU. You got this. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LOL #teamhangoutatthegym

Bradley Martin (Is this his name? IDK I saw it on Mark Bell's channel...) put couches and video games in his new gym because he wants people to "hang out."

Sorry all my frands are at the gym?
    sorry not sorry.

we hang out at the gym- then we go hang out at sushi. Then we meet up the next day and repeat.
    Exactly- sorry not sorrrrrrrrry
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I was intimidated when I first went over to the free weights section, too. I hired a PT for a few sessions to teach me the big compound lifts, make sure my form was good, and give me a starting point as far as how much weight to lift. It didn't take me long to start feeling like I belonged there just as much as the guys did, and now I don't think twice. I also use headphones because good music gets me pumped up, and Who Run the World (Girls) is my Official Squats Song, so if music helps you feel more confident then go for it!

ETA: A lot of women struggle with upper body stuff in the beginning; lots of ladies can't OHP the empty Olympic bar when they first start, and bench not much more. You start where you are and just work your way up from there. Everyone starts somewhere!
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    YES. THIS POST. The intimidation is real.

That said, I used to be intimidated by the gym, period. Were you ever self-conscious at the gym when you first started? What did you do to get comfortable? I bet you just DID THE THING until it was something that was no longer weird or scary, right?
    You got this. Indeed, fake it til you make it. You're already getting points for trying. :smiley:
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Everyone's already offered up great advice.

Only thing I can add is if all else fails, ask. When I first started in the gym and didn't know what to do I just watched what other people did and if they looked approachable I'd ask them to show me how to do it. What I've found is that most people are not only willing, but are more than happy to help.

Good luck, I hope you don't get discouraged. The long term benefits of lifting far outweighs (pun) the short term anxiety of getting started.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Don't be. You're entering into uncharted waters and it's just new to you now. Everyone in that gym started where you are now - remember that.

Talk to people there and listen to those more experienced in the beginning. Fact check on the internet or in these forums. Get to know people there and finds friends with similar goals to motivate each other.

The toughest part is going to the gym. Once you're there it's all just routine.
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First off Stronglifts 5x5 is a great/easy program to follow!! I started by watching a ton of youtube videos to be sure I had form down properly. Then just get in there!!! Honestly, I've never had so many people talk to me at the gym until I started lifting. They have all been very nice and helpful!!!
  • henryjamessimm388
    henryjamessimm388 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to hate going, just cause I always felt judged by everyone! I had a couple of pt sessions to get my form in check, and once you know you're solid on that, it's weird how much less intimidated I felt!

Also, most people there are so focused on their own workouts (or at least should be...) that although it may feel they're watching you constantly, they probably don't really care what you're doing... :)