Share your lunch recipes with me!

Options
lifeisahighway
lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
I'm in a bit of a lunch rut! Please share some of your favorite lunch recipes with me. Inexpensive ideas would be cool. Vegetarian ideas would be awesome. Pictures of the meals would be fantastic! <3 Thanks guys!

Replies

• kas1317
    kas1317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lunch: I usually eat at my desk and have low cal wraps with chicken or turkey or salads with chicken. (no veg sorry). sometimes, I even have a lean pocket! LOL
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I pack a "snack lunch". Today it's vanilla greek yogurt mixed with 1 tbsp of peanut powder, watermelon, mini bell peppers, and a snack size thing of fresh mozzarella cheese.

I really like sandwiches on Dave's Killer Bread too. I like that I can add extra turkey or chicken for protein and pack in the veggies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I cook healthy meals for dinner and most days I have leftovers for lunch the next day. Today will have a salad of fresh greens from our garden topped with leftover salmon and a boiled egg.
  • taurian14
    taurian14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com is a great site. So is http://www.thebewitchinkitchen.com I've made several of the recipes from there and have not been disappointed.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm in a rut too!! I've been eating a sandwich with veggies and dip every day for the last like 2-3 weeks. I've been too lazy to prep myself something for the week.

Something I usually go back to is I bake a couple chicken breasts and then just eat half of one each day with some veggies. Boring but it is the most filling (for the calories) meal I know of.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My lunches are boring. I prep breakfast, lunch, and 2 snacks every night so I tend to eat the same thing for a week at a time.

Sandwich, pickle, half a serving of veggie chips. I eat at my desk every day and don't have easy access to a microwave.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I often take a can of soup. Not the best in terms of sodium, but it's dirt cheap and convenient.

When I'm trying to be "better," I will do meal preps and take them for the week. I imagine you could take a lot of the rice bowl meal prep recipes and just sub lots of veggies in place of chicken.

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a49325/creamy-cheddar-quinoa-with-chicken-and-spinach-recipe/ This one is soo tasty! You could easily do broccoli, zucchini, etc instead of chicken. Tomatoes would def. taste good in it too.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/versatile-veggie-bowls-for-every-flavor-craving/
  • bruceismycat
    bruceismycat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This week I had cut up cucumber, tomatos, carrots, little feta, and chicken and shaken up with Italian dressing. It was quite tasty!
  • Fitterhealthier
    Fitterhealthier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pad Thai: 50g dry rice noodles, soaked in COLD water for 1 hour. Follow any pad thai recipe you like, but do *not* cook your noodles in water before stir frying. This method stops them clumping together.

Mixed veggies of your choice, sliced. So onions, bell peppers, zucchni, spinach, beansprouts, broccoli....and protein of your choice - tofu, shrimp, you know how this goes.....

Stir fry the veggies in 1tsp oil in a non stick pan or wok until a little soft. Add tofu/shrimp stir a min or so. Add the drained rice noodles and cook, stirring with a wooden or large plastic fork (keeps noodles from sticking) and add a little water - one spoonful at at time to help them soften if needed. When they are done (test one). If hard or not soft enough, keep stirring and add a little more water a spoon at a time. Then, when done, add: juice of half a lime, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp fish sauce or soy sauce, 1 tsp tomato paste and stir through thoroughly. Serve with fresh cilantro, chopped peanuts, squeeze o' lime. Double/Quadruple up for leftovers.
  • Fitterhealthier
    Fitterhealthier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    p.s. this is one to prep the night before, but it can make a few portions to freeze/fridge and nuke later!
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Orzo Vegetable Salad

* 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (Also great with quinoa, farrow or another grain of your choice)
    * 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
    * 1 cup marinated quartered artichoke hearts, chopped
    * 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
    * 2 green onions, chopped
    * 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or tofu 'feta'
    * 1 tablespoon capers, drained

* DRESSING:
    * 1/3 cup olive oil
    * 4 teaspoons lemon juice
    * 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
    * 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    * 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Cook orzo according to package directions.
    2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, artichokes, spinach, onions, cheese and capers. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients.
    3. Drain orzo and rinse in cold water. Add to vegetable mixture.
    4. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Serves 6.

Nutritional Facts 2/3 cup: 259 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I tried this recipe lately for Tuna Pasta Salad and really liked it: allrecipes.com/recipe/70208/amelias-tuna-macaroni-salad/

To make it healthier, I used whole wheat macaroni, a mix of low fat mayo and plain yogurt, added extra tuna, and more veggies (carrots, green pepper, cucumber).

• abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to whip up a batch of breakfast burritos to freeze ahead of time so I can just grab one each morning. For now I usually have a mix of small random things like tuna, cottage cheese, oatmeal, cheese sticks, carrots and yogurt.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Here are a few that I use and my wife and kids love.

Spicy Goat Curry

3 pounds chopped goat meat
    4 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp black pepper
    6 tbsp. yellow curry powder
    1 large onion
    1/2 onion ( diced )
    1 jalapeno or habanero ( I used *1 * habanero seed and all )
    4 Garlic cloves
    1 large sprig thyme
    4 medium peeled sliced potatoes
    rice ( I use wild rice blend )

- Take meat, pepper, 5 tbsp curry powder, 1 large onion chopped, diced garlic cloves, habanero mix in large bowl, cover and marinate for minimum of 24 hours.
    - Take 4 tbsp olive oil and brown meat mixture
    - add 2 cups hot water and bring to simmer for 1 - 1.5 hours ( add water as needed)
    - add thyme, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 more cups hot water and bring to boil
    - once its boiling add potatos, 1 tbsp curry powder and simmer for another 30-60 minutes or until meat is really tender and potatoes are slightly firm.
    - boil rice of choice
    - smother with curry and ENJOY!
    Banana Egg Pancakes
    One egg
    Half banana
    cinnamon

Crack egg into bowl with half banana. Smash and mix with a fork so its slightly clumpy. Add cinnamon for flavor. Cook on low heat while you eat the other half of the banana and enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________________

1 pound ground turkey sausage
    1 bag frozen veggies
    1 bag real brown rice ( no instant)
    favorite spices for flavor

Cook meat with spices, boil rice and veggies. Portions will vary depending on your weight and calories. My wife does 1/2 cup rice, 1/4 cup turkey and 1/4 cup veggies. Should be around 280 calories and last 4-5 meals.

• Superlucia
    Superlucia Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Foodfavor wrote: »
    I had this for lunch today http://www.skinnytaste.com/cheeseburger-salad/ It was SUPER tasty. SkinnyTaste is a great sit efor recipes and ideas.

I like that site. I have used several of their recipes.