Ketogenic Diet

I've almost reached ketotosis but I find myself being a chronic snacker. Macadamias raw are my weakness!! Anyone have any keto friendly snack ideas? I've snacked on enough fat bombs to last a lifetime. Help!!

Replies

• cis5
    cis5 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi I used to eat lots of Cheese crisps. Just put grated strong cheddar cheese on a griddle on med-high, when they bubble flip. If you fancy some spice sprinkle with Chilli flakes! Leave for 10mins and they will crisp up.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Cheese string and deli meats.
  • lilysillycat
    lilysillycat Posts: 159 Member
    I could eat Macadamias nuts by the lb so I never buy it. I have a few pork rinds when I need something crunchy.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Hard-boiled eggs. Salami. Pepperoni. Jerky (but watch for hidden carbs/sugars). Pork rinds. Pretty much any kind of nut or seed. Dark chocolate...the darker the better (I like it in the 70-85% cacao range myself). Nutbutters. Seed butters. Olives. Pickles. Cottage Cheese. Full fat plain yogurt. Limited veggie sticks (Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, bell peppers, etc.) with full fat ranch (or other) salad dressing.
  • shaliangel
    shaliangel Posts: 1 Member
    I'm new to the ketogenic way. Where do I begin? Thank you
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    @shaliangel Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group. Their Launch pad has a LOT of information. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There are some good books and blogs out there too. Keto Clarity is a nice introduction to the diet.

Ketogenic diets are diets low in carbohydrates, moderate to higher protein, and moderate to high fat. Carbs are kept under 50g per day with many starting at about 20-30g of carbs per day.
  • ElvenSong1
    ElvenSong1 Posts: 5 Member
    Best book I found for beginners is Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore. It is my Keto Bible. I love macadamias. Not sure they love me. I could eat the whole bag and go way over calories. I am totally not hungry with blood ketones being 1.3mm/dl. if I do snack. I grab a piece of string cheese or piece of meat / egg. Beware of deli meat. Some is cured with maltodextrin and sugar. I bought some deli chicken 3 days ago and gave it to my hubby after reading the ingredients (and gladly before eating it). KetoDietApp has a great macro calculator. I used it and just plugged my goals into MFP.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited June 2017
    Cheese, deli meat, pepperoni sticks, pork rinds, almonds, pickles, sugar-free jello...

I like pickles as a snack because they're so low-calorie but so flavourful and crunchy.

• FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Babybel, Cheese sticks, jerky sticks, boiled egg, pork rinds, stuffed olives, pickles and other things like this. Just rotate them so you don't jet worn out on them & make sure you track your intake of everything closely.

I don't ever eat nuts as a snack unless I weigh or measure them out. It's too easy to go overboard on them. If you don't have a scale to weigh them on, you can also get those small plastic 2 oz portion cups at the store. I used these for a while for both nuts & condiments for portion control.

9c563zmq0w37.jpg
  • SeriousCat
    SeriousCat Posts: 6 Member
    Been making keto pudding lately and it tastes amazing.

Ingredients:
    - heavy whipping cream (1 small carton)
    - vanilla extract (1 tsp)
    - stevia extract (1 cup)
    - flax meal (1 cup)

Mix with electric mixer until creamy. Has 0g net carbs!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    This is a tough one. To get into Ketosis you want to limit your meals and definitely cut out snacks not add them, why, because any food/meal/snack will cause a rise in insulin and temporarily halt the body from burning it's own fat as a source of energy.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    This is a tough one. To get into Ketosis you want to limit your meals and definitely cut out snacks not add them, why, because any food/meal/snack will cause a rise in insulin and temporarily halt the body from burning it's own fat as a source of energy.

As long as the snacks are low in carbs (and you're consuming under 50g net carbs per day), meal frequency/timing isn't really going to affect your state of ketosis.