How many have you have stopped running due to injury?

Options

Replies

• fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'll break the mold and say yes.. I gave up running because it was just too much of a pain in the *kitten* to manage the aches and pains (and injuries) I get from it. Shin splints, stress fractures, Plantar faciitis, IT band issues were pretty much facts of life for me while running. While I could do many things to make the aches and pains manageable during training bouts... they didn't go away until I simply stopped running. Plus, it really became a chore to have to worrying constantly about taking care of all the issues caused by running.

These days, I primarily use swimming as my go to cardio workout. It's the only activity I've never once hurt myself with (not saying you can't, just saying my body loves it). I do cross train with aerobics classes and yoga as well. It so much better to actually finish my workout and feel great rather then feeling like I just got hit by a semi!
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great posts on here. I had a terrible ankle injury last year, surgery to repair tendon and fracture in January. I was in a cast non-weightbearing for 6 weeks, then crutches/walking boot for another couple of weeks. Started running again early April, so I was 4 months+ with no running. Just ran my first post-injury 5K over the weekend.

I've been running for about 4 years, and had minor injuries before (missed less than a month with each), but with this major injury, it has only deepened my desire and motivation to get faster and run longer. As other posters have said, I learned a lot about anatomy and ways to prevent injury and care for my body.

Best of luck to you!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Define "stopped".. Yeah I hurt my Achilles/calf during a training run and Did Not Start my scheduled Memorial Day 5K. Able to use the rowing machine and stationary bike currently, still up to date with my lifting program, and once I feel I can run without re-injuring myself, I will. Did I stop running due to an injury? Yes, it happens. Have I stopped running due to an injury? Nope, will get back on the road as soon as I feel I'm able.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Currently returning from hip injury. I have been injured a couple of times, either from overtraining or through muscle imbalance. Trying to do other activities so I'm not "just" running to hopefully avoid this in future. I'm doing much more core and strength work and (childhood dream realisation) am also into my 5th month of weekly karate sessions - and loving it.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I stopped for the last two months to rehab my knee from an overuse injury, but I also wanted to focus on strengthening my legs more before getting back into it (lots of squats, lunges, stretches, etc). I want to get back at it though. I do have a bad ankle from (years of rolling, surgery, even broke it once) but honestly, good shoes have mostly fixed that.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I did not injure myself running but I did have to give up running. 7yrs ago I broke my my leg and tore all of the ligaments and tendons in my ankle (same leg). After almost a year of not walking, surgeries, rehab, (still have pins and rods) etc., it's still very weak. The doctor told me I would never run again. I'm not one to listen to doctors so after 5yrs of working on strengthening my ankle (that injury was worse then the broken leg) I decided to try a slow jog at the track across from our house. By the half mile mark I had so much ankle pain and instability that I gave up. I ended up in a boot again for a week or so trying to stabilize my ankle again. I've always been able to prove doctors wrong - not this time. I won't be running again. :(

I was a distance runner all through high school and college and loved it. While I was running I got shin splints and PF both. Just dealt with them, taped the shins for races, and went on with life. After kids I didn't have much time anymore. I do miss a good run. I lift progressively now and walk on the treadmill at no more then 3.0 mph. Beyond that I start to experience a lot of discomfort and instability.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Injury is common with runners, especially newer ones. We tend to try to do too much too fast.

I've been sidelined twice.

First time for just a couple of days - knee pain from shoes that didn't suit me. Get new shoes, wait for pain to subside, start running again. No problem.

Second time was for an overuse injury. I'd been off for a bit, jumped back in too hard. Ramped up my mileage too fast. Pulled a hamstring. From the feel of it, probably the semimembranosus. Anyway, healing was really no big deal other than it took months before I could run more than a mile without twinges - and I didn't run (other than a short test run per month) until those went completely away.

It's not smart to start back up after that type of injury while you still have even small pains. It's too easy to make them worse and end up back where you started. Or, to prevent the injury from ever completely healing and setting yourself up for an even worse injury. Why run with pain if you don't have to? Do other exercise that doesn't aggravate the injury until you can run pain free - work back into it slowly. And get that pelvis looked at - make sure you're OK to run from that standpoint as well.
  • pippahgte
    pippahgte Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had to stop running for 6 months after hip surgery to repair the torn labrum and arthritis in the joint. I admit that my consultant said I "probably shouldn't" run as it would wear away the joint faster and increase the necessity for a hip replacement. But.. I started again a month ago following the C25k and so far so good
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I've been a jogger (not really runner) for about 5 years. I broke my ankle in two places about 2.5 years ago, but NOT while I was running. It was a year recovery after surgery and after that I went back to running. I'm back at my distance and time with a plate and 9 screws in my ankle. I don't do much cross country type running as I am more cautious, I mainly stay on trailed paths, concrete or treadmill.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle just over 8 months ago and still am not healed enough to attempt to run.

