afraid of carbs

Options
Have done a couple macro calculations online and it seems like my carb count is always higher than I think. Have the body type that can put on weight easy so I always back off the carbs but am I actually hurting my weight loss/muscle gain by not eating enough carbs?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. Most of my protein sources have carbs in them. Hasn't hurt weight-loss any. (Some days, I don't hit my post-exercise protein target, but I do hit the original with no issues.)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Omg the amount of carbs I ate to lose the baby weight, it was glorious. I love carbs and always will, I'd be a slug without them. When I'm cutting i eat 120-150 grams and now I'm maintaining so eat about 220-250 grams of carbs.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm making or passing my carb goal every day and still dropping pounds. I'll keep eating them
  • muri72
    muri72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It does not hurt you at all to go without carbs. Look into the Ketogenic diet. Many athletes are using that diet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the carbs. Don't eat the carbs -- not hugely important either way for weight loss.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    CICO is the bottom line, whether your whole calorie intake is doughnuts, lean chicken or broccoli. Make sure you weigh and log everything, and if you can't trust yourself with certain foods don't have them in the house. Or save some calories to have a small portion at weekends. Or do some extra exercise and use the calories for the "naughty" stuff
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    i cant exercise much due to a bad hip. I have a balanced diet around 1500 cals a day and, apart from lowish fat but not drastic, have around 150g potatoes a day or rice equivalent and either oatbran or 2 slices of bread at breakfast time. I am losing weight steadily. I have tried the low-carb diet and it did work but I put it all on again afterwards and felt pretty miserable the entire time I was on it... Now I have a little bit of everything as long as it fits in my daily cal allowance... but low-carb does work for some people...
  • Elijah8468
    Elijah8468 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Elijah8468 wrote: »
    Have done a couple macro calculations online and it seems like my carb count is always higher than I think.
    How high do you think it is, or should be, and why?

Have the body type that can put on weight easy
    Body type isn't the issue here - bad eating habits is what makes you gain weight.

so I always back off the carbs but am I actually hurting my weight loss/muscle gain by not eating enough carbs?
    You lose weight by eating in a consistent calorie deficit.
    Your muscles grow when you are using and resting them properly and getting enough calories, especially protein.
    You don't need to eat carbs, because your body can also create sugar from fat and protein, but
    they are delicious and not toxic or fattening, so you don't have to avoid them, and
    it's almost impossible to avoid them; lots of foods that contain carbs also contain essential nutrients that we can't get elsewhere.

I'm always at a calorie deficit but getting most f them from protien and fats. Some calculations have me taking in as many as 300g of carbs and that just seemed excessive to me. I'm down to 205 from 280 and I'm trying to keep as much muscle mass as possible while dropping a pound or two a week. Didn't know if no having enough carbs would hurt that
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i have pcos so i was told eat low carb to lose weight. Bottom line is i was miserable i tried high carb just counting calories and lost 100 pounds in a year. Carbs are literally the fuel your body uses. not scary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Have done a couple macro calculations online and it seems like my carb count is always higher than I think.
    How high do you think it is, or should be, and why?

Have the body type that can put on weight easy
    Body type isn't the issue here - bad eating habits is what makes you gain weight.

so I always back off the carbs but am I actually hurting my weight loss/muscle gain by not eating enough carbs?
    You lose weight by eating in a consistent calorie deficit.
    Your muscles grow when you are using and resting them properly and getting enough calories, especially protein.
    You don't need to eat carbs, because your body can also create sugar from fat and protein, but
    they are delicious and not toxic or fattening, so you don't have to avoid them, and
    it's almost impossible to avoid them; lots of foods that contain carbs also contain essential nutrients that we can't get elsewhere.

I'm always at a calorie deficit but getting most f them from protien and fats. Some calculations have me taking in as many as 300g of carbs and that just seemed excessive to me. I'm down to 205 from 280 and I'm trying to keep as much muscle mass as possible while dropping a pound or two a week. Didn't know if no having enough carbs would hurt that

If going low carb impacts your workouts (or recovery) then it would be counter to your goals. Only you can answer that.
    Carbs are also protein sparing as well as being the primary fuel for intense exercise.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If carbs are bad would athletes eat so much pasta before an event?
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are carbs! I love them! Different ratios work for different people. Somewhere around 40-40-20 works well for me (Protein-Carbs-Fat), depending on my workouts. If I'm running more than doing weights, I tend to need more carbs, and my fat percentage can often go up to around 30. If I'm doing more muscle-building workouts, then I need more protein. I can usually tell what I need more of by what unprocessed food I'm craving - for example, am I craving grilled chicken or fruit? My body lets me know. Bottom line, don't fear carbs. There's a lot of nutrition there. Junk food has empty carbs - but you probably already know to stay away from that! :smile:
  • qwebster01
    qwebster01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    if you dont eat carbs you'll lose weight faster.