Starting again

Options
Where to begin when starting again.
Watching what I am eating.
Want to just need an attitude change.
It is true........the older you get the harder this is to lose weight.
I want to just be careful.
Shots in knees last week. Cortisone.
Taking some pounds off would be helpful for sure.

HELP

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,811 Member
    Options
    me too! I agree with everything you mention. I have yo yo d for at least 40 years usually the same 10-15 pounds but this last time is bad. At least 20 pounds and I can tell it's more fat than before. I got a new fitbit HR tracker and am going to work on CT5K (doing half at a time since my knees are bad also). I know as we get older we also need to do some weights but gyms are not my thing - so just free weights at home. I really like MFP/Fitbit and it worked very well for me in 2012 so hopefully I can stick with it again - and you too! Trying to figure out where I go off track on my yo yo thing is like spinning my head in a tornado. So I just really can't anymore. I think what I really intuitively know about myself is that I am like an alchoholic, I am either on the wagon or I am on a bender. There is no "normal" for me. sigh.
  • Polywoggs
    Polywoggs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also starting, again. I did very, very well with my "Bringing Sexy, Back", journey and did a great job at maintaining it but I've had a few mental & emotional setbacks that set me on a whirlwind (i.e. "when I'm high- I'm HIGH and when I'm low- I'm REALLY, LOW."). In the past 6 months I've had 2 deaths in my family, was diagnosed w/mild scoliosis (PT won't touch me, I've been referred to Physical Medicine for further evals) and it's true when they say 'Children pay attention to your actions- more than your words' because my daughter has become obsessive about her eating & exercise habits and even MORE obsessive about the # she sees on the scale. It's frightened me, so I laid off of myfitnesspal & stuck to just 'coaching her'. The last thing I want is for my 14 year old to turn 'great knowledge' into an 'obsessive compulsive disorder.'

Anyhoo- I'm here, I'm breathing & ready to 'Bring my 'Sexy', back!' ;)
  • callemiramar
    callemiramar Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's June! I haven't come close to where I thought I'd be. So I'm buckling down and revamping my diet and exercise plans. Feel free to add me~
  • Sungoddess_dee
    Sungoddess_dee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ahhh big sigh... I am back at day one again. I am being kind and gentle with myself but I had a REALLY!! kinda moment on the weekend.

I have an amazing dress I bought.. wore it once.. washed it and yep. you know where I am going with this... it shrunk! just a little.... just a little tight around the belly. So I did the fat girl clothing pull trick... and.... crap... the side tore... I haven't had a moment like that since I got married and had to have a panel sewn in to fit into my dress. I was so sad. Its progress for me that I didn't beat myself up about it but I am here again and starting to log. For me its all about accountability.

So for all of us getting back into it and starting over. Be kind to yourselves. I find if I beat myself up that makes me run for the comfort food!

I have a mind full of excuses, injuries and limitations but I know that everything is doable. I just need to work and focus on my mindset of not perfect. Just better. So have the cake, the wine or the fries... its not about depravation because that's not sustainable. Its just about trade offs.

• jmmwn01
    jmmwn01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    same here, kept telling myself I would be in a different place by now. Really need to focus....
  • pattycakes10117
    pattycakes10117 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello All. I seem to have the most problem with motivation..........Getting it go'n. I start rehab for my knees tomorrow for 4 wks..........maybe that will put me in the mood since I KNOW I WILL HAVE TO DO DAILY EXERCISES AT HOME TOO.............now and when I am finished to keep my knees strong.
    I have a friend who is heavy and she walks miles. Maybe now that my knees feel better .....I should try it again - hurt way too much before.
    Let's support each other..............I know I sure need it.
    I snacked this afternoon...................knowing I should not have. UGH.
  • pattycakes10117
    pattycakes10117 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am now retired.........so I have the time to exercise............started rehab for my knees today. Hope to be better to walk soon.
  • kathykatkitty
    kathykatkitty Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am also looking for support and motivation. It's a rough road we travel. Feel free to add me. ☺
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    An attitude change is where to begin if you want this to last.

Don't just watch what you are eating, log it carefully and hit your calorie goal every day.

It's not physically harder to lose weight as we age, but habits have had more time to solidify.

Don't think you need "motivation". And don't just try. If you want to do something, you do it. One thing is starting, another thing is continuing. So don't start something just to stop. Find a sustainable path to better health.

Don't set yourself up to do things you "shouldn't have" and then regretting it. Find out what you really have to do and what you really have to not do. This may take some investigation, because you will need to figure out "why" and then "how" you should do or not do those things. Then plan how to avoid the things you don't want to do, and make it easier to do the things you want to do.

Then you have to follow through. And you have to not give up or beat yourself up for not being perfect. It's impossible to be perfect, but it's also not necessary.