I'm determined to get back out there though.

Highly recommended finding a good physio
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Stories:

Lots of nagging knee pains in high school. None as an adult over the last 20 years of running.

Right cross while biking - non-displacement clavicle fracture and minor strain. Kept me from running for 2 weeks.

Sideswiped while biking. No immediate damage beyond scrapes, but screwed up my form. Let to ITBS. Kept volume low and ran through it.

Ran the fastest 5k of my 30s with appendicitis. Found out 5 days later (non-acute), surgery a couple days later. Running 2 weeks after that.

ITBS was the worst. Took a long time to figure out, then longer to fix - rolling didn't help either.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've got so many running injury stories I wouldn't know where to begin.
    Shin splints. Sprained ankles. Torn meniscus. Tennis players leg.....
    Ran through them all. The problem with runners is that we keep going through discomfort. That's the name of the game. Right? We want to stop, but we keep going, despite the pain and discomfort. Sometimes we lose common sense.
    All that said, no, normal, regular running is not going to hurt a person or their knees. Researchers have followed long-time runners and looked at their knees with imaging machines. Barring a serious injury to the cartilage or ligaments that do not heal (like a torn ACL), they do not see evidence of accumulated damage. On the contrary, older runners seem to have healthier knees than the general population.
    Sometimes, doctors get the mistaken impression that something is harmful because they only see people when they are sick or injured. Guy comes in, his knee hurts, and he is a runner = running is bad for your knees. But the doctor never sees all those other guys who run all the time but don't come in.
    Researchers even once followed a group of runners running this cross-Europe, 2,000-mile race, with an MRI machine. They found that the runners knees showed evidence of being slightly inflamed and stressed for about the month. Their knee and ankle cartilage seemed to get degraded during that time. But after that the cartilage appeared to rebound and stay healthy for the rest of the race. It even seemed to regenerate.
    That suggests that running is actually good for your knees and ankles, and perhaps the other involved joints too.
    https://press.rsna.org/timssnet/Media/pressreleases/14_pr_target.cfm?id=1848
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy running, but it got to the point that my knees and hips constantly hurt. I finally had to give it up and started lifting instead.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If it hurts to run, don't run. But don't quit running because you might get hurt. Warm up, stretch wear great shoes that support your feet and ankles and have a great play list!
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy running, but it got to the point that my knees and hips constantly hurt. I finally had to give it up and started lifting instead.

Was that before or after your stroke?
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I was relatively lucky, I never had a running injury sideline me longer than a week to rest up.

Many times a "running injury" is nothing more than a pre-existing condition that has been exposed or made worse by running. I think with smart programming, proper precautions and some common sense, most running injuries can be avoided or minimized.

I totally agree with this. Many people want to blame running when it's actually poor form, bad shoes or as rybo said - a pre-existing condition that causes the injury/issue. Flat feet, weak ankles, arthritis, a previous non-running injury, etc. are more likely culprits. If you want to run, you'll find a way to run. If you don't - you'll find a reason not to.
  • RNinPitts
    RNinPitts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Achilles' tendonitis. The back of my right leg is deformed and always tight. I know when to rest and when I should stop. My knees bilaterally are stiff and ache. I'm concerned that I may have to move to alternative activity. I've been riding mountain bike a couple times a week for less high impact.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    marikaCL wrote: »
    I broke my ankle just over 8 months ago and still am not healed enough to attempt to run.

I'm determined to get back out there though.

Highly recommended finding a good physio
    You can do it! Time, patience and doing your PT exercises religiously!

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Was running 5ks regularly. Never injured myself running but tore my ACL doing martial arts. Walked a 5k in my knee brace about 2 months postop. Was cleared for flat straight path running after 12 weeks, so tried the treadmill, but every step hurt...
    Anyway it was about a year before it felt no different than the other knee.
    It depends on you and your goals. There's no shame in walking instead of running if it still bothers you. Deciding you aren't going to go out at all bc your are embarrassed to be walking or jogging slowly (IMO) is much worse.