Other activities and marathon training?

Options
I am on my third week of marathon training. Is this mainly what I need to focus on or can I continue to bike? I bike to work (7 miles round trip) about 3-4 times a week, is this ok to do? And I want to do a duathlon at the end of July- 2 mile run, 14 mile bike, 2 mile run, is this ok as well? I have heard people say to concentrate only on the marathon training. I have dropped down to 1 day of weight training instead of 2.

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Um......you might have to wait for some expertise to weigh in here.
    But I am going to guess this is something you will have to figure out for yourself. If you begin to feel too tired, and that tiredness is interfering with your running and your pace, you may have to cut back.
    If not, I would think that there are some crossover benefits with biking; that is, additional training without the pounding of footsteps. I tend to find that when i lift weights it interferes with my running for a few days because my muscles are tired and I don't have the strength I normally would.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Seven miles isn't a great deal, but it really is a question of monitoring your energy levels.

Personally I ride as well as train for long distance and it's a good mix.

What's your weekly mileage at the moment and how does that increase in your plan?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I continued cycling and swimming during my marathon training block this winter. I wasn't focused on a specific time goal for the marathon and was approaching it simply as an off season training block. So when I reached the higher volume marathon training weeks, I dropped down from 5 to 4 runs/week including a long run. I continued to do my bike and swim workouts weekly.

As MeanderingMammal points out, its a question of monitoring how your body is handling the training load. If your base fitness is very solid and you are fueling and resting well, it might be a very nice mix.

My main concern was avoiding injury (and not reaching an aggressive time goal) during the build phase of marathon training, so my coach dropped the run days from 5 to 4 and we also built in an occasional rest day, as opposed to our normal 7 day/week training schedule.
  • sstini55
    sstini55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Giddyup Tim - I know what you mean about weights and being sore, I know that is something I will need to watch for sure. Especially with lifting heavy. I ran eight miles last summer the day after a long heavy weight training session and my legs were like lead, it affected my time for sure. thanks for the advice!
  • sstini55
    Options
    MeanderingMammal Member
    June 5, 2017 4:39PM
    Seven miles isn't a great deal, but it really is a question of monitoring your energy levels.

Personally I ride as well as train for long distance and it's a good mix.

What's your weekly mileage at the moment and how does that increase in your plan?

Currently I am at about 23 running miles per week , with a long run of 8-10. Last summer I continued this schedule, with my 7 mile biking to work and a longer weekend bike ride of up to 15 miles, but I wasn't training for a marathon. I know I will be increasing my running mileage as I get farther into training. Can I use the duathlon as a training day, or do I move my long run to another day that week?
  • sstini55
    Options
    Djproulx

I am not counting on breaking any records at the marathon :) just want to finish and have it not suck. I have been running for about ten years with an average base of 25-30 during the summer, and about 15 in the winter (hate the treadmill). This will be my first marathon and I appreciate any advice from those that have completed a marathon. Last summer with biking thrown in I averaged 50-70 miles a week with both running and biking.
  • sstini55
    Options
    4xshafgfm9jf.jpg

This is the plan I am following, except I ran a ten mile race this past weekend.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well, you're starting with a better base than I did during my first marathon AND your goals seem reasonable, so you're already in a good place. If the biking is mostly just your commute then you should be pretty acclimated to it by now.

Honestly, the signs of overtraining are easy to spot but sometimes it can be hard to recognize that that's what's going on. Different people recover at different rates, and initially in your training you can get away with a lot more than you can later. Once you start hitting those super long training runs you're going to need to prioritize recovery days, but a duathlon in July doesn't sound too outlandish to me.

If you start feeling fatigued, dead legs, low energy and tired all the time, small nagging aches and pains... then it's time to lay off of some of your other activities and focus in on running.
  • sstini55
    Options
    Hoshiko-
    Thank you for the response. Good to know my goals are reasonable and I'm not being crazy, I have never done a duathlon and I thought it would be fun. But I will definitely adjust biking miles as I get into higher miles if needed. I do have a hard time taking recovery days, I will have to make those a priority.
  • sstini55
    Options
    On my plan - the first column is the long run distance and the second column is the total weekly mileage
  • only6icecubes
    only6icecubes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's OK. It may help with recovery from your runs. You can also lift as well. Just not heavy. No reason to put on muscle weight. Do not do any leg weightlifting, only upper body. Low weight higher reps. Maybe do more body weight training. Core 3 times a week.

The duathlon is a maybe. Depends on the time between the 2 events. You should take off 2 full weeks of nothing after running a marathon. Do much do soon, including races could cause injury.

• sstini55
    Options
    Yes, it's OK. It may help with recovery from your runs. You can also lift as well. Just not heavy. No reason to put on muscle weight. Do not do any leg weightlifting, only upper body. Low weight higher reps. Maybe do more body weight training. Core 3 times a week.

The duathlon is a maybe. Depends on the time between the 2 events. You should take off 2 full weeks of nothing after running a marathon. Do much do soon, including races could cause injury.

