So, uh... why do strangers keep telling me "good job" while running?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Isn't this about saying "good job"? So different from smiles, waves, hellos, or other benign or pleasant forms of friendly acknowledgment.

Good job is what the nursery school teacher says to little Johnny when he completes his finger painting.

It's what Mommy says to little Suzy when she loads the dishwasher.

It's what a physical therapist says to an 80 year old dementia patient who takes a few steps with a walker from a wheelchair.

Good job? Not for a stranger to say to a strapping, fit, 40 year old guy minding his own business while he jogs outside. For goodness sake.

I totally agree. A "hello" or "good morning" or friendly wave is totally appropriate from a stranger. This weird random "encouragement" just seems odd. We are adults and this does come off as childish.

It's just what runners do... 20 years half a dozen states, it's always the same...

I've been running for 3 years and have yet to encounter this. Happy to live where I do, I suppose.

I always acknowledge other runners with a nod or a wave, but never shout anything at them. I guess I'm just speaking for myself, but getting shouts of encouragement isn't really that motivating, lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    IMHO- it's like the motorcycle wave.

It means nothing- but makes people feel good to be included- either the receiver or the giver.

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon to be riding my bike and hear a horn blare just before someone yells "GET THE EFF OFF THE ROAD!"

Let's not complain about good natured people being good natured. It could be a lot worse.

Don't you mean "mnmnnmnj MHNCHNNJN mmmmmhmnmjm"?

At least that's what I assume people are yelling, that's all I can hear as they fly by much faster over the wind noise
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I was raised on team-based sports (soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, cross country). Shouting motivation from the sidelines was totally expected when not on the field/pool/whatever. I was the team captain for my varsity swim team so you gotta get real close and scream loudly for them to hear :lol: And keep it up too, those long distance swimmers need cheering as well!

Lol. I guess running community is more openly supportive like that. It's what I am used to so when someone cheers me on I would take it as a sign of support. I do that at sporting events too, but I doubt getting in someone else's face while running and screaming "AAAAAHHHH YEAAAAAAAAH! WOOOOHOOOO!" is socially acceptable way to support them. "Good job" is a little more polite lmao.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Maybe they see the same people for months/years on end and you appear to be "new" to running in the area - so they are encouraging you to keep it up?

Just a thought. I do CrossFit, so we are always encouraging each other. It's nice. I say just enjoy it!
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Words of encouragement/support from passing runners/walkers never happens to me! I either say hi or hello or good morning but never good job. Maybe I'll switch it up and see what happens!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on where you live, and your response probably depends on if you grew up somewhere else.

I live in a place where its expected that you say something in acknowledgement of anyone you pass. I've discovered that in some other places it is acceptable to say absolutely nothing to other people in your space.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    usually only in races.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it can vary a lot from one area to another. Living in Southern California, people usually avoid making eye contact with each other like their lives depend on it. When I visited Texas, I was floored by how friendly everyone was, even people just walking by. At first it felt really weird but then I realized- this is awesome!!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi All,

Lets practice being the "friendly supportive athlete" types we all seem to like so much and be nice to one another.

Thanks!

4legs
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I was raised on team-based sports (soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, cross country). Shouting motivation from the sidelines was totally expected when not on the field/pool/whatever. I was the team captain for my varsity swim team so you gotta get real close and scream loudly for them to hear :lol: And keep it up too, those long distance swimmers need cheering as well!

Lol. I guess running community is more openly supportive like that. It's what I am used to so when someone cheers me on I would take it as a sign of support. I do that at sporting events too, but I doubt getting in someone else's face while running and screaming "AAAAAHHHH YEAAAAAAAAH! WOOOOHOOOO!" is socially acceptable way to support them. "Good job" is a little more polite lmao.

I grew up running cross country in HS- and yes... you yelled and cheered people on. It was 100% expected.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's quite a normal phenomenon where I live too, more so along the multi-use paths where I'm likely to encounter the same cyclists, runners & dog walkers on a regular basis (I live is a smaller suburb where, I'm happy to say, it's customary to greet other users on the path with a wave or bonjour/good morning)

On the streets I've only had a few expressions of encouragement and the occasional "Run Forrest, run!"
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Are people saying this in the first 5 mins of a run or after you have been out running for an hour plus. I have a loop on my local trail. It's an easy 5k and most of the time you just nod or wave to fellow runners on the first pass.

But when doing a long run 10+ miles on the trail, you see the same faces over the time you are out there and after the hour mark, you normal say something like "doing well" because it just gets weird seeing the same person and keeping on just nodding/waving at them.

When you hit 2 to 3 hours, it's generally things like, "why the *kitten* are we doing this."
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I personally feel it depends where you live. Whilst I was living in London I didn't really experience much support from others when out running, however now I live up North people are a lot more friendlier when out running.
    Whilst we may not always say anything out loud, we at least nod at each other and acknowledge the other person when passing each other.

I've found the running community to be the most supportive group out there, I've made so many wonderful friends and changed my complete outlook on life through running.

I'm always looking for more supportive friends on MFP so if you'd like to reach out then please by all means do so, :smile:
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I tend to run in the mornings and mostly pass commuters, dog walkers and school kids, none of whom have ever said anything. If I do see a parent with a toddler I tend to get a confused look from said toddler so I just smile and wave.

But OP, perhaps you just look like the friendly sort with a face that warrants a hello/compliment. I've been told before that I tend to walk 'with a purpose' (read: look unapproachable) so perhaps that explains why I don't get any supportive comments :D
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This whole post had me giggling. I live in "Mayberry" pretty much. So, this wouldn't even phase me. We always say "hello", "how are you?", "thank you", etc. Lol But, I know the first time I ever ran, it was at the park, my kids were playing and I was running. I was much larger and people said "great job" and high fived and thumbs up as I went by. A couple people even asked if I would like a water from their picnic coolers. I'm sure they thought "look at her trying to get fit, right on!" It actually made me feel pretty dang good. And I've been running ever since. It only happened that one time. It's a lot better than the last time, when some weirdo tried to race me on the track.... No thank you ma'm, I'm only in a race with myself. Anywho, I just think people are being friendly. It's better than them laughing as you run by, imagine that. :tongue:
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can see how that would be annoying. Must live in an overly friendly area.

I'm not a jogger though, usually on the bike it's just a friendly head nod as we go by each other
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it can vary a lot from one area to another. Living in Southern California, people usually avoid making eye contact with each other like their lives depend on it. When I visited Texas, I was floored by how friendly everyone was, even people just walking by. At first it felt really weird but then I realized- this is awesome!!!

It's not just Texas; it's pretty much the whole middle part of the country.