Hobbies burn calories, too!

2»

Replies

• RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    I love to read so much so I involve that hobby that can involve sitting around into reading when I use my exercise bike, that way I am working out and I am reading and I can exercise longer than I would be able to if I was not reading hehe
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I love to read so much so I involve that hobby that can involve sitting around into reading when I use my exercise bike, that way I am working out and I am reading and I can exercise longer than I would be able to if I was not reading hehe

I do this with audiobooks. ;) Almost all cardio and household chores are done to audiobooks. I'm currently reading: The third book in the court of thornes and roses series and Wild: from lost to found on the Appalachian trail.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I also listen to audio books a lot, while walking at lunch and while biking. It's definitely more attractive for me to exercise if I've got a good book on the go. My library has three different app options to borrow audio books for free.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Lol why bump this? now everyone's going to think that sewing burns calories.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Lol why bump this? now everyone's going to think that sewing burns calories.

How do people even find these old threads?? lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I crochet for up to 8 hours a day and over the course of a year I slowly gained around 6lbs. Maybe if the hobby was something like gardening or something like that then maaaaaybe....it would burn slightly higher calories than sedentry. But fibre arts...no.

Gardening can burn a lot of calories, but it does depend on the type of gardening activity. Pulling up weeds is not going to burn a whole lot, though certainly more than being sedentary. But digging with a hoe or shovel, tilling, building or putting in new beds, lugging fertilizer or dirt, etc. can burn as much as many gym workouts.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I do this with audiobooks. ;) Almost all cardio and household chores are done to audiobooks. I'm currently reading: The third book in the court of thornes and roses series and Wild: from lost to found on the Appalachian trail.

Isn't it the Pacific Coast Trail. Not that it matters :), but I have read that book twice.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Be careful about counting the activity as 'extra' if you have your activity level set to Sedentary. I'm an office worker with a fitbit, and a few weeks ago, I enabled negative calories here on MFP. I discovered that, even with walking at least a mile on the treadmill every day at lunchtime, MFP is still subtracting calories during my workday, due to inactivity.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »

Isn't it the Pacific Coast Trail. Not that it matters :), but I have read that book twice.

Yes! I just started it and couldn't remember. Only the "from lost to found" part. LOL

I'm hoping I enjoy it. ;)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    How do these old posts keep getting pushed to the top? Who is going out looking for old posts?? Lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Wow, someone actually used the search function and found an old thread that answers their question. (hopefully)

Instead of creating yet another new thread on a tired old subject.

Old thread with good points already made is better than new thread that requires repeated comments.

Of course - just reading it instead of commenting on it would be better.

I'm always surprised in our day of being able to search and find what is already written - so many people are lazy and think they need their exact same question answered just for them.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    How do these old posts keep getting pushed to the top? Who is going out looking for old posts?? Lol

Quite often someone googles something, finds one of these old threads, registers hers and comments in the thread they found.
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »

I agree. that post was from 2012. I cross stitch, needlepoint and sew. I put my ironing board in the other room so I have to walk to iron. . . works great. More steps for me!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »

I was hoping "Wild" would be a good book for falling asleep, like the journeying parts of Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. Unfortunately, it is too well written to help me fall asleep and the mother parts are getting to me - my own mother is 80 and I have finally become aware of her inevitable mortality.