I can feel I need to strengthen my upper body/core more as I feel it on longer runs that's were I feel tired first. Running and a bit of biking should be enough for legs? I will drop the legs weightlifting for now. The duathlon is at the end of July, the marathon is beginning of October. So there are two months between them.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Looking at the training calendar, seems as if you have plenty of separation between the duathlon and the marathon- Its a late July duo and then a late Sept marathon, correct? Given your current fitness base in each discipline, a July 2m/14m/2m duathlon should a fun speed workout. I'd treat it as my quality workout for the week, maybe take a recovery day or two when its over, and then refocus on the marathon for the remaining 8 weeks.

I also agree with Hoshiko that you'll want to stay alert for the warning signs of fatigue. I will tell you that the march marathon was my first (at age 59) and I found the late stages of marathon training left me more fatigued than the high volume weeks of half iron distance triathlon training that I am used to. Of course, recovery times get longer as we age, and I'm an old dude, so there's that. ;)

Good luck.

• sstini55
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Looking at the training calendar, seems as if you have plenty of separation between the duathlon and the marathon- Its a late July duo and then a late Sept marathon, correct? Given your current fitness base in each discipline, a July 2m/14m/2m duathlon should a fun speed workout. I'd treat it as my quality workout for the week, maybe take a recovery day or two when its over, and then refocus on the marathon for the remaining 8 weeks.

I also agree with Hoshiko that you'll want to stay alert for the warning signs of fatigue. I will tell you that the march marathon was my first (at age 59) and I found the late stages of marathon training left me more fatigued than the high volume weeks of half iron distance triathlon training that I am used to. Of course, recovery times get longer as we age, and I'm an old dude, so there's that. ;)

Good luck.

Yes I have two months between events. I like the idea of using the duathlon as speedwork. My goal marathon time is 4.15-4.25.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Cross training is actually recommended. It's great to mix up your training with other activities. Cycling is a great one, so is rollerblading. It's about using different muscles in your legs and to save you from boredom of doing the same thing over and over again. Your event coming up will be great to test your progress. It's what we call a B race. Your A race is your marathon. I do multiple triathlons including 70.3's before the Ironman. Also remember to listen to your body. If your body is just flat out tired take a rest day. Your body does get faster and stronger on rest days.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    What are you basing your marathon goal on? Simple rule of thumb is HM x 2 + @ 10 minutes for a very experienced high volume runner, and +20 or30 for a well trained beginner. Your marathon plan is low mileage, so I'd go for the high end. Having a reasonable goal makes a big difference on race day, because if you go at a pace that is too fast, by mile 13 or so you'll start fading and by 20 you'll be suffering. (Don't ask me how I know;-)

The biking shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless it's a really hilly route that tires you out. Triathletes routinely do a lot more. I'd save the weights for any xt days and cut back when you are tapering just before the race.

• sstini55
    Options
    JessM822 wrote: »
    Cross training is actually recommended. It's great to mix up your training with other activities. Cycling is a great one, so is rollerblading. It's about using different muscles in your legs and to save you from boredom of doing the same thing over and over again. Your event coming up will be great to test your progress. It's what we call a B race. Your A race is your marathon. I do multiple triathlons including 70.3's before the Ironman. Also remember to listen to your body. If your body is just flat out tired take a rest day. Your body does get faster and stronger on rest days.

Thank you, maybe I will plan for some rollerblading too.
  • sstini55
    Options
    What are you basing your marathon goal on? Simple rule of thumb is HM x 2 + @ 10 minutes for a very experienced high volume runner, and +20 or30 for a well trained beginner. Your marathon plan is low mileage, so I'd go for the high end. Having a reasonable goal makes a big difference on race day, because if you go at a pace that is too fast, by mile 13 or so you'll start fading and by 20 you'll be suffering. (Don't ask me how I know;-)

The biking shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless it's a really hilly route that tires you out. Triathletes routinely do a lot more. I'd save the weights for any xt days and cut back when you are tapering just before the race.

I am basing my marathon goal off my best guess actually. I didn't know there was a formula for it. I was hoping thru training I'd get faster and maybe make my goal. This is my first marathon, I have no idea what to expect.

The biking portion of the duathlon is flat, no hills, as is the running portion.
    The marathon is also relatively flat.

Thank you
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sstini55 wrote: »
    Currently I am at about 23 running miles per week , with a long run of 8-10. Last summer I continued this schedule, with my 7 mile biking to work and a longer weekend bike ride of up to 15 miles, but I wasn't training for a marathon. I know I will be increasing my running mileage as I get farther into training. Can I use the duathlon as a training day, or do I move my long run to another day that week?

That plan is pretty modest, so I don't see any issues. As others are suggesting, just build the Dua into your training.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Most marathon training programs build in cross training days. A Duathlon and some cycling shouldn't derail your training. In fact, many marathon programs call for 5 days of running and I have found my body does much better if I drop a running day and replace it with swimming or cycling. Be sure you have a zero day or two in your weekly schedule to give your body a chance to rest and repair!